View RSS Feed

Project Popup

I've acquired a 1985 GSX750SE3 Katana Popup for the princely sum of $1.

I'm going to try and do it up the old fashioned way - without opening up the wallet as much as I can.

Restoring this bike is going to be done through hard work in the gargre with as much work as possible done by me.

1. On the plus side...

Bull dropped off a battery for me yesterday.

Oh - thanks to James Deuce too. Turns out it was one that he'd given to Bull.

Thanks heaps guys!

Battery was charged up last night. And it turns over the bike this morning, so at least the starter works...
  2. Got some interesting trademe feedback about this bike today...

dolphin13 (106 ) 20 Jul 2009sgotlieb was the buyer(#225869448) Thanks for taking my bike for $1. My Mrs sold this behind my back! F'n Bitch!

LOL. Really? Funny thing is, there's a lovely response to my feeback on trademe. Sounds like the guy got home to find out his wife has finally cleared out his garage after 12 years of nagging.

Let this be a lesson
  3. Avon and Continental to the Rescue...

Looks like my favourite tyre manufacture has the tyres I need, given it seems to have a slabbie gixxer rear end on it.

The Avon Roadrider looks the go.

I must start reading up on these tyres. I wonder if anyone else is using them?

edit. Checked out the Continental Sport Classic which looks kinda nice too:

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...kv1112_en.html

Updated 19th July 2009 at 17:05 by riffer (found more tyres)

Categories
    General Bike Ravings , Project Bikes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roadrider.pdf  
  4. I've been thinking about the mirror problem.

This bike has no mirrors and they look to be damn hard (or extremely expensive) to replace.

So anyway Bull was around this arvo to look at the $1 wonder and he suggests I look into streetfightering the bike.

Now I'm not too keen on removing the front end cause I kinda like the Katana look, but there's another possibility.

The clip-ons are located with a bolt for each that are in the exact place that bar mounts can go on.

5. I don't think I have a Katana Rear Wheel on this bike.

It's got an 18 x 3.0 inch on the rear of this bike.

They're supposed to have a 17 incher. Must have a gixxer slabside rear wheel on it.

So I will need to find a 100/90-16 front and a 130/80-18 rear.

What bloody tyres are available in this combo?

Did I get ripped off with the bike? LOL. For a dollar, you can't expect perfection...
  6. What size are the bloody spark plugs on this bike?

My spark plug sockets won't fit.

Must be some weird size.

Oh well, I'll just leave them alone. There's plenty of other things to do at the moment.
  7. More discovery of interesting things.

The rust on the frame doesn't seem to be too bad - it's mainly surface rust.

I guess I could get the frame sandblasted but I'm starting to wonder if I couldn't get a small sandblasting kit from SuperCheap and attach it to my air compressor. I'll look into that.

Still wanting to get the motor sodablasted though. And I'll need to get a new left hand side cover - this one has been welded up and looks pretty poo.

A bit of a worry about the shock too. It's pretty ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	188498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	188499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	188500  
  8. Urgh. This bike has been sitting for a while.

Okay, continuing with pulling this bike apart to see what needs to be done.

I removed the airbox cover and there's a cylindrical foam air filter in there. Well at least it looked like one. Until I touched it. And it tured into sand. Pretty horrid. Check the pic. Imagine if I had have tried to start the bike with that in the airbox. It would have gone all through the engine. yuck.

Pulled the exhaust off the bike too. A whole pile of rust came out of the muffler. I'm hoping ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	188497  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast