Blog Comments

I did the Opotiki to Gissy run a few weeks ago. Part of a ride that turned into 3000km in the rain round the nth isl Had I known how bad it was I prob would have left it til the next day.. 150km in pouring rain in the dark with slips and trees down just took the fun factor away..Would be a great ride in the sun I feel..next time.
    Riding in the winter around there sounds COLD! A mate of mine rode from wellington to Auckland in the winter once, he stopped for a stretch on the desert road and found the water that had run into his pockets had frozen solid!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    The seal stops just outside Te Araroa, and then the short trip towards the lighthouse is all gravel. Just practise on gravel, get used to how the bike handles etc, and like anything, the more you practise, the better you will get.

its sealed from the bridge for @ 5-10km then broken sections of sealed & unsealed road before the final section heading to the lighthouse, I would suggest its only @10km of unsealed road leading to the lighthouse, worth it for the view though
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd
    was thinking of going to the lighthouse at East Cape but chickened out after my 'moment' on the road works 'cos I read somewhere it was mostly unsealed.
    The seal stops just outside Te Araroa, and then the short trip towards the lighthouse is all gravel. Just practise on gravel, get used to how the bike handles etc, and like anything, the more you practise, the better you will get.
    Yeah I think I had fun again. Need to plan ahead next time so I can stop in interesting places as I go along. Also want to get a better idea of how to ride on loose surfaces/unsealed roads - was thinking of going to the lighthouse at East Cape but chickened out after my 'moment' on the road works 'cos I read somewhere it was mostly unsealed.
    Cool sounds like you had a blast Rod! Sorry I couldn't make it this time!
    Maraehaku retreat in whangarua bay is my new fav spot heading around the east cape cheap with great views to boot
    We did call in and see you Grant, but you weren't home...

The thread is up now in Meetings Rodney.
    Thanks Mark, I'll keep an eye out sounds interesting.

Thought I recognised you but couldn't quite remember, sorry Grant . Definitely remember your avatar tho (poor stickman).
    Was me you were speaking with in Ta Araroa. We met on one of Mark and Anne's rides.

Had thought it was you, saw you in a couple of different places along the way Mamaku's etc obviously on your way to to Rotorua and we also follow the trailer with a palm tree for a while.
    Great read Rodney, there are some nice roads on your next trip pending. We did the East Cape in 08' and done in sunshine the whole way. I have an over night ride pin the making for the end of August so keep an eye out for that, something a little different
    There is a huge amount of organising a trip Rodney. Most of which goes into making it as easy/comfortable and affordable for everyone who attends to be honest. It's always pleasing when, at the end of the trip, most have had a great time of it...Making an workable itinerary and sticking to it is achievable when those with you (and I speaking a large group situation) stick to it. On one trip, a group made an unsheduled stop which threw things a bit for others and then dicided to stop for coffee at a different place than organised. Which in itself was not that bad, I normally phone a cafe' in the planning, to let them know how many are coming and about what time. On that occassion, I did not phone ahead so wasn't an issue...can be like herding cats at times... I like things to run smooth as possible... and that almost happens

Be sure to keep an eye out for our 3rd annual three day Northland trip to the Cape in November. We are going up Queens birthday to to check out a few things and sort out accomodation rate/dates.
    Great tenting area, you will be amazed. Nice grass area two steps from the beach and looking out over cable bay.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-(20-November)
    For bag security, this may be something worthwhile for you: http://pacsafe.com/products

Regular rest will help your mind focus more, as it's wandering because you can't focus for continuous long periods. I find it happens worse on easy straighter roads, but winding roads and the mind snaps back to the job. Enjoy the exploring... I haven't quite convinced myself yet that I should camp. Nice bed and shower are high on my list of priorities
    1st of many for you I hope..... I have friends dotted around the country so most of my long trips (car and bike) are to visit them and do stuff (hunting mostly) but I do tent as well.... also have a bivvy bag that I used last time as it was dark and I couldn't be bothered putting the tent up.... didn't sleep well that night

Yup I tend to strait line it when doing long trips but last couple done on the bike we set a few stop offs, pub for a light beer, somewhere for a feed (cafe with the view of the sea) interesting lookouts etc, spots to pose with the bike (cell phone pics, didn't take the camera)

There are a huge amount of DOC campsites dotted around the country so you can stop for the night in some pretty out of the way places, some have short stints on gravel but lots don't, The is a file online you can open in Google earth.. Mostly nothing there but a long drop, some not even that but I prefer keeping it basic (I hunt to so used to it and have the gear) An Exped mat is next on my purchase list and the ground mats I have aren't that great and they have a great reputation and being the best.
    what a bloody good effort I'm jealous!! I've started to learn how to pack less, still need to work on that, hah! but I'm getting better... agree you need to stop more, tis meant to be fun eh, not an endurance test lols. I usually stop every 80-150km.
    If you are by yourself ... it pays to have at least a two person tent. Or even better a three person tent. That is because the tent interior doesn't get so cramped (and more floor space).