View RSS Feed

Survival Skills

What is needed to stay alive on two wheels

1. Riding Task Master - Around the Coro at Midnight Madness!

Well at 3.30am I got into bed after a lovely ride.

This sort of thing is par for the course for me, but it was with TOTO and Gremlin that I happened to do it with last night/morning!

TOTO texts me all excited about whether we were going to ride tonight. Since I knew Gremlin needed more training for his mad combo of a GC and TT soon, I figured this was just synchronicity at work.

So around 7.45pm TOTO rocks up from working his shift at 'Treads. Gremlin ...
  2. Dodging dogged dogs at Ashhurst unsuccessfully

And now my intrepid audience (all two of you, and the cat reading over your shoulder), I shall delve into the horror that is known as Ashhurst …

It was a dark and stormy night … er wait, it was a sullen night, with a churlish moon hanging low in the dark sky, it was near the time of 5am when I turned into the town of Ashhurst .. and I was trying to find the road that was a nice bit of twisty (Colyton Rd I do believe). Well I made a turn and ended up in a very rough muddy and ...
  3. Predator purrs her name to me

Still with me? I admire your persistence and veracity for applying yourself to my litany of lambast to the life of the ride I like to live! So, on we shall go!

From Waiouru to Taihape, there was serendipitous moment, as the snow receded, the state of the road conditions improving, a small unbidden thought came to my mind.

“Cindi”.

Que vera que?

“Cindi”.

A small voice at the back of my mind spoke to me, it was my ...
  4. Washing off in Waiouru, with cheering crowd

Now, I have just finished a slap up feed of lamb, roast veges and the ubiquitous lashings of mint sauce. My dearest mater is a most wondrous cook and since it is Pater’s day, she whipped up some nosh that hit the cockles of the heart just right. Pater is now mopping up the leftovers and I durst say his belt has had to be loosened a few notches somewhat. But, back to my sally into the snow drenched deposits in the dark parts of the night in Middle Earth! (oh alright, Waiouru!)
  5. Oh, the hallow halls of Ohakune opens it's arms to me

Now where was I? I was distracted by some enticing etchings that purport to be of some magnificent ladies in various states of repose and undress, all done in the best possible taste! Ah, but such delights for another time, I shall return to my dissertations of my diurnal wanderings ...

The light snow drifts turned into rock hard hail, the fact I could feel the impacts through my layers of gear was not noticed due to a Van Halens and Deth Metal concert with a drum and bass solo reverberating ...
  6. Sat 9th : Piggy in the middle

A most welcoming and heartfelt felicitation to you dear reader, this time a most quick missive that may repeat some details from previously, but rest assured, there is a small momentary twist in the tale.

I found myself in the afternoon with a small surfeit of time to myself after I had cleared my schedule of interruptions. Off to Maraetai once again to plunder the schools of small baitfish for more fishing tomorrow. All went well and in a short two hours or so I had taken 30 or so ...
  7. Wed 16th : A vexing day, most vexing indeed!

This morning, I was confronted by the spectre of having a broken day of riding, oh the agony of it all! Family responsibilities and other such hum drum necessities of life does intrude on one's riding desires!

Suffice to say my good reader that I am contracted to work for a goodly number of hours in the family business, to wit : being a short order cook, serving up a palatable array of consumables to customers for remittances. This will entail me curtailing my desire to "ride as far ...