View RSS Feed

KoroJ's Blog

1. 4 of a Kind (Part 2)

(Continued from Pt 1)............With that done, the usual rituals completed, we were back on our way and I opted to bring up the rear. From my perspective, in these conditions, this is actually the worst place to be because you cop all the crap thrown up from the other bikes. Also, when following another bike at night, my preferred option is to sit close behind within the range of my low beam and ride off the lights of the bike in front, however in these conditions one has to sit back because if ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-10 112.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	361.6 KB 
ID:	188575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-10 113.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	338.2 KB 
ID:	188576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-10 114.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	543.8 KB 
ID:	188577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-10 116.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	499.1 KB 
ID:	188578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-10 118.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	188579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-10 120.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	413.6 KB 
ID:	188580  
  2. 4 of a Kind (Part 1)

It was a long slow wait for this year’s Grand Challenge (my 4th), until the last month which seemed to fly by and all of a sudden we were away again.

Last week I had the bike booked for a service, pre-empting the 78,000Km check at 76,500Kms, as well as replacing the Metzler Z6 with a new Avon Storm on the front, a new air cleaner, new left main bulb, front right fork seal and the usual pre-GC super WoF check to ensure no problems when Brian Rusty and his crew did their scrutineering. ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-10 095.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	442.9 KB 
ID:	188569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-10 099.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	304.1 KB 
ID:	188570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-10 103.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	495.4 KB 
ID:	188571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-10 105.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	452.2 KB 
ID:	188572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-10 106.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	423.6 KB 
ID:	188573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-10 107.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	282.6 KB 
ID:	188574  
  3. 474Kms for a 1 Tank Ride

A night ride was scheduled for Friday this week but after unseasonal snow on the Rimutakas and Tararuas earlier in the week, the weather was still crap so we called it off. Sunday was looking good and I considered a ride up to Tokaanu for a soak in a hot pool, but in the end and after sleeping in, I decided on a reasonable local ride.

The bike was set to go so I just had to get ready and leave to top-up at Caltex Kaiwharawhara, even though I didn’t have a fixed rideplan yet, apart ...
    Categories
    Personal entry
  4. My Butt Hurts!

I’m not sure what came first, the ride-plan or the excuses for the ride, but Steve & I arranged a ride for today that would fulfill several requirements. We needed a pre-GC ride that would include a bit of night riding, we needed to check a couple of sections of the Capital Cruise to be run in November and we wanted to revisit the outstanding road that runs around the Kawhia Harbour from Piopio to Te Kawa. This road was a section of last years Grand Challenge and I remembered having a blast on it ...
    Categories
    Personal entry
  5. Pre GC Rides…I need some!

It was my intention to go for a decent (1000 – 1100km) pre-GC ride today, starting between midnight and 0100 to get a bit of night riding in, then explore a few roads up in the Waikato, but as it transpired, events and the weather worked against me so I just ended up going for a local ride.

It was a great day when I got up shortly after 0800 with bright sunshine inspiring me to remove the liner from my jacket and after a light snack I departed to stop by the office at 0930. From there ...
    Categories
    Personal entry
  6. Is It Spring Yet??

The usual winter blues have been prevalent this year but compounded by an effort to cut back on spending and the easiest way to save money is to cut down on the Kms. This hasn’t been too hard because the weather has been so crappy and I’ve been so busy at work, it’s been pretty easy to not ride, other than the Ulysses Club Rides.

I have found however that one can get a bit stir-crazy and in desperate need of a blowout and that happened last weekend. There were no programmed rides ...
    Categories
    Personal entry
  7. Ngawi - Lake Ferry

Today was programmed for a short ride to Lake Ferry, but we figured to go via Ngawi first.

Having checked the tyre pressures yesterday I just needed to fill at Caltex Kaiwhara then head to the meeting point at Brown Owl. The weather was great in Ngaio but once I got on the Hutt Road it looked a bit dismal over the Rimutakas.

By 1000 there were ten riders assembled for the briefing and I led out on the free ride over the hill. The conditions were OK, with just the odd ...
    Categories
    Personal entry
  8. SH2 Claytons Ride

The ride you have up SH2, when you're not really riding on SH2!

After spending a week on the Gold Coast, we had to come back to the cold and one of the many predictions for today’s weather was snow, however, in the end it dawned overcast but dry and by the time I left home at 0900, it was 9°. I had checked and pumped the tyres yesterday, along with cleaning the bike so I just had to gas up on the way to do the route that Steve and I had checked out a bit over a month ago.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast