View RSS Feed

Ambling around

Price shock

Rate this Entry

I was browsing around Ricoland again recently and felt compelled to take a pic of the prices for aftermarket parts so I could bitch about them on my blog. The three units in the first pic are around NZ$2100 each. I have bought whole bikes for less than that! And how about those 'fenderless kits' which are just an alternative mount for your number plate to allow you to take the rear fender off. They may be pretty carbon fiber, but who cares if you you're just gonna stick your number plate over the top and cover it up. There's no way I would NZ$300 for that. There are plenty of other similarly expensive parts too - $1400 for a set of brake discs anyone?
I realise that if I only had one bike to keep maintained I would have more to spend on fancy bits, and that other people are obviously on higher salaries than me, but still... isn't this outrageous? How is it in NZ? Do any of you spend two grand on aftermarket shocks?

Submit "Price shock" to Digg Submit "Price shock" to del.icio.us Submit "Price shock" to StumbleUpon Submit "Price shock" to Google Submit "Price shock" to reddit Submit "Price shock" to Facebook

Comments

I've been keeping an eye out for replacement shocks for my twin FVQs, and there seems plenty for around $1500 or so; and those are fairly unknown brands. If those really are Öhlins I wouldn't be that surprised. Crazy, eh! On the other side, I've seen MDI twin shocks for under $200; Bonez recommended them to me, they obviously aren't Öhlins but I bet they're a hell of a lot better than Honda FVQs.
    Afterwards I realised that those in the pic are all for bikes that have shocks on either side, so the price is for the pair of them - that makes it a bit better eh?