View RSS Feed

Personal entry

Boring stuff about your boring life.

1. Offerings to the Gods of Stationary

Turns out I only break my bike when it's stopped.

1) Hit from behind by a car when I stopped at a stop sign (bike written off... entire rear end and left hand side were squished... not to mention my fractured ribs, bruising and concussion)

2) Bolt sheared off from starter clutch and got flung around inside engine. Ended up replacing the whole engine.

3) Even the tyre developed a slow leak and deflated while the bike was parked at work.

2. How to embarrass yourself in front of a truck driver

I was filtering between two lanes of stationary traffic today, at a red light. There was a light truck in the right lane, positioned all the way to the left of his lane. As I got closer I realised there was no way I was going to be able to get my mirror past his mirror, so I was going to be stuck between lanes when the lights changed.

But as I came up beside the truck, the driver saw the problem. Next thing I know his mirror was making a whirring sound and folding forward out ...
  3. Thanks Mr White Van Man (29 Jan 09)

Yesterday I left work early to go to a job interview. When I went out to my bike the back tyre was flat. I rode carefully to the nearest petrol station (in Wairau Road, Glenfield) but as soon as I put air in I could hear it hissing out again! I went inside the station to use the phone book so I could call and explain to the interviewer why I couldn't get there (interview was downtown.) By now I was feeling a bit hot & flustered and not sure what to do next.

There were ...
  4. Gear list

I'm working in a new office with a door that doesn't lock. Makes me nervous about leaving my gear here when I go out for lunch-meetings-whatever.

Here's a description of the gear I usually wear to work in case the worst happens and it goes walkabout...

Helmet: HJC CS-12, black with tinted visor
    Gloves: Spool size 8, black leather
    Trousers: Dririder Nordic 4, black
    Jacket: Spidi On Track, navy blue with silver/black winter liner
    Boots: ...
  5. Belated update

I'm not very good at this blogging thing. All kinds of momentous stuff has happened since my last entry and I haven't bothered to blog it. Things like:

• Got hit by a car in May, I had concussion and a fractured rib. Volty was written off by the insurance company! I bought her back, fixed her up and she's back on the road again with few clues to her adventure.

• In July I did my 6R test and passed - no more L plate! Since then I've been allowed to do more than 70kph
  6. Learner license is 4 months old

Happy birthday to my learner license. It is 4 months old. Can't wait for it to reach 6 months old so I can GET RID OF IT!

The L plate is all cracked and it vibrates and makes a terrible noise. Sounds like the bike's falling apart at certain revs.
    Categories
    Personal entry
  7. I love this time of year

It's finally getting cool enough to wear my protective gear without melting. I wish it could stay March all year round.
    Categories
    Personal entry
  8. Roadworks on Gt Nth Rd

Some of those roadworks people need to be re-trained. Leaving their great big signs in the bus/bike lane so buses have to swerve out of the lane to get around them. Ok for me on the bike unless I get caught behind a bus.

The Pasifika people have left the big water-filled barriers just sitting in the bus lane, narrowing it by a long way. Wonder how long before they bother collecting them again?

grumble grumble
    Categories
    Personal entry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast