Blog Comments

Blimey, 80 and still doing 1600km

Nice write up... That fuel station used to be Mobil, I think on my 08 GC? Ah well, that can be updated...
    Huge achievement

Still hope for the next 25 years for me then
    Awesome write up John legend indeed
    Sounds like you and technology get along so well
    We are spoilt for choices here, glad you enjoyed your time in the MIGHTLY WAIKATO John
    Was a great day though a bit cold first thing loved the view and flow of the roads until Long Place name to Danniverke but I think was due to it being 800k into the ride and an unknown quantity.
    The big M109R didn't miss a beat and put up with my lack of flow in the twisties totally enjoyed the day and the 2 Wairarapa riders whom caught me up at Porangahau was great to ride with you.
    Preferred this route to last years it was overall much easier to ride at a consistent pace excepting the twisty bits Wimbledon to Danniverke.

Cheers and see ya on the road.
    Gary
    Nice one John
    Shame about the timing with the wedding but that's the way things happen.
    First time I did the C1KC my GPS crapped out so I ended up fumbling through a very small map I had . I now carry a much better map as a back up just in case.
    I like the way you even had your yellow tape on lets hope we get the same weather next Saturday.

Enjoy your trip to Sydney
    Always a great read John. Thanks again for organizing a terrific event.
    Until next year,
    Dreds.
    Great write up. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird
    ......Hey.... in photo 2 is that Mike Angell in the yellow shirt? Haven't seen him since the 2010 ride and there appears to be rather more grey than I remember

Cheers,

Geoff
    Yes one of your pics found its way into the Rider's Guide which can be found here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/201...land-1600.html Thanks very much.

and yes that is Mangell, he XP@, Hitcher and I are the organisers.
    Now I know why you wanted me to photograph the Te Rerenga sign back in winter John! Nice write up. The Peninsula is pretty clear of vehicles on weekdays - just avoid December-February!

Hey.... in photo 2 is that Mike Angell in the yellow shirt? Haven't seen him since the 2010 ride and there appears to be rather more grey than I remember

Cheers,

Geoff
    I'd just like to say that it was the admin work that delayed the briefing... at 1200 we still had several that weren't technically in the starting blocks.

48 entries, 46 starters and 42 finishers... just to correct your numbers...
    Man... kudos to you all, that is an impressive effort. good riding skills and stamina. well done
    You make that all sound far to easy John.

Did my second long condition ride today . Was going to get up around 1 am but overslept till 3.30.
    Out of house just before 4 am. Headed from Kapiti to New Plymouth then thought I would head towards Taupo.
    This is where I learnt a valuable lesson when my sat nav took me up some goat track that eventually turned into a gravel road. wasted about 40 mins .
    Back on the road mt messenger and the Awakino Gorge I had never been on before that was a mint road.
    Made my way to Taupo off to Napier then home basically just under 1100kms and totally knackered god know what 1600kms is going to feel like !!
    Know exactly how you felt... good write up of a frustrating day. tks
    Took the bike in for the tyre repair today after waiting to have a new Z8 on standby, just in case.

I was very lucky to get home as the hole turned out to be a 8mm slit! ....so my dog turds are most excellent.

I now have a new Z8 and the rear and another mortgage on the house. I might have to try a T30 next time.
    does BMW make airless tyres?

nice writeup KoroJ.

i have had 2 flats so far in tubed tyres, now i am on tubeless i hope that at 2 in the morning i aint fixing one.
    you made me get my tyre fix kit out and check out how it works, havent had to use it so far.
    maybe compressor needs a drop of oil. make sure electrical connections tight otherwise the smoke escapes and you stuffed
    I've put 20 odd psi into a tyre before (and compressor got too hot to hold)... looks like you need a nice solid BMW that can deliver the goods
    I use the pump regularly to ensure it's good to go when I need it. A bit of a check yesterday revealed it was still going despite the damage to the plug. Turns out the failure was due to letting it run for a minute or so (usually only putting 1-2psi in so 30 secs tops). I think the highish current draw melted the plastic in the fuse holder causing it to seep between the fuse and the contact!!! Sheesh, I used a 10A fuse and holder and it should have been 15A.

I think I need to trade down.
    Well you did heaps of conditioning... of the bike! Wiring to be fixed, tyres to be replaced and so forth

Well I guess I'll get the trusty BMW out instead to get you some pics aye?
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast