View RSS Feed

Life in Urkadurkastan...

Never blogged before so for a start lets see if I can get this organised

1. What a weekend

18 months since my last blog...guess this one is o/due

I was going to write about the trip up to site yesterday....cept the story starts in Rolleston 2 weeks ago...on the way to the airport to return to work. Suitcase was a little light for the return, so off to the supermarket to stock up with essentials....gluten free pasta, gf biscuits, gf caramel slice, gf....you get the drift, GF foods are scarce here in Urkadurkastan....then to Henry's for a couple of bottles of Bundy for the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Dining in Urkadurkastan

Well....been back in Krgyzstan for about a month or so. Holiday back in NZ was good, but for the weather.

Dining....Mining camp food has only gone down hill in the last year. Sat night steaks are now Sat night Steak Casserole...fish Friday is now fish cake friday and lunch buffet is now a selection of ...1....soup. With the increasing price of gold, and reported mine profits increasing, I must wonder why? I actually know the answer to that...The HR managers performance budget is directly ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Holidays....waaahhhoooooo !!!!!!

This is it…the moment I have been waiting for since Feb…HOLIDAYS.

For me a holiday is a little different….instead of a trip away it’s a trip home to the familiar…Speights, Vegemite, road signs I understand, good fenced roads, no hoiking goubbies on the foot path, low altitude, Battered Blue cod, Pepper steak or venison pies, television I can understand, people I can converse with….and my bike.

These breaks, 3 times a year are necessary to re focus and recover. Will ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. An AB supporter in Urkadurkastan

Due to one popular request... here is another installment...

Most of those readers on the KB site are at least moderately intelligent…cough cough…and would have fully absorbed all the subtleties of the commentary, on the threat to world peace and how we in the modern world tackle the problems of instability and the threat of wars….I am of course speaking of that parody on world politics that hit the big screen…”Team America World peac……World Police” From where I draw the fictional ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Wed May 20th..Suicidal Englishman?

Well I am glad that week is over. At least all the new equipment we brought for the Tribology lab is working, now to start getting results. I do get nervous when the management make statements like…We can now run the equipment until the oil analysis tells us it is time to repair.

Driving down today Kiwis in one car Aussies in another…no Kiwi baiting today. Wife tells be it is 25 to 30 in Bishkek today, it was snowing at the mine last night. I have been up here..4000M for the last ...
    Categories
    Personal entry
  6. Are these Kyrgyz kinky or what...?

The answer is or what but you will not find out till the end…

When my wife and I first arrived in Urkadurka land it was summer, temps to 45C, kids running everywhere, I got that thirsty onetime I was tempted to buy cold fermented horses milk available on every street corner …I actually wanted the somewhat more palatable sweet barley water but things got confused in the translation…Anyway as newbie’s do we headed off to for a wander around a popular market called the Dordoi bazaar. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Friday 17th April

Two mistakes in quick succession, am I a slow learner or what? 26 years married life and I should have learnt to budget double the cost of any accessories I want. It goes like this....I realize the bar ends mirrors I have are to wide, find an better option and decide to buy them while in Spain instead of Mail order with freight customs and customs agent costs. So I make contact with the bike shop CafeMoto in Malaga Spain and order the bits. Today we Visit the bike shop, drool over some of the Aprillias, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Thurday 9th April

The trip down was unusual in that none of the normal dramas took place and, baa for one small “discussion” regarding some 20 000 merino sheep NZ once sent to Kyryzstan as a gesture of friendship to improve he std of the Kyrgyz stock, there was very little kiwi baiting…phew. It was a quick trip down 5 hrs exactly. (I had thought it was Australia that sent the sheep)
    Thursday started in the typical going somewhere by plane fashion, alarm at 2 am, no hot water for showers, and loving wife’s ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast