View RSS Feed

Mechanical Mishaps

Well... the stuff I get up to could never be called servicing

1. Curse Twisted Throttle! (16/04/2011)

Having not had my BMW since early March, I'm getting withdrawal symptoms (most, if not all, the parts have arrived, now they just have to repair). To tide myself over this difficult period, I've taken to looking at what additional parts I should fit (coz I don't have nearly enough).

Sometime this afternoon, I downloaded the 2011 Twisted Throttle catalogue: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/static/211/1/5/ My memory is vague, but I appear to have lost several hours in the 236 ...
  2. Working on a BMW? (20/01/2011)

After being told not to effectively not try to take the tank off, it kind of translates into saying, don’t touch the bike, please take to your local Motorrad dealer to fix the problem for you.

However… I am thicker than most. This means, see what else you can touch, without involving the dealer. If the tank is out of bounds (and holding 33L of fuel, it’s a massive tank I really don’t think I should try removing) what else can you get at?

Before I had even collected ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00283.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	230278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00284.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	230279  
  3. Pulling Katie apart (07/01/2011)

As per my previous post, I needed to remove all the accessories from Katie and send to Mount Maunganui for them to fit. Naturally, since the bike was technically barely mine any more, I wasn’t going to do this without assistance (like hell I trust myself with mechanical stuff).

A batter of my eyelids while still at Mount Maunganui and I had two willing helpers. Well, GiJoe offered up his assistance, Toto declared he would watch the circus. I knew I would turn him around once we got ...
    Categories
    Mechanical Mishaps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00274.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	230268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00272.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	230267   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00271.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	230266  
  4. Finally succeeded in fixing something! (05/01/2011)

Yeup… you read that right. I had an electrical issue with my bike, and basically fixed it myself. This might not sound like a very dramatic thing to believe… so perhaps I should entertain readers with a bit of history.

Back in 2007 I owned a 2004 ZX10R, and decided I wanted to mount a radar detector. Having seen others say it was easy, wire it to the battery and then flatten the bike, I knew I was going to be smarter than that. Running the power cable back towards the battery, I realise ...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12