View RSS Feed

General Bike Maintenance

Bike servicing, rebuilding, restoring, manuals, etc..

1. the first steps

So we had a Block and a lot of bits. The first thing that we had to get our head around was what the previous guy had been thinking for how every thing would go together.

There were some things that were obvious problems needing solutions and a few things that I didn't agree with that he had done in design. That happens, no one is every completely right. The main problems were getting the crank balanced, figuring out the oil flows and figuring out how to do the cam chains. Some of ...
  2. The beginning

I picked up this project part way. i can't claim to have had all of the great ideas.

The idea of a custom V-Twin engine for the formula sae car had been around for a few years in the Auckland team and an old Yamaha Vision engine was dyno’ed and played with to try and get some rough data.

A team member was dead set on the idea of a V twin, was given a bit of cash and he started developing ideas for how a v twin could work. Over a year he came up with the idea that I ...
  3. Background

Gidday
    My name is Craig and I’m a fourth year mechanical engineering student at the University of Auckland. Also while I have been at university I have been part of the University of Auckland Formula SAE team ( www.FSAE.co.nz ). As part of my degree I have to do a project about something engineering based. For this project I have decided to put two single cylinder dirt bike engines onto a common crank to make a V-twin.
    There are two reasons why I’m doing this project;

4. Avon Bastards

I've had some great rides lately but I seem to have a lot to bitch about as well. This week it's the distributors of Avon Tyres that have pissed me off.

I upgraded my bike in January and by mid February I was averaging 1,000 km/week and had done 3,800 km when I got a puncture in the rear tyre which damaged the inner membrane, requiring it be replaced. I had used a Conti Milestone on the Intruder and found it to have good grip and wear and since the Avon Storms hadn't been released ...
  5. broken t-rex

absolutly gutted went up piha for a ride and went for a swim in may and while i was away from the bike this f:@kin subaru wanker reversed into my trx and knocked it onto a 4x4 bull bar its broken the bikini fairing does anyone know of a good repair guy that is good
  6. brake pads

my rear breaks squawk dont know why have replaced with new ones and there starting to do the same
    any ideas?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213