Blog Comments

Great read Rodney, there are some nice roads on your next trip pending. We did the East Cape in 08' and done in sunshine the whole way. I have an over night ride pin the making for the end of August so keep an eye out for that, something a little different
    well back together to a degree and thanks to few good buys on TM. must admit doesnt look like a super magna anymore .
    A good story ... thanks. Carrington Road is a good ride, as is much of the Taranaki area and all made more interesting with family the connections we all have with the area.
    Goodness, gracious me, what a shocker....

Post or situation, your call.
    Good on you and Buggsy. Sounds like you had a great time.
    Touring on a scooter, got to admire that! Good read too .
    No speeding ticket? Amazing, not that I'm complaining of course! Hell, I don't think I'd ever be that close and yet not get one.

Having now started driving a bit (and completing my licence just yesterday) I love cruise control. Dial it in for 100kph real and relax. Cops over crests... no problem. If only the BMW had it
    Great story!
    What about the slipper clutch, do you need to adjust that once you have adjusted the cable clutch?? If so what is best fo rthat and how?
    Well done, You certainly didn't leave much room for yourself on the bike, Tenting is not quite at night but I love the sound of trees etc at night, but then it wasn't great weather forecasts for you so it would be a tad different, When out hunting we leave our gear all day and I never worry.... But you can never be sure

Did you back the springs back to what you had after I set it up one notch for the weight?

SH2 to Gisborn, then Mahia (A must divert in my books) Wairoa, Napier then Taupo has some Fantastic sights too and not quite so windy... Next bike?

My Daughter was impressed with the load you had on the bike and is keen to start her touring..... but it will be with me in Tow for a while before she tries a run like that on her own
    There is a huge amount of organising a trip Rodney. Most of which goes into making it as easy/comfortable and affordable for everyone who attends to be honest. It's always pleasing when, at the end of the trip, most have had a great time of it...Making an workable itinerary and sticking to it is achievable when those with you (and I speaking a large group situation) stick to it. On one trip, a group made an unsheduled stop which threw things a bit for others and then dicided to stop for coffee at a different place than organised. Which in itself was not that bad, I normally phone a cafe' in the planning, to let them know how many are coming and about what time. On that occassion, I did not phone ahead so wasn't an issue...can be like herding cats at times... I like things to run smooth as possible... and that almost happens

Be sure to keep an eye out for our 3rd annual three day Northland trip to the Cape in November. We are going up Queens birthday to to check out a few things and sort out accomodation rate/dates.
    Great tenting area, you will be amazed. Nice grass area two steps from the beach and looking out over cable bay.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-(20-November)
    Try organising all that........for 20 + bikes!
    In actual fact, it's all very similar logistically speaking. Times/distances travelled/food stops and accom to suit everyone/fuel stops.
    Can be a complete joy but at the same time....hair pullingly frustrating all rolled into one.
    An experience none the less.
    When the big bike comes along for you make sure it has either or can have attached to it a pack rack, saddle bags or panniers join Top10 holiday parks ( I did Nth & Sth isld tour recently & stayed with them through out @ avg rate $50-60 ) so you have some home comforts for a better Once I got the touring bug I have never looked back, recent Nth/Sth tour saw me cover 7500km over 2 weeks, every day spent in a differant place was awesome well done to you both for giving it a go no doubt you will find a bigger bike easier to ride over longer distances
    Route was my fault, so 'mea maxima culpa', blame me for that. I knew the roads were going to be twisty even though I hadn't ridden them before, didn't take the newbie factor enough into account.

I was pretty sure that we were going to call the whole thing off Friday morning after the Thursday nightmare, but you just kept going...so be proud of yourself for that at least.

Dunno, you might get a pleasant surprise when you next jump on the ginny - after the 'experience' gained, it may be more of a pleasure than you think.
    Im not sure you know, ive been doing big trips every 2nd weekend and im starting to get tired because im doing heaps of riding when maybe i should be resting and recouperating? also i want another bike im getting bored! also J you should do a trackday i did my first at 6 weeks!
    I'm a bit jealous that you did that trip. Although not so much about the troubly bits

It is pretty awesome though.

So what's your next bigger trip going to be?
    Cool man, yeha, go you, you rock! Where are the photos of you. I'm not a camper, never will be, yeah bought myself a little roll pack thing for the bike! I would be staying at motels or hotels, I'm a wimp!!! So these track days, I could see myself doing that sort of thing!!!
    Nice to see the gang out enjoying the good weather and Nils Poulsen in attendance!
    good luck
    Geez, those aircraft bring back some memories. My first flight was in a Devon as part of an ATC trip. later I did my navigation training in a Devon with an astrodome. Even now I know that when taking star sightings an error of only one minute in marking down the time can lead to a navigation error of 4 miles.

Then the Bristols. 40,000 rivets flying in formation. They were noisy.