View RSS Feed

Survival Skills

What is needed to stay alive on two wheels

1. Choosing a Motorcycle Helmet

Overview

Rather like emergency braking, a discussion on helmets can be like a discussion on religion. People often take polarised views. Unlike emergency braking you don't really want to practice coming off your bike and having head impacts to test which is the best kind of helmet for you.

So short of repeated practical experience you have to learn a little bit about helmets to help you make a choice that is only like to be tested once.

One thing you'll notice ...
  2. Motorcycle Emergency Braking

Emergency Braking is a contentious discussion topic. Many people have different views - and often they are all right - in certain circumstances. Often views vary from country to country as different methods are taught, and people like to (rightly or wrongly) defend what they have learnt and practised over the years.

What is emergency braking?
    Emergency braking is the act of bringing a motorbike to a complete halt in the minimum amount of distance.

Overview

Updated 29th March 2010 at 08:23 by p.dath (Added info about wheel locking)

Categories
    General Bike Ravings , Survival Skills
  3. Hyperspace,what bike for adventure trails, tracks, gravel and tarmac

Quote Originally Posted by navek View Post
    Hi All knowledgable bike types
    Having recently upskilled to novice in trail riding skills in last 11 months from ziltch to able to get there, finally got bike suited to my personailty/skills KTM 400, (great bike)for weekend trails but now wish for more 'Adventure' type bike for comfort over longer and longer km's on road and gravel but still capable in trails. Most importantly short legs make this challenging. My list BMW 650 GS great seat height lovely on road, bad small front wheel low
  4. What would you take for a touring ride - remember to

OK, for those that want to "fill their car" with what I'd recommend as fairly bog std crap for long-ish touring rides (ex the Chch Weds Night Rides thread after I reminded them that a tyre kit wasn't a bad idea and then someone did a clutch cable too & then they got all smart-ass):

Yeah, well I do carry one of those too - don't want the 6-weeks-ex-germany-its-unobtainium-otherwise BS I'd get via Murphys' law if i didn't have one!... But I thought I'd already lectured the obvious too ...
  5. Sat 9th : Piggy in the middle

A most welcoming and heartfelt felicitation to you dear reader, this time a most quick missive that may repeat some details from previously, but rest assured, there is a small momentary twist in the tale.

I found myself in the afternoon with a small surfeit of time to myself after I had cleared my schedule of interruptions. Off to Maraetai once again to plunder the schools of small baitfish for more fishing tomorrow. All went well and in a short two hours or so I had taken 30 or so ...
  6. My Christmas Wish

I want nothing for myself other than to be chatting with you all this time next year.

If you are driving or riding never drive/ride faster than your angels can cary you.

P.S

If you love music and sad things please watch the attached ad. Its an Aussie one but the message is universal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8...ayer_embedded#
  7. Wed 16th : A vexing day, most vexing indeed!

This morning, I was confronted by the spectre of having a broken day of riding, oh the agony of it all! Family responsibilities and other such hum drum necessities of life does intrude on one's riding desires!

Suffice to say my good reader that I am contracted to work for a goodly number of hours in the family business, to wit : being a short order cook, serving up a palatable array of consumables to customers for remittances. This will entail me curtailing my desire to "ride as far ...
  8. Any one know where I can source a

Hi-Viz motorcycle jacket with CE approved armour in shoulders, elbows and back. Have found a few on overseas sites but not too trusting of those..

If you know of where I can source one I would appreciate it. Saw some technic ones at the Parliament ride but their site does not list them.

Cheers Sam

P.s would rather look like a big , than a and I also find cars move out of my way when I wear my current hi vis vest
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast