Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by biggo
    A bit of scouting around for the 2017 NI1600 there John ?
    After a bit, one gets in the habit of always scanning for roads and conveniently located, easily identifiable checkpoints. Unfortunately, there are masses of sweet roads around the Waikato that would be great for the big rides but they would require too many CP's to force the lazier riders to take them. This is compounded by including the option to qualify for Ironbutt on the NZDR rides as their requirements are very stringent.
    A bit of scouting around for the 2017 NI1600 there John ?
    That run through to Putaruru looks fun, must remember do explore there at some point...

Sounds like you enjoyed the break then
    Good write up John, and yes I am feeling more moveable today. It was a real challenge and that 15hrs? Sure you didnt enter 'riding a Spyder' in the route instructions? That was just about my actual riding time. Riding average 72km's according to the trip computer.
    It was an awesome route honestly and thanks for keeping it as the 'super thou'. Next time I promise I will be kind to myself... and ride the bike.
    But I have this strange urge to add a Royal Enfield Conti GT to the stable.
    Great write up, Loved this years route and enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for all your hard work organizing another great 1KC
    Enjoyed the read~~~
    A good read John Another great ride for the Cuzzy's up Nth for this years 1KC Awesome loop even with the suspect at times weather out @ 6:05 In @ 18:15pm which was a whole 45mins early by my intended ETA of 19:00 well done all
    Great write up John. Thanks to Ann yourself and everyone for another very enjoyable day. I did the standard ride but have got Super Thou instructions and will do that over the Christmas break if I get a spare day to play. Mr Google says 16 hours for the route so you did make "good progress" !! Think I will be happy to knock it off in 13-14 hrs
    This ride was from when I pre-rode this years North Island 1600 ...but I couldn't post it because the route was a secret.
    Good read.
    I went there a few years ago with a bus load of Hoons and was recently thinking about going again at Xmas.

Had a great time myself racing and learning to slide (it was my first time on a kart, haven't been again).

Its great to have even karts so it's just drivers ability that makes a difference.

Even though I enjoyed it, I did wonder how they made any money.

pretty sure we didn't do 80 laps seemed more like 30 minutes.
    every time we fly to melbourne we still fly airnz
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ
    Diatribe sounds about right for my blatherings.

1KC's (Nth & Sth) will probably be on 05 November this year, which is the closest Saturday to the 8th (being the anniversary of Grub's passing). I think we have the routes but this ride isn't usually promoted until July or thereabouts and no work has been done yet as we are just getting the NI1600 and the NI800 (Half) sorted.
    A rough idea about the dates and what type of event is perfect/approx start area is so I could think about how I can get there/book accomodation etc.

I will have to decide which bike I am taking and get some fitness/riding ability sorted.
    I will keep an eye out, if I cant ride then I will look to see if I can help out somehow.
    Every time I do this (offer help-try and plan something) it all turns to custard

If I can plan it might try for both NI800 and 1KC Northern, we will see.
    NI1600 is just a bit too far at my current ability level (in 24 hrs)
    time passes so quickly
    Carry on with the good work.......
    Diatribe sounds about right for my blatherings.

1KC's (Nth & Sth) will probably be on 05 November this year, which is the closest Saturday to the 8th (being the anniversary of Grub's passing). I think we have the routes but this ride isn't usually promoted until July or thereabouts and no work has been done yet as we are just getting the NI1600 and the NI800 (Half) sorted.
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog
    Another well written diatribe (I hope that it means what I think it does)
    I enjoy each one.

NI 800 this year?

would this be around the time of the NI 1000 Northern event? I want to get some more training in this time. Not one ride 2 weeks before.

I will keep an eye out.....
    Hi,

The NI 800 is the same weekend and start/finish location as the NI 1600. Weekend of the 8th/9th October at Turangi Holiday Park ( http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/the...sland-800.html ) At the moment the web site only has the dates for last years 1000 which was early November.

PS I think the word you were looking for is Discourse i.e. to write knowledgeably about a subject. Diatribe would have lots of **** in it:-)
    Another well written diatribe (I hope that it means what I think it does)
    I enjoy each one.

NI 800 this year?

would this be around the time of the NI 1000 Northern event? I want to get some more training in this time. Not one ride 2 weeks before.

I will keep an eye out.....
    Quote Originally Posted by whatastoner
    All nutters are welcome at the NI 1600. So Jos, we will be expecting you in October.
    Ok I give in to temptation. Just done my registration. See you at the start:-)
    All nutters are welcome at the NI 1600. So Jos, we will be expecting you in October.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ
    No trikes or Spyders yet. A sidecar, a trike and a Spyder-like-two-front-wheeled Piaggio all completed Grand Challenges but I don't believe that event was ever entered on a Spyder.
    Even more reason for me to do the NI1600 on my Spyder this year, get in before someone else beats me to it:-)

Thanks,

Jos
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown
    ........Just out of curiosity do you know if you’ve ever had a Spyder do the NI1600 before? Couldn't see one in the pictures. More reason to go this year if I’m the first:-)
    No trikes or Spyders yet. A sidecar, a trike and a Spyder-like-two-front-wheeled Piaggio all completed Grand Challenges but I don't believe that event was ever entered on a Spyder.
    Funny I was thinking I hadn’t ridden that much in the last few months but on reading your blog realised I was in a similar situation of just doing longer rides with no short journeys. I’ve done enough to be on my second rear tyre this summer so obviously not been too bad.

Having done the TT2000 a couple of times now I was planning to give the NI1600 a go this year as well. However, I’ve just found out today that The Cure have got a gig on in Auckland in July and not sure if the purse strings will cover doing two North Island trips. So hopefully will see you there this year but if not then definitely the next.

Just out of curiosity do you know if you’ve ever had a Spyder do the NI1600 before? Couldn't see one in the pictures. More reason to go this year if I’m the first:-)
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast