View RSS Feed

General Bike Maintenance

Bike servicing, rebuilding, restoring, manuals, etc..

1. What a long road of Prep III

10.30 the night before a meet and the scramble to prep the bikes and load up is finally over.

Ended up swapping the fairing, tank and seat on Ikasu with Wanisami to tidy her up. I found an RG50 fairing which I put on Wanisami for shits and giggles and with the longer seat, number boards and tank she looks like a classic retro bucket.paint job even works.

Oh well off to laa laa land before a delightful 5.45am start.

I'll post some photos as soon as I ...
  2. What a long road of Prep

Biker Bee and myself have feverishly prepping our stable of buckets, getting ready for the next KoK. We need to make the next meeting in Sept though to give the bikes and good shake down. here's how they stand;

IKASU ("Old but cool"), RX125 powered RG50 chassis, mid repairs, looking at transplanting engine into another frame.

WANISAMI ("Sword"), RG50, all ready to go. If anyone wants to have a turn at buckets PM me.

ZENSEN ("Fight the good fight"), CBR150, ...
  3. And the quicker it goes.

I spent a nice 1/2 hr practicing starting on Zensen in 2nd and managed to scrub 1.3 secs off over a 110 mtr distance. With some more practice I will hope scrub another 1/2 seconds.

The bike does have a miss when idling, which it didn't happen until I put in the race cams and doesn't effect power at the back wheel.

Ikasu is also coming along. I have changed her over to racer change so I don't stuff up gear changes this Sunday. Started putting on race sliders, dropped ...
  4. How do I hide the cost this time from my wife

The eternal question posed many a husband since men have tried to faster.

Last weekend I took my older daughter up to ride (giving me an excuse so I could race there) at Roy's Hill go-kart track, which she did with much enjoyment. I must admit I had my heart, lungs and stomach stuck in my throat each time she headed out with visions of broken bone x-rays and a very angry wife. But by the end of the second days racing I was one very proud Dad with the way she rode.

5. And back we go and another one starts.

I have decided to put Zensen and myself on diets as I am heading back off to A Grade. After winning B Grade for the second time I'm sort of in the position of being really too fast for B but not quite fast enough for A Grade.

So to hopefully gain the 1-2 second improvement in times I'm aiming to slim the bike by 20 kg. Amy and I removed the fairing and mount, losing 4.5 kg. Next I'm going to remove the rear cone off the exhaust and see how much that saves versus noise (as in I'll ...
  6. Hip hip hooray for me

Got the 1st for Motorad B Grade and a 3rd for King of Kaitoke and to top this off I managed a not last and not lapped A Grade race on a very wet track;

The day started with my daughter cross-threading one of the front caliper bolts while helping me change to wets. Luckily we found another bolt, after a few words were spoken under my breath.

Practice race; Started on pole and got a nice clean run.

First points race; Started on pole (as Mark hadn't ...
  7. Merry Christmas. happy New Year, Let the rubber hit the track & ride without a care.

Tomorrow is the first round of the King of Kaitoke and I can't wait. For me it's like being a kid on Christmas Eve and being unable to sleep cause your too exited.

I am going back to B Grade as I am not fast enough for A Grade. This should also working in favour for winning both B grade and King of Kaitoke as I am running 5 second quicker laps and am on a much faster bike.

From the people who were in B grade last year;
    Caleb would have been the toughest to race ...
  8. All packed up

I'm locked, I'm loaded and i wish I had had a decent nights sleep. Heading off to Wanganui to play pit bitch for the day then off to Taupo for my break from it all. Yea-ha. Test rode the bucket last night and seems all good. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. in theory each race should last 10-12 minutes so there should be too much trouble. The new clip handlebars made a huge difference in handling, hopefully no more painful wrists. See you on the other side
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast