View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. The Chronicles of Sled:The "Big Twin" Update 1 -RESULTS-

The results are in hot off the press people.

I suspect Mr Speedpro may have done this before see the graph below for results.

The red line was basically where we started and we ended up with the blue line. The two lighter more spaced out dotty lines are the torque with values on the right, these are really big numbers for a 140 twin but remember there's no correction for the low gearing.

We did a total of about 30 runs all up, these graphs best represent ...
  2. The Chronicals of Sled:The "Big Twin" Update

It's time I got around to an update as the bigbore twin is now together and running.

As I have limited amounts of all necessary resourses I have not been able to get any of my bottom end "wish list" stuff done. I have run the bike up to the operational design speed I was aiming for, ahem

The engine doesn't seem to be at its potential yet in terms of outright performance, I haven't done any tuning as such I just replaced the pistons and rings made ...
  3. The Chronicles of Sled: Always keep a good supply of lube!

It is vitally important to keep a good supply of quality lubricant on hand at all times incase of any emergent situations where intimacy of mating parts is critical.

Failure to adhere to good lube practices can result increased levels of painful stiction and friction which in turn creates a general lack of satifaction with preformance and in the long term can result in excessive clearance between the formally intimate components.

Unfortunately a friend of mine was ...
  4. The Chronicles of Sled

Well I've done quite a bit of work to this bike over the years, I thought I'd put all my efforts in one place to make it easier to track the progress over the years.

To provide a little background to this, I started racing Buckets seriously at the end of 01 when I raced Super Moto around the Kart tracks and carparks at the bucket meetings.

I'd ridden a few buckets before then and they were all quite hard to get the best out because their chassis let them down. Then ...
  5. It's Broked As!

As detailed here, my bike suffered a broken drive belt on the Chateau to Plateau ride - its second broken belt in 3 months. It wasn't my happiest day.

My original thoughts were to just park it in the garage for about 6 weeks and ignore it. The full belt replacement (which I'm familiar with from the first one in October) is about a $1000 repair, and I don't really have that much spare cash at the moment, especially after paying for a service and new rear tyre in January ($600 and change ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CH073226.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	284.0 KB 
ID:	188391  
  6. Update Feb 09

Heh. Almost forgot I had a blog. The new site arrangement makes it easier to see and to post, so maybe I'll post a bit more often.

It's quite funny reading back on your own blogs, especially one you started when you were on an L-plate. I'm now on my 6F and have ridden the Volty to Cape Reinga and back, as well as riding to work virtually every day.

Seems such a long time ago that riding to Papatoetoe was worth writing about.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. encouraging

Took Ikasu down to Dick and he checked alignment of the motor, sprockets, etc and he said I did good. We stripped the seat, tank, rev counter and the like off and turned the bike upside down. Using two angle straight edges and various piece's of engineering wonder he checked the alignment of the wheels, etc and found I was out by a whopping 0.25 mm!

Great to hear and get help from such a legend and guru of motorcycle knowledge. What I now need to do is finish the engine mounts as ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. A fresh start

Been a while since I've used this, but the forum updates seem to have improved things, and now I've got a new bike I think I'll keep it up to date - particularly with the upcoming attempt at fixing the drive belt myself. More to come...