View RSS Feed

Sport/Road Bikes

Two wheels and sometimes one, on the tarmac

1. TT2000 on a GN250 - Thursday - Auckland to Picton

Thursday – Auckland to Wellington

Day 1 of our trip was the Auckland to Picton stretch. Gremlin and I were originally planning to leave at about 8-9am in order to catch the ferry at 6:25. Given the change in circumstances and equipment I decided that it is going to be a wise idea if I left a little bit earlier to give myself and the GN some time in case we weren't able to move the same speed at Gremlins brand new BMW. How right was I.

Leaving at 6am with the bike fully ...
  2. TT2000 on a GN250 - Preperation

We are all crazy in our own way…

Having done the TT2000 with Gremlin in 2010 I was definitely hooked to long distance rallies and also ended up doing the Rusty Nuts’ Grand Challenge. There as no question I was going to go down to the TT2000 in 2011 as well.

Some people go through extraordinary lengths of preparation for the TT. This sometimes includes obtaining a whole new motorcycle, with extended fuel range, accessories setup, and clocking thousands and thousands ...
  3. THe long road to recovery becomes a short jump to success.

Last Sunday here in Wellington we had the 2nd round of King of Kaitoke. I got a two seconds and a fourth (a bolt in my gear change mechanism broke leaving me stuck in fourth gear).

it was nice to do well but feel a bit bruised and battered from some of the comments people are making about lines and passing. The hard part in all of it is I really have no clue when it comes to the lines one should take. I lost a lot of confidence last year where I was totally out classed by the other ...
  4. It was all on till the fifth lap and then non piston slap piston slap was heard

Don't they say something along the lines of preparation is key, or something to that effect.

One must also include in this, "check any engine mods you have done religiously when trying out something new!"

Half way through the first race of the day my engine got very very noisy to where it sounded like one of the cam chain guides had shat itself. What is was the piston grinding against the edge of the cylinder wall as one of the brass buches and aluminum bullets had ...
  5. Performance Pipes for Daytona 675 - Thoughts?

Hi everyone - I'm looking for peoples views on the best sounding/looking pipe for a Triumph Daytona 675 (09). I'm pretty taken with the Jardine RT-1 (carbon). Are there any thoughts on the Jardine or, 'better' alternatives...views would be most welcome! Thanks.
  6. Let the unpacking begin

What a rush Taupo Road racing Spectacular was this year. Managed to inprove from my 24th finish last year to 17th. Reduced my lap times (in the dry) from 1 min 44 sec laps to 1.33 laps on the first day. The second day was wet so it was wets for those who had them, which for a lot of us was the first time we had raced on them. My second day times went from plus 2 min to 1.49, much to my delight. And what battles were had with the field breaking into groups of 4-6 bikes fighting it out. I'm also starting ...
  7. All packed up

I'm locked, I'm loaded and i wish I had had a decent nights sleep. Heading off to Wanganui to play pit bitch for the day then off to Taupo for my break from it all. Yea-ha. Test rode the bucket last night and seems all good. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. in theory each race should last 10-12 minutes so there should be too much trouble. The new clip handlebars made a huge difference in handling, hopefully no more painful wrists. See you on the other side
  8. What a way to spend Christmas Day.

Yesterday was a complete bust when it came to my bucket. I couldn't ask for a better day for working on Zensen. Suns out, next to no wind, warm and I even manage to get some sleep last night. So far have got the head torqued back down. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to finish her up, couple hours to pack, finishing up with Pizza and coke. THen up at 4am to drive to Wanganui. Help Geoff for gthe day then head to Taupo.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast