View RSS Feed

Personal entry

Boring stuff about your boring life.

1. Project B33

For over 30 years my father has had a BSA B33 sitting under a sheet in a partially restored condition. It hasn't run since at least 1987 (the date on the newspaper that was taped over the petrol tank) but was in the process of being restored before that so it wouldn't have run for a fair while before then. So, unfortunately, this bike has spent the vast majority of it's life in a partially disassembled state.

The history of this bike is that it was originally owned by my fathers ...
  2. The final burst ... again ...

Trini was sitting waiting for a part to turn up from the UK because the muppets had lost a spacer in the rear wheel but rode her anyway, stuffing the bearings and seals. So I shot in to see Kat at Hamilton Motorcycles and ordered that along with the front sprocket cover (muppets again). Two and a bit weeks later they turned up so I gave Brent a holler. I shot around and picked him up after we rounded up a few tools .

We shot around to where Trini lives and got into it. First ...
  3. The final burst ...

We knew that she's fires up and runs. Admittedly she was running pretty rough, but she was running. So it was time to start tidying up the fiddly bits and getting her ready to hit the track.

We headed around to Brents place after grabbing some things and turned up with beer and some yummy chocolate croissants from Bakers Delight. After knocking those off we headed out to the shed for the last burst before she goes to her permanent home.

It was a stinking hot, muggy ...
  4. Trini lives!!!!

Last time we worked on the bike it was a major downer. She fired up instantly but within a couple of runs a major death rattle appeared. We stood around, arms folded just staring at her for a good half an hour before we said "fuck it" and went and drank more beers.

Anyway, we found what we suspect the problem was - a severe case of clueless fuckwit muppets with tools. Someone had loosened off every single nut they could get a socket on with the sump off, which meant the conrod caps ...
  5. OMG, it fired up!!!! But .....

Last time we worked on the bike it was a major downer. She fired up instantly but within a couple of runs a major death rattle appeared. We stood around, arms folded just staring at her for a good half an hour before we said "fuck it" and went and drank more beers.

Anyway, we found what we suspect the problem was - a severe case of clueless fuckwit muppets with tools. Someone had loosened off every single nut they could get a socket on with the sump off, which meant the conrod caps ...
  6. So close ...

Sunday started off far too early. The wife went to church and I had to drive her. After that I couldn't sleep again so I got into some breakfast and sat down with to watch the Bruce Willis flick called Surrogates. Movie was ok, Rosamund Pike was better than ok. She really is a honey. A little quirky looking but that's part of her charm. Anyway, I was too busy setting up the cheap laptop I picked up to be too interested in the movie. It's a $100, you-didn't-get-it-from-me jobbie I didn't-get off ...
  7. Progress ...

So Thursday night I cruised around to Brent's place so that we could continue putting Trini back together.

I shot home from work, having bailed from the buildings Christmas bbq before I got snotted (it was hot and the beer was free and there's some cute chicks that work in this building). I just grabbed some long pants, socks etc because it'd get cold later on and I always end up being a smorgasboard for the local Mosquitos. Left there and shot around to pick up the oil that was waiting ...
  8. Reassembly is go!!!!

The parts arrived

I was expecting them to take 3 weeks but it only took 2 so I'm happy with that.

Took them around to Brent's place along with some gasket paper and I spent an evening cutting out gaskets and occasionally holding things while Brent started reassembling the engine. We only did a couple of hours work but we got the piston reattached to the crank and the clutch reassembled and put back in (very easy to fark that up).

I'm so glad that ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast