Blog Comments

Awesome read Alan, you covered damn near everything. I don't think I saw this blog back in 2011. Someone had posted a memory on FB of this ride yesterday, yip five years ago this weekend just gone. I was just having a look through the thread and happened upon this...thankfully. Some funny moments in there. Cheers Mark.
    I buzzed out and around Raglan via SH22 today for some fush n'chups from the local bakery/takeaway place. I thought of the off-roady stuff you did and it reminded way back when I did some of it!

Was good to get the preddy out for a spin ... been over two years since I rode out that way!
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ
    Well if your in Nelson and have nothing to do you could check out this place >> http://www.kaiteriterimtbpark.org.nz/ it seems popular judging by the number of bikes I see trundling through town strapped to racks. There's plenty of riding over Hira way too.
    Yeup, that's one possibility. On the Wednesday I leave, I either head to Kaiteriteri then Picton, or, on the way to Picton drop by Anakiwa and do a piece of the Sounds trail. This one holds more appeal as I'd also be putting the trail on the map, as the open maps don't have any of it yet...

Tuesday is motorbike adv riding roads around Mot Valley, Cobb and Takaka...
    Well if your in Nelson and have nothing to do you could check out this place >> http://www.kaiteriterimtbpark.org.nz/ it seems popular judging by the number of bikes I see trundling through town strapped to racks. There's plenty of riding over Hira way too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ
    You certainly covered a bit of ground in your 6-7 hrs wandering There's some top riding south of Kawhia too, as your probably aware
    Something south of Kawhia? It's one of the dangers of it being relatively local (<2 hrs riding time). You figure, hey, I've got time to get it sometime and then spend most of your time dreaming of the South Island.

Speaking of which, I'll explore that for 10 days in a week... Just booked ferry and accommodation today. 4 nights in Chch (partly work), 3 nights in Westport, 2 in Nelson and then one final one in Picton before jumping the ferry again...

I'll be doing this one a little differently, driving the van down with BMW and mountain bike on board, then doing a bit of each along the way. I might even try leaving the kitchen sink at home...
    You certainly covered a bit of ground in your 6-7 hrs wandering There's some top riding south of Kawhia too, as your probably aware
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy
    Next time your heading out/around that way, PM me or Dino, or MXnut.
    Theres a few areas off the gravel that are worth checking out.

ie, where that old house is, you can head across the paddocks, through a couple of low creek crossings and back out onto the road.
    Haha, nice. I'll keep it in mind, but no idea when I'll next be there. I assume you're tank friendly then

I do want to get a bit further south, Makomako Rd for example is a dead end, but open maps have it as sealed when I'm pretty certain it isn't. However, if the category is off, is the alignment out as well. By leaving it as sealed it's a reminder to check it, and then I correct everything at once.
    Next time your heading out/around that way, PM me or Dino, or MXnut.
    Theres a few areas off the gravel that are worth checking out.

ie, where that old house is, you can head across the paddocks, through a couple of low creek crossings and back out onto the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ
    I didn't realise what a grumpy, bossy prick you are!!
    I didn't film the last piece of safety patrol, where I'm all Mr Nice, how are you doing, don't worry, home stretch...

The lead motorbike I overtake middle-ish of the first vid (new to the role) started off all really nice, commented that niceties get you everywhere etc... yeah, us other two laughed (done it for a few years). Sure enough, didn't take long (near beginning of first vid) to start shouting at people...
    I didn't realise what a grumpy, bossy prick you are!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313
    You missed the important bit about what you got for lunch ...
    Two trips to the VIP tent during the event, quiche with sausage in them, bacon baps (seriously yum), french toast, slices of rock melon, winter melon, pineapple. Skipped past the fruit and muesli (that was 0400 breakfast).
    You missed the important bit about what you got for lunch ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashopper
    I'm looking forward to read your blog from your Alaska trip.
    Haha, well, ne'er a truer word said in jest.

I started doing some digging, pre-lim planning, and I now have to defer to at least 2017. They're building an extension to a Canadian Highway that ends in Inuvik. While there is a winter road to Tuktoyaktuk, it doesn't exist in summer, so they're building it to be a year round road. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuktoyaktuk_Winter_Road

No point missing out... so I'll delay the trip instead.
    Great read.

I'm looking forward to read your blog from your Alaska trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratast
    Keeping a spot open for you to next years Alaska adventure.
    Cheers Ken and jan
    Is that the 8 week tour Ken? Y'know... I think I might ponder over that...

If you've done the route in previous years, can you flick me some details? You should have an email address or two on file

Shit... It's such a good idea...
    Keeping a spot open for you to next years Alaska adventure.
    Cheers Ken and jan
    Even more fun when you do it all twice .............thank god for mid life crisis, may even make a third trip through as a getting old crisis, I am back where I started as a teenager on a metallic blue 250 ( first time a Suzuki T250 now on a CBF250), dont't need to look for a bigger bike, they are parked together
    Great read .
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313
    I can't believe how much he left out! I guess he is going back to his old ways and trying to cut down on the ASCII use ...
    And a quote from gilarrikin: I laugh at how much and how little you said

Yeah, he's a real strange one Besides, I just wrote some thoughts down one evening... I've mostly finished a long term review of the GSA and that's 4 pages I think

Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ
    You're just a bloody larrikin!! I would never have guessed.
    Whatever gave you that idea?!
    I can't believe how much he left out! I guess he is going back to his old ways and trying to cut down on the ASCII use ...
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast