Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by bosslady
    how did you put the pegs in?
    Pushed them in by hand as far as I could, then tried a combination of standing on them with boot or hitting them with the small hammer I did take - both of these resulted in most of the pegs just bending over rather than going in any further. Tried a few different spots but no better.

The ground was pretty stony and possibly a bit harder than usual because of the drought? Hopefully not what you usually get in campgrounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd
    Hey that all looks like good stuff to me , really like the waterproof bags (I already had similar 30L and 45L givi ones but yours look way better, especially that one with the valve on the bottom, that's a good idea - and I can't fit the tent in either of mine and they cost more).

Most of that you should be able to use whether you're camping or not - sleeping bag saves on linen etc. I'm using a 30 year old one I inherited, so not sure how it "rates".

Putting up the tent shouldn't be a problem, getting the pegs in was for me but I'm going to have a go at making sharper tips on mine and take a largish rubber mallet with me next time just in case.
    how did you put the pegs in?
    Hey that all looks like good stuff to me , really like the waterproof bags (I already had similar 30L and 45L givi ones but yours look way better, especially that one with the valve on the bottom, that's a good idea - and I can't fit the tent in either of mine and they cost more).

Most of that you should be able to use whether you're camping or not - sleeping bag saves on linen etc. I'm using a 30 year old one I inherited, so not sure how it "rates".

Putting up the tent shouldn't be a problem, getting the pegs in was for me but I'm going to have a go at making sharper tips on mine and take a largish rubber mallet with me next time just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider
    The Gear looks good ... but the sleeping bag is only rated to +6 degrees C. Minus 6 deg being stated as "Survivable". That means temperatures above zero is comfortable (wear your wooly hat to bed). So summer/(early)Autumn use recommended.
    A two person tent is good for one person. Very cramped for two (with gear) people though.
    The rest looks good. Use zip-lock bags to store clothes you really want/need to stay dry. And dirty/wet clothes you don't want to get your clean/dry clothes dirty and wet. (plastic rubbish bags are good for that)
    I figured if I wore lots of layers when I was sleeping it would be ok? the better ones were too big when folded up... dilemma? the bags are plenty waterproof too
    The Gear looks good ... but the sleeping bag is only rated to +6 degrees C. Minus 6 deg being stated as "Survivable". That means temperatures above zero is comfortable (wear your wooly hat to bed). So summer/(early)Autumn use recommended.
    A two person tent is good for one person. Very cramped for two (with gear) people though.
    The rest looks good. Use zip-lock bags to store clothes you really want/need to stay dry. And dirty/wet clothes you don't want to get your clean/dry clothes dirty and wet. (plastic rubbish bags are good for that)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant`
    Looks good always good fun to get away.. Be able to do the cold kiwi or something similar where camping during winter is the thing :-)
    dunno if the tent would hold up to that though...
    Looks good always good fun to get away.. Be able to do the cold kiwi or something similar where camping during winter is the thing :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane12
    I was not sure if I'd ever be confidant enough to wave/wave back at bikers, rather than just 'the nod', but now I wave most of the time. I am still unsure of the exact practice of the 'kiwibiker wave'.
    I just do it all the time now lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf
    "STALL, try again, STALL" Happens to the experienced too. Riding a 1000cc sports bike at the lights... watch the lights for other traffic turn red. Count down on my lights to green. Its GREEN.... GO!... STALL. The scooter next to me takes off and beats me to the merging lane. FAIL.
    awww lols
    Looks like a good idea, Ya could probably get the welds xray'd to prove their sound???
    For bag security, this may be something worthwhile for you: http://pacsafe.com/products

Regular rest will help your mind focus more, as it's wandering because you can't focus for continuous long periods. I find it happens worse on easy straighter roads, but winding roads and the mind snaps back to the job. Enjoy the exploring... I haven't quite convinced myself yet that I should camp. Nice bed and shower are high on my list of priorities
    1st of many for you I hope..... I have friends dotted around the country so most of my long trips (car and bike) are to visit them and do stuff (hunting mostly) but I do tent as well.... also have a bivvy bag that I used last time as it was dark and I couldn't be bothered putting the tent up.... didn't sleep well that night

Yup I tend to strait line it when doing long trips but last couple done on the bike we set a few stop offs, pub for a light beer, somewhere for a feed (cafe with the view of the sea) interesting lookouts etc, spots to pose with the bike (cell phone pics, didn't take the camera)

There are a huge amount of DOC campsites dotted around the country so you can stop for the night in some pretty out of the way places, some have short stints on gravel but lots don't, The is a file online you can open in Google earth.. Mostly nothing there but a long drop, some not even that but I prefer keeping it basic (I hunt to so used to it and have the gear) An Exped mat is next on my purchase list and the ground mats I have aren't that great and they have a great reputation and being the best.
    what a bloody good effort I'm jealous!! I've started to learn how to pack less, still need to work on that, hah! but I'm getting better... agree you need to stop more, tis meant to be fun eh, not an endurance test lols. I usually stop every 80-150km.
    If you are by yourself ... it pays to have at least a two person tent. Or even better a three person tent. That is because the tent interior doesn't get so cramped (and more floor space).
    Well done Koro, bt where's the pic of the ST in the ford?
    I hope the "billit" was the Hilton. Doing those Km's on 50cc, you deserve it. Sounded like you had fun though.
    That's quite an epic ride on a scooter. I might have to stick that on the bucket list.
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider
    Well written. A trip well rode. Quite a few milestones in that trip. Be proud of your effort. An epic journey for an L plate'r.

Take sun tan lotion (and a back-door key on the bike key-ring) next trip
    good idea!
    Here's the coolest version of the 3 wheeler ever - The Morgan 3 Wheeler

http://www.morgan3wheeler.co.uk/home.html
    Quote Originally Posted by nadroj
    Transverse front spring will make it lean the wrong way in a corner.
    Yeah,good point however it's likely to be fairly stiffly sprung so I don't see too much of a problem & there's always the anti roll bar option if needed later on