View RSS Feed

General Bike Ravings

Biker culture, politics and general issues.

1. AMCC Round 5 @ Hampton Downs

The Cliffhanger Hill Climb is a great fun event. Unfortunately this year we lost a good man at it. Kevin "Wharfy" Waugh died of injuries sustained in a crash while competing. He was a gentle, decent, sincere man who was willing to stand up when he saw something wrong. He was passionate about injustices, political and environmental issues. Respected by friends and loved by family but for me Wharfy was an inspiration because he ...
  2. AMCC Round 4 @ Hampton Downs

This year's Paeroa had been a lot of fun even though it was cut short. However, I'd had to set the bike up so that it was stable as I don't have a steering damper and the last time this bike had been to Paeroa it had suffered from lots of head shakes.

To quicken the steering I lifted the forks up through the triple clamps by 8mm then measured the static and rider sag, adjusting preload as necessary. However, it ...
  3. Paeroa Battle of the Streets 2014

Paeroa's street races are a blast. It's such a fun event because of the great atmosphere, the weather is always good, the local businesses and residents get right behind it and we get to do stupid speeds down the main street without losing our licences. It's the only event that I want to do every year if possible and the only event where I don't care where I finish as long as I finish. My first time was in 2011 on the ...
  4. AMCC Round 1 @ Hampton Downs

A couple of weeks ago I took the CBR over to Gary Pendleton for a dyno tune. Each time I've put a bike on the dyno I've gotten a great result and this time was no different.

Once again we'd gotten lucky with the ignition curve as not only did we find a few more horsepower we also cleaned up the power curve so it was no longer rough and lumpy, it was now much smoother and the holes were filled in. Usually Japanese sports bikes ...
  5. Hamilton Motorcycle Club Winter Series Round 2

The weather reports for the Sunday were looking like it would be appalling weather to race in, but thankfully the weather a mind of it's own and doesn't listen to the weather reporters.

The usual pre-race routine went out the window because my wife and I went and stayed with her sister over near Miranda. It's closer to Hampton Downs than Hamilton is, but not by much. It was, however, a great chance to catch up with them ...
  6. AMCC Round 5 @ Hampton Downs

What a great way to end an excellent summer full of riding.

Thursday evening was the last of the Honda Twilight Ride Days. It's only 3 sessions but it's also really cheap.

Early on Thursday it was looking extremely dodgy with steady rain until about 10:00am, with light rain until about 1:00pm and then the sky cleared. By 4:30pm the roads were bone dry and perfectly clean. It was warming up so the track was ...
  7. BRM Pacific Club Summer Series Round 2 @ Taupo

Friday morning I was off to Taupo for the Honda day. It turned out to be cheaper to do that, drive back home afterwards then head back down again on Sunday for the BRM Pacific Club Round 2. If I had've done Saturday/Sunday instead I would've had my wife with me so we'd have needed to get a decent motel room and food to keep her sweet about having to be at the race track 2 days in a row. I keep telling her Street Stock is perfect for her ...
  8. AMCC Round 3 @ Hampton Downs

I thought I was sitting in the pits at Paeroa it was so hot at Hampton Downs. It was a real scorcher, especially sitting around in bike leathers.

Friday was really hectic. I had to change the oil and filter, get everything back on the bike as I'd pulled all the fairings and some other bits and pieces off while sorting out the quick shifter and shift lights and a couple of other bits, give it a wash and polish, change some of the stickers cos I'd put them on ...
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast