Blog Comments

Well done, You certainly didn't leave much room for yourself on the bike, Tenting is not quite at night but I love the sound of trees etc at night, but then it wasn't great weather forecasts for you so it would be a tad different, When out hunting we leave our gear all day and I never worry.... But you can never be sure

Did you back the springs back to what you had after I set it up one notch for the weight?

SH2 to Gisborn, then Mahia (A must divert in my books) Wairoa, Napier then Taupo has some Fantastic sights too and not quite so windy... Next bike?

My Daughter was impressed with the load you had on the bike and is keen to start her touring..... but it will be with me in Tow for a while before she tries a run like that on her own
    Try organising all that........for 20 + bikes!
    In actual fact, it's all very similar logistically speaking. Times/distances travelled/food stops and accom to suit everyone/fuel stops.
    Can be a complete joy but at the same time....hair pullingly frustrating all rolled into one.
    An experience none the less.
    When the big bike comes along for you make sure it has either or can have attached to it a pack rack, saddle bags or panniers join Top10 holiday parks ( I did Nth & Sth isld tour recently & stayed with them through out @ avg rate $50-60 ) so you have some home comforts for a better Once I got the touring bug I have never looked back, recent Nth/Sth tour saw me cover 7500km over 2 weeks, every day spent in a differant place was awesome well done to you both for giving it a go no doubt you will find a bigger bike easier to ride over longer distances
    Route was my fault, so 'mea maxima culpa', blame me for that. I knew the roads were going to be twisty even though I hadn't ridden them before, didn't take the newbie factor enough into account.

I was pretty sure that we were going to call the whole thing off Friday morning after the Thursday nightmare, but you just kept going...so be proud of yourself for that at least.

Dunno, you might get a pleasant surprise when you next jump on the ginny - after the 'experience' gained, it may be more of a pleasure than you think.
    Im not sure you know, ive been doing big trips every 2nd weekend and im starting to get tired because im doing heaps of riding when maybe i should be resting and recouperating? also i want another bike im getting bored! also J you should do a trackday i did my first at 6 weeks!
    I'm a bit jealous that you did that trip. Although not so much about the troubly bits

It is pretty awesome though.

So what's your next bigger trip going to be?
    Cool man, yeha, go you, you rock! Where are the photos of you. I'm not a camper, never will be, yeah bought myself a little roll pack thing for the bike! I would be staying at motels or hotels, I'm a wimp!!! So these track days, I could see myself doing that sort of thing!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reibz
    Put some heavy metal over this video and re-uploadit. Not bad for a GN although I swear I could sprint around a track faster than this.
    Haha, I was thinking of "Rick Ross - The Boss" (google if you don't know that song ). And pfft you could not sprint around the track faster and you know it, haha!
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST?
    poor lil ginny you di d alright!,,tracks seem SO WIDE at first eh!?
    I guess so, I don't know, this is my fourth time at Taupo I think.
    Get a silk sleeping bag liner, tiny in size as does add a little warmth, Also good the keep the sleeping bag clean. Thermals don't take up much room and some merino thermals can keep you pretty warm where as too much thick cloths makes you sweat and then makes you cold... You wont get much sleep if its too cold and riding tired isn't the best.

Plenty of DOC campsites accessible with the GN around the country side.... There is a file online somewhere you can open in google earth, I have it somewhere and will email it if I find it, basic sites are free, small charge for others

Let the adventures continue
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane12
    Just don't take up lane splitting with that tent on the back!
    Spoil sport!
    Just don't take up lane splitting with that tent on the back!
    Oh no, you had to say that

Quote Originally Posted by Grashopper
    I didn't know you could load so much stuff onto a GN. Will be interesting to see how it handles fully loaded. Can't say much about the quality of the gear, but it looks like you have everything together. Although FJ is right. That sleeping bag might not warm enough, but if you have a backyard just try it out.
    Don't worry. Not intending on going to bed naked...
    I didn't know you could load so much stuff onto a GN. Will be interesting to see how it handles fully loaded. Can't say much about the quality of the gear, but it looks like you have everything together. Although FJ is right. That sleeping bag might not warm enough, but if you have a backyard just try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady
    hey they look good eh
    They'd do the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd
    They are metal, just not very strong I guess.

There's these, but they're pretty big - more weight to carry.

http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/camping/a...er-orange.html
    hey they look good eh
    wonder if can get metal ones?
    They are metal, just not very strong I guess.

There's these, but they're pretty big - more weight to carry.

http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/camping/a...er-orange.html
    Updated 7th April 2013 at 20:06 by nerrrd (Doh! forgot link)
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd
    Pushed them in by hand as far as I could, then tried a combination of standing on them with boot or hitting them with the small hammer I did take - both of these resulted in most of the pegs just bending over rather than going in any further. Tried a few different spots but no better.

The ground was pretty stony and possibly a bit harder than usual because of the drought? Hopefully not what you usually get in campgrounds.
    wonder if can get metal ones?
    how did you put the pegs in?
    Pushed them in by hand as far as I could, then tried a combination of standing on them with boot or hitting them with the small hammer I did take - both of these resulted in most of the pegs just bending over rather than going in any further. Tried a few different spots but no better.

The ground was pretty stony and possibly a bit harder than usual because of the drought? Hopefully not what you usually get in campgrounds.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast