PDA

View Full Version : Cadbury chocolate contains vegetable fat?

Beemer
24th May 2009, 18:07
While looking at another online forum I discovered a story from an Aussie newspaper (http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2009/05/22/75065_food-wine.html) about Cadbury adding vegetable fat to their chocolate. I haven't bought anything other than cooking chocolate for ages so I can't check my packets but has anyone noticed a change here in NZ? I know they are closing down some factories here and some chocolate will be made overseas, but I can't recall when or what products it covers. What's the point in buying it if it isn't full of milk and cocoa like before?

"TASMANIAN chocolate lovers are outraged at Cadbury's decision to add vegetable fat to its popular chocolate range.

They say it has reduced the famous brand's product to little more than compound chocolate.

Cadbury says vegetable fat was introduced to improve the chocolate and make it softer to bite.

But once-loyal customers are now vowing never to buy the product again because of the changes.

Cadbury changed its famous recipe at the same time as it introduced new packaging and a reduction in the size of its chocolate blocks.

Cadbury recently reduced the size of its moulded chocolate range.

The 150g block has been re-sized to 100g/110g, the 250g block has been downsized to 200g/220g and the 400g block is now 350g.

Cadbury Corporate Communication Manager Daniel Ellis defended the move.

"Our research and consumer testing shows that adding a small amount of vegetable fat to our recipe makes the chocolate slightly softer to bite, whilst still maintaining the great taste of Australia's favorite chocolate," he said.

"This research shows that consumers are still happy with the taste of Cadbury Dairy Milk milk chocolate that includes vegetable fat."

Mr Ellis said a change in the shape of the blocks also influenced how it tasted. (I can't believe this bullshit!)

"The new-look Cadbury Dairy Milk milk chocolate blocks now feature wider chocolate squares. The change in chocolate square shape may provide some consumers with a different taste to the one they are used to because the new wider chocolate squares provide a more even distribution of chocolate taste throughout the mouth.

"The smaller squares from the former block tended to concentrate the delivery of the chocolate to a smaller area of the mouth."

But consumers remain unconvinced: "There's nothing now to set Cadburys apart from Chickenfeed chocolate," said one disgruntled customer.

"It hasn't improved the chocolate -- it's ruined it.""

merv
24th May 2009, 18:34
I hate this smaller size higher price stuff we keep getting from manufacturers so downsizing the 250g block to 220g or less is outrageous.

My other favourite piss off in that area is toilet paper - once every roll was about 230 sheets, now many are 190 or 180 even. What a ripoff.

Buy Whittakers chocolate, all the way from Porirua now then eh!

rickstv
24th May 2009, 18:46
I have several friends in Brisbane and The Gold Coast. When ever I visit them, they all ask me to bring them some Cadburys Dairy Milk as the chocolate there tastes different. and not just since the Ausies started adding vege oil.

I have to take their word for it as I prefer dark chocolate myself.
R:msn-wink:ick.

riffer
24th May 2009, 19:02
Meh.

Don't bitch. At least you can eat the stuff. <_<

Grumpy
24th May 2009, 19:09
[QUOTE=merv;1129226487
My other favourite piss off in that area is toilet paper - once every roll was about 230 sheets, now many are 190 or 180 even. What a ripoff.
[/QUOTE]

Especially with them adding that vege crap to the chocolate these days .... we cant afford to skimp on the bog paper! <_<

merv
24th May 2009, 19:16
Especially with them adding that vege crap to the chocolate these days .... we cant afford to skimp on the bog paper! <_<

Yeah how loose is that making the Aussies?

coffeejunkie
24th May 2009, 19:36
Nope just checked a label and no they haven't added the fat here YET but i'm with Merv on this one....Go Whittakers!!!

Steam
24th May 2009, 19:40
I have several friends in Brisbane and The Gold Coast. When ever I visit them, they all ask me to bring them some Cadburys Dairy Milk as the chocolate there tastes different. and not just since the Ausies started adding vege oil.
The chief engineer at Cadbury's Dunedin say Cadburys Chocolate is going to have a standardised taste and recipe worldwide within a year or two.
So just like McDonalds, you'll be able to go anywhere in the world and buy identical shitty chocolate/burgers.

Swoop
24th May 2009, 19:51
Damn right! The dairy milk is far superior.
Also, it is on special at Pack & Save at the moment...:shifty:

I have several friends in Brisbane and The Gold Coast. ... they all ask me to bring them some Cadburys Dairy Milk as the chocolate there tastes different.

It is that fucking horrible "carob" choc. Disgusting stuff.

YellowDog
24th May 2009, 20:02
In the UK they have used Veg Fat for ages and the French won't recognise it as Chocolate. They have branded it Vegolate and hate it when their natives buy it. So far as I know the NZ Cadburys contans more coco and has not yet been 'vegolated'. I understood the reason for this is that the veg fat is not able to cope with the higher temperatures in this part of the world. If the Aussies are now doing it then NZ will not be far behind. Bad news for the 'chocoholicly aflicted' NAMELY ME.

davebullet
24th May 2009, 20:46
There is a a reason Aussie chocolate is "browner" than ours....

peasea
24th May 2009, 20:53
There is a a reason Aussie chocolate is "browner" than ours....

Local content?

Oh that's so lame.............

bane
24th May 2009, 21:02
Mr Ellis said "a change in the shape of the blocks also influenced how it tasted". (I can't believe this bullshit!)

Actually this isnt necessarily bullshit at all; the size of chocolate put into the mouth can influence the perceived flavour, due to volatiles and melt characteristics of the contained fat (the heat of your mouth is the major melting source - amount of chocolate changes so does the melt profile in the mouth.

In addition, where in the world you eat a particular chocolate can also influence the flavour. Chocolate made for hot countries (e.g. West Indies), will behave and taste different when eaten in NZ - often displaying a waxy characteristic where the taster feels that their mouth is coated with fat.
Fat profiles, (i.e. saturated - long and short chain - and unsaturated) which dictate melting characteristics, are key.

Small additions of vegetable oils can help perfect the desired fat profile for a particular chocolate. In my opinion if the addition results in a better performing and tasting chocolate, what is the issue?
(As long as the manufacturer doesnt hide the fact they have)

Ixion
24th May 2009, 21:19
The chief engineer at Cadbury's Dunedin say Cadburys Chocolate is going to have a standardised taste and recipe worldwide within a year or two.
So just like McDonalds, you'll be able to go anywhere in the world and buy identical shitty chocolate/burgers.

Hey dude! Long time no hiss. Have y' come down off that mountain then. Welcome back to trhe world (or commiserations, not sure which) .

Beemer
25th May 2009, 10:19
I think I'll stick to Guylian, Toblerone and Lindt then! I used to eat heaps of chocolate but don't any more, so I may as well buy nice stuff. I like some of the Whittakers chocolate and often buy their dark bars for cooking as it's usually cheaper than cooking chocolate. I quite like their coconut one too.

Headbanger
25th May 2009, 10:52

Your alive? :wari:

People have been asking after you in your mountain shack thread.

Anyway, All Aussie dairy products taste different then NZ dairy products, so having a standardised recipe won't make any difference when the ingredients themselves taste so different.

When I came back to NZ I feasted on milk, icecream and chocolate for months.

vifferman
25th May 2009, 11:47
In addition, where in the world you eat a particular chocolate can also influence the flavour. Chocolate made for hot countries (e.g. West Indies), will behave and taste different when eaten in NZ - often displaying a waxy characteristic where the taster feels that their mouth is coated with fat.
Fat profiles, (i.e. saturated - long and short chain - and unsaturated) which dictate melting characteristics, are key.

Anyway, All Aussie dairy products taste different then NZ dairy products, so having a standardised recipe won't make any difference when the ingredients themselves taste so different.
Yes, and yes.
It's largely due to the diet of the cows. The fats etc in the milk come from the food they eat: here it's mostly grass, in Switzerland it's mostly weeds; in the USA it's a mixture of chemicals, grain and feed trucked in from another state; in Australia it's mostly rocks, with some hay and grain thrown over the fence occasionally.

I used to drink non-skinny milk, but spent so much time working in Australia (mostly Perth) where the full-cream milk tastes really weird, that I switched to low-fat milk, just to get away from the taste.

Naki Rat
25th May 2009, 11:58
Cadburys is only chocolate flavoured sugar and fat anyways. It isn't a patch on real (70% + cocoa solids) chocolate like Whittakers Dark Ghana/Dark Mocha, Rapunzel or Green & Blacks, and nowhere near as good for you :drool:

vifferman
25th May 2009, 16:03
Cadburys is only chocolate flavoured sugar and fat anyways. It isn't a patch on real (70% + cocoa solids) chocolate like Whittakers Dark Ghana/Dark Mocha, Rapunzel or Green & Blacks, and nowhere near as good for you :drool:
What are you talking about? :confused:

I had some 70% cocoa solids Cadburys dark chocolate just this morning.

Naki Rat
25th May 2009, 16:07
What are you talking about? :confused:

I had some 70% cocoa solids Cadburys dark chocolate just this morning.

I was envisaging Cadbury Dairy Milk. So they do boutiquey type chocolate these days too.... I'm not trusted to be let loose in the supermarket much these days :laugh:

SARGE
25th May 2009, 16:32

BULLSHIT

the McD's tastes different here than it does back home and we REALLY need to educate you guys what a QUARTER POUND is

007XX
25th May 2009, 16:45
Personally, when it comes to chocolate, I am very happy to practice selective "degustation" (http://foodgeeks.com/encyclopedia/439/degustation/) and would rather have a smaller portion of really good stuff creating an orgasmic explosion on my tongue than gorge myself with insipid, tasteless quantities of supermarket crap.

The dark caramel from Whittakers is my only exception to my rule of expensive belgian chocolates :drool:

Patch
25th May 2009, 17:17
orgasmic explosion on my tongue
dirty girl :mobile:

bane
25th May 2009, 19:03
I used to drink non-skinny milk, but spent so much time working in Australia (mostly Perth) where the full-cream milk tastes really weird, that I switched to low-fat milk, just to get away from the taste.

That makes sense - flavour compounds concentrate in the fat, therefore the higher the fat in the dairy product, the stronger any "unusual" flavours will be tasted. As you pointed out, feed is a major contributor.

Hans
25th May 2009, 21:47
In the UK they have used Veg Fat for ages and the French won't recognise it as Chocolate. They have branded it Vegolate and hate it when their natives buy it. So far as I know the NZ Cadburys contans more coco and has not yet been 'vegolated'. I understood the reason for this is that the veg fat is not able to cope with the higher temperatures in this part of the world. If the Aussies are now doing it then NZ will not be far behind. Bad news for the 'chocoholicly aflicted' NAMELY ME.

In fact, the whole EU with the exception of the UK doesn't allow Cadbury to pass their shit off as chocolate. The two reasons are a) Veg. fat b) Cocoa content is not high enough. I think you'll also find that the summer temperatures in Europe are often a lot higher than NZ.

Rant over.

007XX
26th May 2009, 08:44
dirty girl :mobile:

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1804/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1804R-11366.jpg

Headbanger
26th May 2009, 10:22
In fact, the whole EU with the exception of the UK doesn't allow Cadbury to pass their shit off as chocolate. The two reasons are a) Veg. fat b) Cocoa content is not high enough. I think you'll also find that the summer temperatures in Europe are often a lot higher than NZ.

Rant over.

Fuck Europe.:done:

Pixie
26th May 2009, 10:57
in Australia it's mostly rocks, with some hay and grain thrown over the fence occasionally.

And the odd dead kangaroo

geoffc
26th May 2009, 11:38
Yes, and yes.
It's largely due to the diet of the cows... in Australia it's mostly rocks, with some hay and grain thrown over the fence occasionally.

Just back from a few weeks in Perth & W.A. Their dairy, food, meat, honey, etc all tastes like crap. Stuff is grown in mostly sand so no wonder it has no flavour. Drive 150 kms from Perth north south or east, its just more sand with a few rocks. Great to come home but I did enjoy their warm climate.

merv
26th May 2009, 18:28
So I go to our local New World today and flippin heck they've got the Aussie made Cadburys, light weight, new packaging. So I bought the Whittakers real 250g blocks. Bugger, I liked some of those Cadbury flavours, but what a ripoff.

Pixie
27th May 2009, 08:49
Last time I looked the cacao tree was a vegetable

merv
6th June 2009, 12:54
Damn checked it out further and all the New Worlds in our area have the Aussie stuff in the little box style packaging at the new small light weight, but sadly same price as it used to be. Made in Melbourne, full of vege fat. What's happened to all the made in Dunedin Kiwi stuff?

Go Whittakers - New World unashamedly has labels on the racks "Made in NZ" for that stuff.

Beemer
7th June 2009, 10:55
I must confess I have been trying to save money so don't wander down the confectionery aisles so I still haven't see what the local shops have on their shelves!

Sounds like they are heading the way of England - most of their chocolate (apart from the high end handmade stuff) is revolting.

I'll have to get my chocolate fix from a homemade self-saucing chocolate pudding instead - with the best Dutch cocoa that has the most intoxicating smell - mmn, think that's what I'll have tonight to cheer myself up after getting a job then being called two days later and told they don't actually have any money in the budget to employ me! :crybaby:

Sollyboy
7th June 2009, 11:20

Agrees , its better chocolate and better for our economy

bikemike
7th June 2009, 11:31

I agree. Rapunzel Bittersweet was my absolute favourite real chocolate. Was not too expensive either at around $3.99 for a 100g bar, tasted divine.
However, they recently revamped the whole range and went for skinny slabs, lighter bars (80g) and higher price.

The only milk chocolate worthy of the name is Green and Blacks Milk - though they were bought out by Cadbury a while ago - so they can do it right.

Mars or Cadbury; it's a bit like Holden vs Ford eh, or Celtic vs Rangers, Labour vs National.... It's just a brand.

Isn't Whittakers dark chocolate flavoured? Not real stuff. There is some nice enough stuff down south, can't recall the name - little bars with cooured foil. Chunks are too big though and you do have to let it melt to taste it. No excuse for adding HVF though.

merv
7th June 2009, 12:58
Nah bikemike mate Whittakers is the real stuff or else my vegan daughter wouldn't touch it.

I filled out Cadbury's online form on their website to offer my comment too. Will see what response I get back.

Beemer, shame about the job, but a chocolate fix will help hehe.

The Pastor
7th June 2009, 13:15
mmm natella and marshmellow sandwich!

Max Preload
7th June 2009, 18:51
I'm not much of a chocolate eater - very occasionally only. That said though I did notice when I went to grab a 'Energy' block at Pak'n'Slave last week that it was much smaller and they'd attempted to disguise that fact with a cardboard shell. Needless to say it stayed where it was until I investigated and with the revelations in this thread I won't be buying it again but spending my money on something else or just keeping it in my pocket. Fuck 'em.

coffeejunkie
7th June 2009, 19:12
FOR FUCK SAkES!!!!!! The only choclate that should come in a box are stuff like milky tray and contential chockys

yama
10th June 2009, 20:15
:angry2: Either its the nasty vegetable fat or less cocoa content, but the new stuff tastes awful.

Even worse, they changed the block weight from 250g down to 200g, but kept the packaging the same size, and at same price!!

bikemike
15th July 2009, 00:00
Cadbury on the radio today saying it's in response to customer demand for softer chocolate. Who the hell did they ask?!!! But did then say also what with the price of cocoa going up a nice family treat of a block of CDM was getting over ($5?) price threshold and using palm oil helps them keep it an affordable treat.

Haha!

Max Preload
16th July 2009, 22:10
No point in making 'affordable' something nobody WANTS!

I bought some Whittakers on Monday, in protest. :finger: Might go crack it open now.

merv
16th July 2009, 22:39
The price argument is ridiculous because our New World used to do the old Cadburys on special 2 for $6. The new stuff they are only doing down to about $3.45 a block, so I am happier to pay slightly more for Whittakers which is about $3.75 just to support NZ made.

If you saw the TV tonight the smug Cadbury guy was claiming that sales are holding up - yeah right - I'd say they have given Whittakers the biggest advertising boost ever, free of charge to Whittakers. All good for business in Porirua yay.

merv
20th July 2009, 21:53
So who is buying the downsized Cadbury blocks, anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30wsqtiBrVw

Love the facts too http://www.cadbury.co.nz/About-Cadbury/A-Glass-and-a-Half-of-Facts.aspx how can it be made with "fresh South Island milk" if the stuff is made in Australia? They aren't flying the milk to Australia surely?

They are really missing the point that I used to espouse the virtues of the great New Zealand product that tasted better than foreign stuff because it was made here with local ingredients, but alas it is now just another foreign brand.

Fudmucker
22nd July 2009, 07:12
In South Africa, Cadbury is already down to 80g and 180g slabs...at the same price, of course!

cc rider
22nd July 2009, 11:22
Yeah how loose is that making the Aussies?

Hey! Who you calling loose?? :oi-grr:

Damn, people, it's only chocolate. Don't like it, don't bloody eat it. :dodge:

(little bit of a Malteser fetish) :o

merv
22nd July 2009, 13:03
Damn, people, it's only chocolate. Don't like it, don't bloody eat it. :dodge:

Yeah that's why we are buying Whittakers, which last night was down to $3.59 a block in my New World and Cadbury blocks were $4.23, the Whittakers shelves were getting rather empty. Can you Aussies get Whittakers over there easily enough?

peasea
22nd July 2009, 13:15
So who is buying the downsized Cadbury blocks, anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30wsqtiBrVw

Love the facts too http://www.cadbury.co.nz/About-Cadbury/A-Glass-and-a-Half-of-Facts.aspx how can it be made with "fresh South Island milk" if the stuff is made in Australia? They aren't flying the milk to Australia surely?

They are really missing the point that I used to espouse the virtues of the great New Zealand product that tasted better than foreign stuff because it was made here with local ingredients, but alas it is now just another foreign brand.

I'm with you there. The more I see 'Made In' labels that don't include 'NZ' the harder my resolve to look around for a chosen item that's made here. Keep your neighbours in work, provided it's not a gross rip-off of course. I don't mind a few extra bucks to keep things in-house.

I can see us selling water to the Ozzies soon though, be a piece of cake from the West Coast in big tankers. They wouldn't be much of an environmental hazard if they foundered either.

peasea
22nd July 2009, 13:16
Hey! Who you calling loose?? :oi-grr:

(little bit of a Malteser fetish)[/FONT] :o

Are you an Australian female???

cc rider
22nd July 2009, 13:30
Yeah that's why we are buying Whittakers, which last night was down to $3.59 a block in my New World and Cadbury blocks were $4.23, the Whittakers shelves were getting rather empty. Can you Aussies get Whittakers over there easily enough?

Yeah, heaps of yummy Whittakers here. Let me know if you guys need any & I bring some over :banana:

Cadbury is generally expensive here too.

I once got a birthday present of 24 Picnic Bars, that were made for the Asian market - they had sultanas in them - was suspicious at first as you would be - but damn they were good - we have friends that work at cadburys up the road. :clap:

hi peasea :finger:

merv
22nd July 2009, 13:31
I can see us selling water to the Ozzies soon though, be a piece of cake from the West Coast in big tankers. They wouldn't be much of an environmental hazard if they foundered either.

Yep all that water that is wasted out of the Manapouri tailrace should be caught and sold to the Aussies instead of killing the poor wee dolphins that try to live in the Sound.

merv
22nd July 2009, 13:32
Yeah, heaps of yummy Whittakers here. Let me know if you guys need any & I bring some over :banana:

Thanks for the offer, but no worries mate its made right here in the great city of Porirua.

cc rider
22nd July 2009, 13:48
Thanks for the offer, but no worries mate its made right here in the great city of Porirua.

I know, but at the rate KBers seem to eat chocolate, I thought demand might exceed supply. Aaah! :eek5: :laugh:

* Was angling for excuse to come visit, but I can see another aussie (even 1/2 aussies) ain't wanted. LOL

Edit: welcome

Lissa
22nd July 2009, 14:11
I'm going to buy Whittakers Chocolate from now on, because I like it and its made in NZ.

But.... they dont make my fav :( Peppermint Dark Chocolate.

My brothers wife is from Switzerland, she absolutely hates the chocolate over here, she thinks it tastes grainy. Swiss chocolate is smoother and pretty damn yummy, she gets it shipped over rather than eat whats on offer here.

merv
22nd July 2009, 19:18
Was angling for excuse to come visit, but I can see another aussie (even 1/2 aussies) ain't wanted. LOL

Hey definitely visit you are welcome, but bring me some Aussie stuff. Something like Hillier's chocolates would be nice :cool:

But.... they dont make my fav Peppermint Dark Chocolate.

My brothers wife is from Switzerland, she absolutely hates the chocolate over here, she thinks it tastes grainy. Swiss chocolate is smoother and pretty damn yummy, she gets it shipped over rather than eat whats on offer here.

Hey Lissa sorry about the lack of Peppermint Choc. As for Swiss chocolate, my dear daughter lives in Switzerland now but she's vegan so won't eat anything with dairy in, so I've got to send her Whittakers dark stuff from here :rolleyes:

Max Preload
22nd July 2009, 21:48
I'm going to buy Whittakers Chocolate from now on, because I like it and its made in NZ.

But.... they dont make my fav :( Peppermint Dark Chocolate.

Easily solved... just brush your teeth BEFORE eating some dark chocolate. No need to thank me... :whistle:

cc rider
22nd July 2009, 23:38
Easily solved... just brush your teeth BEFORE eating some dark chocolate. No need to thank me... :whistle:

just make chocolate flavoured toothpaste, sorted :woohoo:

you can thank me though, maxi :innocent:

So, about this Preload......should I ask??? :gob: