View RSS Feed

vifferman

1. The Wonderful World of Drug-Addledness

After the slicing'n'dicing, I spent some hours in ICU in a drug-induced coma, with a machine doing the breathing for me. I don't remember this bit at all, but my wife and #2MutantSpawn came to visit me, and viewed the antics that ensued when I was fighting for domination over the respirator to see who would do the breathing bit. Once the tubes were out, I was apparently talking (probably complete and utter shite and interacting with the nurses. I do remember the period after this, when I was doped ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The Wonderful World of Pain

So anyway, after the "lawnmow the vifferman's bits derby", I was evidently wheeled into theatre,and the anaesthetist and perfusionist conspired between themselves to try and balance me just neatly on the very thin edge between being dead and alive, using temperature, weird chemicals, machines that go "Beep!" and more'n likely a few arcane and black arts.This achieved, they stopped my heart going "pah-Dump!...swish...pah-Dump!" Then the eminiently skilled and highly paid (when I send him his cheque) ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Sorry, Biatches - I'm still alive.

Well. What a saga that turned out to be.
    Was admitted to Mercy hospitule in Remuera on Thursday 17th. Had the weirdest experience of my life when two of the lovely nurses tag-teamed shaved me like a weasel. I almost laughed it was so weird, especially with two batter-powered lawnmowers vrooming up and down. Then nurse #3 decided the other two were on crack or summat, tut-tutted, and had another go. So I ended up with a bald head (genes), a brazillion, bald arms ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Not quite dead yet..

... so for those of you who wish I'd hurry up, you'll have to wait a weee bit longer. I'm being admitted tomorrow, and desecrated decimated sliced'n'diced on Friday. A day in ICU, then back into my hotel room, where I'll have lotsa time (a week?) to read bike mags.

If I had any...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. All Systems Go!

For anyone that is still the remotest bit interested in this drawn-out saga, I've had the final stuff done (x-rays and full blood workup). The surgeon's office contacted me today, and it looks like I'm into the workshop either next Friday or the following Thursday for the oil pump reconditioning.
    (Actually, I have to go in the night before, so they can charge me another $445 +GST for the hotel room for the night).
    Apparently the valves repairable, but they'll have a replacement ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. That's the TOE done. Next: the big slice'n'dice

Had the Transoesophageal Echo (TOE) this morning, at North Shore Hospital. I was frankly surprised at the difference between the two hospitals (the last procedure was at Mercy Ascot). While everyone was kind and seemed proficient, they were less organised. The nurse couldn't get the shunt in my hand, and had to have another go with a fresh needle in my arm. Meanwhile, I was having trouble not fainting (partly whimpishness, partly a factor of the fault mitral valve), Eventually, it was all go. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Into hospital tomorrow

I'm having an angiogram done tomorrow (yay! A day off work ) then next Friday, I've got a transoesophageal echo scheduled (yay!! Another day off work!).
    The problem occupying my mind today was what music to take with me... if I take a favourite CD, will I hate it afterwards?
    If I take something weird, like Modest Mouse, will it freak the people sticking things in/up me out, and make them stuff it up?
    Would "Master of Puppets" or "Death Magnetic" make everyone ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. An Update - Things are happening!

Whelp, things were ticking on waaaaay too slowly for me, as having to constantly think about impending ops, while feeling weird arrythmic bumps and whatnot was reminding me things aren't right. So... I got onto the cardiologist and asked how long before the next two procedures (cardiac angiogram and trans-oesophageal echo, or TOE) would take place (these have to be done before any surgery can be scheduled). Turns out the angiogram is 6 months off, so I tell them we'll go private rather than wait, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast