Blog Comments

I love the CBR400RR especially the NC35 with its upside down forks. Lovely wee V4. I've had two blades and I may well sell the most recent one (now I do not commute). I've often thought it would be cool to replace it with a CBR400RR. That would look so dam cool sitting next to my old Katana!
    put that in for pic of the week thats a great pic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk
    I not sure but at a guess an imported bike will need to go through certification then warrent and finally reg. I think it maybe possible reg a bike for a month. this may help https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/importing-a-vehicle/
    Cheers for that
    I not sure but at a guess an imported bike will need to go through certification then warrent and finally reg. I think it maybe possible reg a bike for a month. this may help https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/importing-a-vehicle/
    CBTA is a course and an assessment, the NZTA tests are just 60minute and 30 minute observed rides with a pass or fail result. If you want to ensure you have the skills and knowledge, do the CBTA courses. If you think you can pass the NZTA tests, it's the simplest and cheapest way to get a licence but you won't gain anytthing.
    As per the last two responses, fan should be helping the natural airflow, so pushing air towards the back of the bike. Swapping the wires will change direction.

Just thinking... If you were overheating and the fan wasn't turning on, have you checked circulation? Faulty thermostat? The thermo switch for the fan is usually housed in or around the radiator, and the radiator wont get hot if there's poor circulation.
    Only two wires to connect it up and you may have got it wrong. Reverse the two wires ad see if it reverses the direction of spin.
    You view the fan from behind looking in the direction of travel. The fan should turn towards its forward most point of the blade.
    I get lots of infractions on here proving I have got a fan club on here with my kind of debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy0501
    Awesome work... truly inspiring. Did you do it by yourself or someone else helped you up?
    YouTube helped a lot along with a dodgy copy of the service manual. I have been working on it by myself but its a slow process as the funds have been limited and as you know everything costs a small fortune and lots of time.

I didnt get to do much of anything recently as i was busy waiting for parts but will do another write-up soon to explain the latest updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern scratcher
    Good job on the forks, and write up! I bought a '94 GSXR400 a couple of years ago and while the forks were'nt rusted like yours they were in bad need of attention. The GSXR actually has USD's which is not common on those 250/400 fours form the late eighties onwards. Most of them have too softer springs from the factory so i put some stiffer racetech springs in there at the same time I had them apart. Not real cheap ($270) but made a big difference to the handling and the front end no longer dived like a submarine every time I rolled off the gas
    Yes, a piece of PVC pipe the right diameter is ideal for fitting new fork seals and also glad wrap over the top of the fork tube makes it easier and less damaging when sliding the new seal on. I put too lighter fork oil in for a start and it made my action too quick on the return stroke (not enough rebound damping) which buggered up my handling a bit. So dont use 5w fork oil!
    Keep the blog entries coming
    Awesome work... truly inspiring. Did you do it by yourself or someone else helped you up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern scratcher
    Good job on the forks, and write up! I bought a '94 GSXR400 a couple of years ago and while the forks were'nt rusted like yours they were in bad need of attention. The GSXR actually has USD's which is not common on those 250/400 fours form the late eighties onwards. Most of them have too softer springs from the factory so i put some stiffer racetech springs in there at the same time I had them apart. Not real cheap ($270) but made a big difference to the handling and the front end no longer dived like a submarine every time I rolled off the gas
    Yes, a piece of PVC pipe the right diameter is ideal for fitting new fork seals and also glad wrap over the top of the fork tube makes it easier and less damaging when sliding the new seal on. I put too lighter fork oil in for a start and it made my action too quick on the return stroke (not enough rebound damping) which buggered up my handling a bit. So don't use 5w fork oil!
    Awesome feedback and much appreciated, its funny how each time you do a job you will find new and better ways of doing things. I fitted the seals and of course after fitting them realized about the glad wrap trick after stuffing around trying to be careful installing them. I have done this job on a different set of forks and did use that trick but its so long ago i didn't consider it at all when doing this install.

I cant remember what grade oil i used I must have a look and of course see how the handling is. I suspect it will be average and either an oil change will be needed or oil and springs. I didn't go down the spring route yet as I had so much expense everywhere else on this bike and really just wanted to get back to standard and see how I felt about it first before doing anything extra.

I have a GSXR750 so my go fast and handling issues are fairly sorted and the 400RR is really a nostalgic bike for me as i just have always liked those older bikes and had to have one. I need to add another RGV to the shed and a NSR but finding those at the right price is not easy these days. My friend had a GSXR400rr some years back and that was a fun machine also. I loved the upside down forks on them and like the RGV they were the only bikes with that tech at that time.

I will be doing another write-up soon but I was waiting on parts and that had been holding me up. I am not happy either with the front clock stay as i found better ways of cleaning it all up after i had completed that bit so i will revisit it and removed all the rust totally and replace all the rust bolts etc. I am about a week away from having another write-up ready. I am in the process also of filming all the new updates as its a lot faster for me to update the project that way.
    I'm admiring your thoroughness! Looking good.
    Yes, a piece of PVC pipe the right diameter is ideal for fitting new fork seals and also glad wrap over the top of the fork tube makes it easier and less damaging when sliding the new seal on. I put too lighter fork oil in for a start and it made my action too quick on the return stroke (not enough rebound damping) which buggered up my handling a bit. So dont use 5w fork oil!
    the little beast is now at 1500KM fully broken in (I believe) --- averaging 31KM/L with mostly wide open throttle motorway/back country and hard riding --- so she sips gas even @ WoT!
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark
    Toto i am still deciding, i want to keep it resonabl origional as this is more of a resto job nothing radical, but i do want her to be my bike as well jsut slight hints to make it unique, so instead of black frame i am going for a red frame, and the wheels will be black instead of silver, with red pinstriped wheels.
    Hi, I am a new member to this site and it has been the recent purchase of a 1981 Suzuki GS650G Katana that has led my search for info to Kiwi Biker.
    I am keen to know how your project panned out. Yes I know it was 9 years ago but can't see any further posts.
    What I have bought is very rusted/ oxidised and basically parts in a box. Not sure how it will all work out but here goes I suppose. Thje last time I rode a bike was 50 years ago and I'm not a mechanic, but am really keen to succeed with this project. The project is to get it running and track worthy for a bit of track fun. Maybe a Cafe Racer type machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch
    That looks like a good buy. Enjoy.
    have to say it's a pretty sweet all rounder -- very smooth for a single (comparing to a GN125, a lot less vibration at the top end)

1100KMs on the bike now, has been left outside at work during these storms and haven't had any rust on the spokes which I was expecting so built materials aren't as shit as they often can be with the small bikes --- keeps up with motorway traffic no probs, though you wont be passing anyone unless they're doing 80

Yamaha NZ have customized it (and put a shitter front brake on... WHY?!?!) which looks great / poised to replace the AG100 line which would be a bit of a shame tbh but if they cant get road compliance I can understand the move

Hey mate, did you ever finish this project? Would love to see how it turned out, cheers
    That looks like a good buy. Enjoy.
    just a quick update on fuel consumption, currently doing approx 39KM/L or 4.85L for 189KM whilst the engine is still breaking in with a mix of street and higher speed trips from mangere to bombay through the back roads --- Front brake has much improved since hard braking and driving the front wheel through water ! as good as the DRZ's now on a much lighter bike, can't complain.

also pretty wet round here at the moment

Page 1 of 138 1231151101 ... LastLast