View RSS Feed

Ambling around

Another new bike

Rate this Entry
Now this is just getting silly. My mouse button finger slipped again and I bought another bike through an online auction. Only this time it was more costly and will probably cause me to sell most of the other bikes, if not all of them. At least now I can settle on one bike to take back to NZ. It's also nice to finally have a 'good' bike. Every other bike (or car for that matter) I have bought has been at least 14 years old, which makes them cheap to get but with pretty much zero resale value (at least in Japan). When my wife got the SV and she was pampering it I kinda wished I had something that I felt like pampering too... something modern, a post 2000 model at least, fuel injected, something people will actually look at for more than 1.5 seconds when I pull up at the bike shop etc.
Well here it is, a 2001 ST4. It will not arrive until next week so I can't say a lot more about it until then, but this time I did actually go and check it out before I bid on it. It's in reeaally good condition, at least from what I could tell without a test-ride. The clutch was noisier than I expected though, even for a Ducati - otherwise everything seems fine.
One thing that puzzles me is the headlight/screen arrangement. I searched all over teh google looking at ST4 photos, but I couldn't find any, of any year, where the screen comes down in a peak in the middle and covers the headlight like that... does anyone know if this is an aftermarket screen? Also, notice how the headlight and the small grille underneath it are not separated by the cowl. In every photo I saw online, the headlight was fully surrounded by the cowl, instead of the cowl breaking off in the middle. What's up with that? Is this really a 2001 model or did I get done for a '99 or something?

Submit "Another new bike" to Digg Submit "Another new bike" to del.icio.us Submit "Another new bike" to StumbleUpon Submit "Another new bike" to Google Submit "Another new bike" to reddit Submit "Another new bike" to Facebook

Comments

Ahhh, so this you then: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=28926

Very small world.

Good choice of bike too!
    Ahhh, so this you then: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=28926

Very small world.

Good choice of bike too!
    Yes. There's nowhere to hide on the net is there...?