View RSS Feed

AllanB

  1. 3 months later .....

    Its been a while since I posted any progress (3 months) mainly due to there being very little! I appear to have been always busy and away from the garage lately. Some shed time last weekend moved things along more.

    Ive had a set of brackets welded into the inner or the cone allowing me to drill and tap them so the end caps may be bolted in from the rear. I then bent and welded a bit of 5mm steel rod to the end cap forming a neat seal with the front cone, plus this will act ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pipe 1a.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	551.2 KB 
ID:	188601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pipe core.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	458.3 KB 
ID:	188602   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pipe cap.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	361.3 KB 
ID:	188603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pipe end.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	406.8 KB 
ID:	188604  
  2. Slowly getting there. 11.7.09

    Slowly getting there.
    The mounting bracket has been completed for the right side Ive made it so I can use the factory rubber grommets to absorb any vibration and allow a bit of movement.

    Brackets take a bit of pissing around with 2 hours went into this one and there is a dud one in the bottom of the rubbish tin!

    The left muffler has the joiner and mid pipes fabricated and tack welded together visibly held held on in the pictures with a bungee strap! The ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muff mount.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	335.6 KB 
ID:	188489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muffler side.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	589.9 KB 
ID:	188490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	380.7 KB 
ID:	188491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tools.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	464.9 KB 
ID:	188492  
  3. 28.6.09 hurt my ears.....

    Well the right pipe is well on it's way. I've made a mounting bracket and it's welded on, the joiner pipe is complete and welded. All that's left is the alloy end cap, and I am going to fab up a nice little alloy cover to hide the exhaust clamp and it will zizz it up a bit visually (a nice contrast with the black)

    Anyway - fitted it was too tempting not to fire it up, even if I only had one new pipe and one stocker on . Sounded good

    Then I popped ...
  4. Sneak Preview

    Some progress today. A bit of work on the right side midpipe allowing a mock-up to wet my appetite.
    Held together here with a bungie cord and duct tape - pretty sure that's what the pros do when building them
    Note the seat is just sitting on top and not slotted into position thus sitting a bit high.

    After seeing this in position I've another idea for the alloy end caps......

    Next step complete the mid pipe, tack it together and fab a mounting ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side_edited.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	549.6 KB 
ID:	188459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe front side_edited.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	557.5 KB 
ID:	188460  
  5. Progress - well a little!

    12.6.09

    Not much progress - not much free time in the shed lately. I've basically finished the db reducing inserts - picture shows one and a shot of it inserted into the 51mm outlet. The card on the end is another end cap experiment.

    The reducer pipe is 35 mm and extends into the inner perforated core. If it is too quiet I just need to lop a few cms off the end of the reducer or depending on volume remove them.

    They will be held in place by ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	db killer.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	407.1 KB 
ID:	188457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inserted.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	299.6 KB 
ID:	188458  
  6. Muffler update

    Well a day off to extend the Queens Birthday weekend has seen some progress on the pipes. Not much as I went for a ride - a cold one it was only 8 degrees!

    The cones have their end cap inserts sorted and the outlet pipe has been welded in. These caps will be either riveted or bolted to the main cone. However it's just occurred to me I could arrange 3 internal bolts that would be hidden by the end cap.......hmmm (sounds fiddly!)

    You can see in the picture where the ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	All bits.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	188448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	core join.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	285.8 KB 
ID:	188449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	end cap.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	188450  
  7. 7.5.09

    7.5.09
    I've arranged the making of the removable end plates today. Priest Sheetmetals will make these as well - I could muck around with a hole cutter, jigsaw and tack weld it, but they have all the gear and will do it 10 x faster than I could in my shed.
    These plates will fit into the rear of the cones recessed 15mm so they can be bolted or riveted in place. Each end-plate will have an outlet and internal collar that will slot over the muffler core holding it in position but allowing ...
  8. Horny Pipes

    Well I've had the Hornet a year and a half and I've made a few alterations. Next on my list is mufflers. I've already 'opened' the stock mufflers to enjoy a few more decibels but my primary interest now is a different look.

    It's all on a tight budget supported by a small tax return (in theory - they have not paid yet!), thus purchasing aftermarket muffs is out. And I am after something a bit different.

    So phase one has been to have a pair of steel cones rolled. Dimensions ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipes 2.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	737.9 KB 
ID:	188446