View RSS Feed

General Bike Ravings

Biker culture, politics and general issues.

1. Japanese hoons

I thought I was just about done documenting the various bike species of Japan - but how could I forget these?! The bikes in these pics are not the result of a freak accident involving a truck full of paint, they are actually the way the owners intended them to be. Usually the owner of these kind of machine rides around in a group with his buddies ...
  2. Dad does Tokyo

My dad was here for a week last week. It was great to see him because every time I go back to NZ I go to Auckland, but I don't always manage to get to Levin where he lives. I have told him a few times that he should come over but he never seemed that interested, until lately when I pointed out that I would only be here a few months more and he might not get another chance.
    We spent a few days getting around by bike since I have so many now ...
  3. Daytrip robbery

On Saturday I went for a ride with some friends of my wife's, the first time I've been riding with more than two others. It was quite neat to see a string of ten bikes in front of me all going around the corners one by one. Great weather too.
    We went out to the east coast of Chiba which has a decent beach, which is not crowded, yay! Our friends were camping there but we decided to come back that evening since we needed to do a bit of shopping ...
  4. Another new bike

Now this is just getting silly. My mouse button finger slipped again and I bought another bike through an online auction. Only this time it was more costly and will probably cause me to sell most of the other bikes, if not all of them. At least now I can settle on one bike to take back to NZ. It's also nice to finally have a 'good' bike. Every other bike (or car for that matter) I have bought has been at least 14 years old, which makes them cheap to ...
  5. Anti-bike propaganda

Yes, the VFR does 170kmh! And up a slight incline too.

The photo here is of the back of a taxi. Almost every second taxi here has one of these stickers on the back, and they really piss me off. Roughly, it says:

(Caution) Motorcycles!
    Two-wheeler accidents! Frequent/numerous

And that's it - no particular mention as to the purpose of the sticker or any basis to the claim it presents. It seems that ...
  6. Riding my VFR400

[YOUTUBE]7pW07qc98D8[/YOUTUBE]
    Just a little vid I made the other night on my NC24. The speed through the tunnel at the end is from 100 - 155kph in fifth gear so in sixth gear I think it might even be able to do 170 - but its hard to find out with the roads I have available...
    a daytime vid would have been much better for viewing, but a weeknight is the only time there is that little traffic around. I still need to figure out a better setup for the sound too, to reduce wind ...
  7. A dinky little bike park

Check out this neat little bike park I found in the underground car park of the new Yodobashi shop in Akihabara. It has its own ticket machine and gate etc. This was quite a welcome find because it was pissing with rain so it was nice to be able to get changed and go straight into the shop without getting soaked. I almost didn't get a photo because the nazi carpark attendant told me it was against copyright or some bullshit that he couldn't even ...
  8. Another wacky scooter

I came across this one parked near me in a supermarket bike-park. As well as having the typical outrageous muffler and various blingy bits, this one was another step above the rest. It had some kind of pneumatic system to raise and lower the whole swingarm. To park it he doesn't use the side-stand, instead the whole bike lowers right down and rests on a couple of small runner wheels underneath the body. You cant see those little wheels too well in ...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast