View RSS Feed

all4A50s newbie experience

experiences of returning to riding and racing.

1. And back we go and another one starts.

I have decided to put Zensen and myself on diets as I am heading back off to A Grade. After winning B Grade for the second time I'm sort of in the position of being really too fast for B but not quite fast enough for A Grade.

So to hopefully gain the 1-2 second improvement in times I'm aiming to slim the bike by 20 kg. Amy and I removed the fairing and mount, losing 4.5 kg. Next I'm going to remove the rear cone off the exhaust and see how much that saves versus noise (as in I'll ...
  2. Hip hip hooray for me

Got the 1st for Motorad B Grade and a 3rd for King of Kaitoke and to top this off I managed a not last and not lapped A Grade race on a very wet track;

The day started with my daughter cross-threading one of the front caliper bolts while helping me change to wets. Luckily we found another bolt, after a few words were spoken under my breath.

Practice race; Started on pole and got a nice clean run.

First points race; Started on pole (as Mark hadn't ...
  3. Smooth as butter

Kerry has performed a feat of magic on Zensen's forks. He has installed gold emulsion valves and removed the sag. Unfortunately the last meet was rained out so I have missed out very much trying them out. lets hope the meet next month weather is ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. and now onto landing

Well the bike is putting out the right stuff, but stopping at the other end is now an issue. I am about to strip the forks off to have them rebuilt and will be getting a YSF shock in the near future. After the Fish rode my bike and clocked the same lap times while battling the bike has led me to getting the suspension rebuilt and moving the seat back to get some more space to move around on the bike.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. And we are still jumping

Round three is done and dusted.
    Big thumbs up to fish for his amazing abilities of the organizational type and still go out and win on bikes he hasn't raced before. And to Zensen who showed her true form;

Started the day with a walk around the track with a group of riders. Got some pointers for lines to follow.

Practice race; Started in fourth, finished in second. Went fast and don't remember a thing except for trying to keep to the lines we spoke about earlier. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. THe long road to recovery becomes a short jump to success.

Last Sunday here in Wellington we had the 2nd round of King of Kaitoke. I got a two seconds and a fourth (a bolt in my gear change mechanism broke leaving me stuck in fourth gear).

it was nice to do well but feel a bit bruised and battered from some of the comments people are making about lines and passing. The hard part in all of it is I really have no clue when it comes to the lines one should take. I lost a lot of confidence last year where I was totally out classed by the other ...
  7. The long road to recovery

Started rebuilding Zensen's engine last night and with any luck I will have the engine finished in the next day or two. Due to me being paranoid about getting the parts in time before the next round I have managed to end up with a spare conrod, complete crankshaft and piston, rings etc. This is a good thing as it starts to build up spares. I'm debating about developing another bucket using a worked CBR150 engine and putting it into a RS or a RG frame.

Wanisami heart beat is returning. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. It was all on till the fifth lap and then non piston slap piston slap was heard

Don't they say something along the lines of preparation is key, or something to that effect.

One must also include in this, "check any engine mods you have done religiously when trying out something new!"

Half way through the first race of the day my engine got very very noisy to where it sounded like one of the cam chain guides had shat itself. What is was the piston grinding against the edge of the cylinder wall as one of the brass buches and aluminum bullets had ...
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast