View RSS Feed

Survival Skills

What is needed to stay alive on two wheels

1. A biker gets his hands on 4 wheels (20/11/2011)

I know, an unusual blog for a biker (especially one with only a L plate for cars), but it involves other bikers, so why not?

So the reason for needing to get south after the Learner Ride to Cape Reinga was Wanpo’s birthday celebration. He’d invited a bunch of his mates for a bit of karting, and despite being slightly worried (those who have been on KB for a while will know bikers and karting are an interesting mix) who really cares? It’s not like I own those karts (in hindsight, this ...
  2. The journey ahead and the beaten path travelled..

It's been over a year now that i threw my leg over my ZZR and went off happily into the inner city traffic that Auckland has to offer. I look back with a smile, admiring how far I have come and what I have learnt along the way. I remember when nearly everyday i would be bitching about some car driver cutting me off or doing something stupid and nearly killing me etc.. and it's dawned on me that it hasn't happened in a long, long time, I have learnt to be aware of the situations around me and anticipate ...
  3. Thanks Mr Avon!...and I bid thee farewell, Adieu …and I wave with a Big Finger!!

FU Mr Avon!! You can take your Storm 2 Ultras and shove ‘em where the sun don’t shine. I’ve had nothing but great riding off the Avon Storms but my last three rears (all Storm 2 Ultras) have cost me a fortune and given me no end of grief. The attached refers for the first two, to which I received no comment or reply….and then there was this weekend!!

The bike has been running great, I did have to get a Battlax 023 fitted to the front (I might note that this was because of Mr Avon’s ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avon Storm Ultra.pdf   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10-09001.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	248300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10-09002.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	248301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-10-09003.JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	248302  
  4. Buying stuff you’ll hopefully never need (29/09/2011)

Yeup, you read that right. Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been on a bit of a bent about survival and rider training.

Ages ago GiJoe had mentioned first aid kits and that sort of thing and I had shrugged it off. Since preparing for the GC last year I have been thinking of it more, especially when I had a few close shaves with cars on some runs, or helping people broken down in the middle of nowhere. Then Katiepie had her incident and it was a further reminder that I really should ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02923.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	247621  
  5. First SASS Practice (28/09/2011)

Standing for the South Auckland Street Skills (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-Street-Skills), it’s about practising your skills safely in a car park. Nope, not wheelies and what not, it’s more slow speed handling and braking. Free to come along and enjoy the practising, it’s opposite the Manukau Central Police Station every Wednesday… check out the thread.

I’d been to the one two weeks previous, but it was cold and rain threatening, so we headed ...
  6. I now see the beauty of riding the perfect race

I now see the beauty of riding the perfect race as for those 8 - 10 laps your out giving it your all and you become lost in the simple task of riding your bike. Almost nothing else going on in your life matters.

I raced late last month for "one last time" before going into hospital for treatment for cancer. It was the first time my health really affected my riding as I couldn't breath.

Tomorrow I am being admitted into Wgtn Hosp for further tests and start chemo and ...
  7. Oil for 2007 Bonneville

Hi

I have had my 2007 Bonneville for a about a month, and I need to service the bike and change the oil, filter and plugs. I would normally approach street and sport in CHCH and buy from them, but they are not operational at this time.

I was wondering if anyone can advise me on the best place to purchase the Oil, filter and plugs from in CHCH or surrounding areas.

Thanks in advance for your help
    Cheers
    Lee
  8. Army Training Area Ride

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ure-Ride/page8

Words can't really describe it...the pictures and videos kind of can...but you really had to be there. Awesome weekend with good company. Pushing bikes and people to the limit...well in a low key, adventure bike kinda way. But fair to say it tested some of us, myself included, both in riding skills, stamina and decision making. Videos to follow.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast