View RSS Feed

Project Bikes

Building your own

1. And on rolls the work + I have a new bike

Finally saved my pennies to get a Power Commander for Zensen (CBR125). So last night stripped the bike back ready to install it, only to find out it'll be here in 2 weeks (Doh). So I started to look at repositioning the muffler so it doesn't stick out as far. Now I'm rebuilding the header pipe and have started getting things ready to line up.

I've also just got rid of all my GSXR400's and the NT650 is gone for sale and I now actually have space in and around my garage.
  2. Birth of an R6 Super Stock #3

Well its been a long while since my last blog in this serial which was mid May, since then me and my family have relocated out of wellington and moved up to rural Feilding. The whole Superstock question of whats going to be the bench mark for Nationals entry bikes has only now been formulated, agreed and published recently, so the R6 has been sitting out in the shed, infact ive only done 800kms on her giving the bike a good blast after the first 500kms. Very smooth super fast from 140kmh to over ...
  3. Steampunk inspired veteran build

Need a suitable helmet, so bought a new one off TardMe & set about aging it
    Used a can of 'leather brown' vinyl spray but it still looked too new, so gave it a coat of black bumper wax & a light sand to knock the gloss back a bit
    Now I need to make a nice pair of brass goggles, like the ones in the pic, to match
    UPDATE: recently found & am lovin this cool copper helmet with 'exhaust pipes?' on the interwebs,reminiscent of that greek bloke Mercury & his winged helmet! thatll ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steampunk001.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	225906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goggles-of-brass-thumb-520x346.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	215923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vet rep helmet as bought.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	215920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vet helmet almost done.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	328.3 KB 
ID:	215922  
  4. Steampunk inspired veteran replica build

Got the wheels, a pair of rebuilt much modded 23"ers, back from the powder coaters today,resplendent in 'primrose' epoxy p/coat
    now its onto rebearing them & a visit to Pitlanes for tyre fitting
    Ill be using a pair of block pattern trials tyres
    Also, as you can see, the flywheel has been shaved of its cooling fins,as it will be an exposed 'bacon slicer' style I didnt fancy it chewing on my leg!!

Name:	vet rep wheels after pcoating.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	276.7 KB 
ID:	215914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OEM Briggs flywheel.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	224989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vet rep shaved flywheel.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	215916  
  5. Steampunk inspired veteran bike build

Had a crack at making a suitable 12v battery container this weekend
    Firstly I covered one of my Lucas figlass replica brit batt boxes with leather
    Then got some brass tile edging from work & set about converting it into decorative scrollwork on my router table
    Riveted it together with 8 brass corners ,8 brass angles , a couple of hinges , a Lucas badge & some copper paint & viola, one steampunkish battery box......

Name:	lucas batt box.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	215640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutting off brass edge.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	624.6 KB 
ID:	215641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doing scrollwork on router table.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	567.0 KB 
ID:	215642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batt box drawing & bits.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	472.3 KB 
ID:	215643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batt box progress.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	535.7 KB 
ID:	215644   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batt box almost finished.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	627.9 KB 
ID:	215652  
  6. Paint and stickers ...

Made up the stickers for my bike.

Converting the Illustrator cymk file to a jpg then a gif really farks up the colours (greens and orange especially) but at least it looks mostly the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all-stickers.gif 
Views:	95 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	214866

She's been painted all white (actually white with a touch of yellow tint and black tint) by my uncle, an automotive painter up until he retired 3 months ago. It's a very nice job and my brother and I had a good weekend hanging out with ...
  7. Trini does Hampton Downs .... THIS time!! - part 2

I put a vid in the original thread, but here's another couple that I was asked to put up.

This first one is later in the same session as the other one. I ended up chasing Quasi's R1 and was getting ready to pass him when I found a false neutral going into turn #5. He pissed off and one of the bikes I'd passed early got back past me. This is just after that.

This second vid was from playing around mounting the camera ...
  8. Trini does Hampton Downs .... THIS time!!

Finally we had a good day.

I won't make this one a novel like usual cos I'm still wiped out and sore from yesterday (the party I went to when I got home from the track probably had something to do with that), but here's some stuff.

She's really sensitive to gearing. At the moment she's half a gear too high in turns 2 and 5 (although turn 5 is probably more me still trying to figure out how the hell to get around it) and she's up against the rev limiter right beside ...
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast