View RSS Feed

Project Bikes

Building your own

1. AMCC Round 5 @ Hampton Downs

What a great way to end an excellent summer full of riding.

Thursday evening was the last of the Honda Twilight Ride Days. It's only 3 sessions but it's also really cheap.

Early on Thursday it was looking extremely dodgy with steady rain until about 10:00am, with light rain until about 1:00pm and then the sky cleared. By 4:30pm the roads were bone dry and perfectly clean. It was warming up so the track was ...
  2. AMCC Round 2 @ Hampton Downs

A weekend riding bikes is a good weekend, especially when the bike looks so good!!

Friday I got an early start as I had lots to do on the bike. I ended up spending the entire day tidying up and finishing off a whole bunch of things on the bike. Little things like a seat pad (painted fibreglass is really slippery), bolting the brake disk onto the spare rear wheel, final cut and polish so the new paintwork doesn't get damaged, go to the supermarket and get supplies for ...
  3. Paint and Stickers are (mostly) done

The major stickers are on. Now they're in place I can have a look to see where I want to put some others. But that's next week. This weekend I get to ride it

Click images

4. Almost there ...

Not long until it's done and I can ride it. I'm really looking forward to the end of this month.

I got a message saying my bike was back together and running!! After some hurried organisation I was all set to travel down to Wellington, put the bike on the dyno then take it up to New Plymouth to sort the suspension out.

Originally my wife was going to go with me and make a trip of it so I'd organised to stay with Pete McDonald. That way she could ...
  5. We're rolling now ...

Things are gathering momentum now and I'm getting more and more excited about this bike.

After getting the bike back to the shed I'd hardly touched it. Lots of rain and plenty of cold weather had put me off getting out there, besides which I'd gotten really busy with a couple of other projects that I managed to get involved in.

However, I had been thinking, planning and buying some bits that were going to be needed. Amongst other things I've got some ...
  6. It's here!!! My next project!!!

Well, I've got it in the shed now so it's 100% mine and I can tell everyone about it

Some people may recognize this bike as it was always at the track a few years back. It's owner is also well known cos he's a good bugger, but unfortunately, is better known for an accident at Pukekohe that left him in a wheel chair.

I've bought Paul Garrett's #94, a 2005 CBR600RR. It's got a full Arata Titanium exhaust system, PC3, Ohlins all around and a bunch of other ...
  7. So I guessed incorrectly ...

Now that I've finally taken the exhaust and radiator off it's very obvious that the huge gash in the front of the block wasn't the cam chain, it was a conrod.

Should've known but the noise I heard after the bang tinkle tinkle tinkle sounded distinctly like a chain being dragged across something.

Here's what I extracted from the inside of the engine

Have a guess what this is ....

(click on images to view larger ones)

8. So I guessed correctly ...

I finally stopped sulking about it all (cheered by news that I have a replacement in the pipeline) and went and had a look at my Triumph to see what happened on the main straight of Paeroa.

The first thing to do was take the fairings off so I could get to everything and locate where the problem was. Even before I'd taken a bolt out of the fairings I could see the belly pan was full of sludge (oil and coolant mixed together). This didn't surprise me because even though it didn't ...
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast