View RSS Feed

Touring NZ

1. Riding with an experienced newbie to Whangas

Well Gale_Wolf is an old mate of from uni days, he's gotten on with life and raised a fine family and doing the hard yards.

Of course, this meant his usual hi-jinks with motorbikes has been curtailed and he has in his words become "mister communterer". We've recently renewed our friendship and actually ridden with each other on short trips on the Hornet Swarm rides.

Now, he gets ambitious and wants to head up to Whangarei to pick up a muffler baffle from the previous ...
  2. Cindi carries on up to the Cape! Ooer!

Well as part of my plan to do my usual business of riding whenever, where-ever and however - I took Cindi my CB1000R Predator up to Cape Reinga today. The last time Cindi and I were closest to the Cape was when we accompanied Gremlin to Dargaville. This first mission was a failure due to the usual tardiness of Gremlin.

Today, we remedied that! I was up at 6am .... brekkie and prep saw me bolt out the door at 7.15am and we were away riding! Did the back roads to SH16 and the boring ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fush n chups.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	245.1 KB 
ID:	220019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike fush n chup.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	220016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dancing fruit.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	220015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tane mahuta.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	352.1 KB 
ID:	220017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Omapere.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	220018   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaikohe.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	220014  
  3. Knocking at Quasi's for my KNOX

Rode down to Quasi to pick up my KNOX chest armour in the 'Tron tonight. Got a text around 5ish and any excuse for a ride ... I got my kit on and rode down the moronway to Taupiri and off towards Gordontown to Quasi's.

Always a hospitable host, he showed me the new back protector gears before I headed back up home, naturally took the back roads home and stopped in at Mercer to don some wet weather gear. Was fine on way down, but nature's ways decided to damp down the return journey. ...
  4. Riding Task Master - Around the Coro at Midnight Madness!

Well at 3.30am I got into bed after a lovely ride.

This sort of thing is par for the course for me, but it was with TOTO and Gremlin that I happened to do it with last night/morning!

TOTO texts me all excited about whether we were going to ride tonight. Since I knew Gremlin needed more training for his mad combo of a GC and TT soon, I figured this was just synchronicity at work.

So around 7.45pm TOTO rocks up from working his shift at 'Treads. Gremlin ...
  5. I give my due to the biking gods

So now that you have read all the good bits, I expect that I am not extrapolating the last of my ride to an empty room … oh look, a tumbleweed just went by … and the chirp of a grasshopper … verily well, I shall still potter on about the last bit of the trip in my own interminable fashion then!

Out to Waiouru again, all was good, the carpet of snow showed just how much fell quickly – I was now caught in a logjam of vehicles that were trying to push through the adverse driving ...
  6. Dodging dogged dogs at Ashhurst unsuccessfully

And now my intrepid audience (all two of you, and the cat reading over your shoulder), I shall delve into the horror that is known as Ashhurst …

It was a dark and stormy night … er wait, it was a sullen night, with a churlish moon hanging low in the dark sky, it was near the time of 5am when I turned into the town of Ashhurst .. and I was trying to find the road that was a nice bit of twisty (Colyton Rd I do believe). Well I made a turn and ended up in a very rough muddy and ...
  7. Winding down at Wellywood with a burger

Before we continue on with my errant stream of consciousness, some facts about my dear Cindi, or CB1000R Predator – they say that it was conceived on the drawing table at Honda, when there was a lapdancing good time girl jiggling her bits at the chief engineer or another apocryphal story goes that a CBR1000RR got it on with a 900F Hornet. But, we all just know it as the CB1000R Predator.

Now DONOR did post in his “Scrubbing in New Tyres” thread that I would be down at BK on ...
  8. Predator purrs her name to me

Still with me? I admire your persistence and veracity for applying yourself to my litany of lambast to the life of the ride I like to live! So, on we shall go!

From Waiouru to Taihape, there was serendipitous moment, as the snow receded, the state of the road conditions improving, a small unbidden thought came to my mind.

“Cindi”.

Que vera que?

“Cindi”.

A small voice at the back of my mind spoke to me, it was my ...
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast