View RSS Feed

Bike Gear

Keeping your skin on your body

1. Must be getting soft

Today I went and ordered an Oxford Bone Dry one piece Rain suit from TSS which will arrive tomorrow.

The rain here in Wellington is not easing up and while my current riding gear keeps me warm and dry I feel the need to keep that way.

The sad thing was that I needed a 3XL and now one in Wellington had them in my petite size

Looked on line everywhere and by the time I paid postage etc it was cheaper to buy direct from TSS. Great bunch of guys in their ...
  2. Specsavers

Introduction

For the record I am not in their industry. But have been a customer of OPSM for four years. Recently my glasses suffered a lethal accident and required to be replaced. I considered buying of an international website, however now know that this may be cheap but you need some exact eye measurements like distance between pupils etc.

I had heard of Specsavers and was very dubious, as it almost sounded too good to be true. I know if that’s the case then it’s ...
  3. Choosing a Motorcycle Helmet

Overview

Rather like emergency braking, a discussion on helmets can be like a discussion on religion. People often take polarised views. Unlike emergency braking you don't really want to practice coming off your bike and having head impacts to test which is the best kind of helmet for you.

So short of repeated practical experience you have to learn a little bit about helmets to help you make a choice that is only like to be tested once.

One thing you'll notice ...
  4. On Handstands and Helmets

So, I have a new helmet! First one in three years, in fact. Picked it up from Colemans Suzuki this morning, and boy does it feel good! There really is nothing like that new helmet feel, and the intense clarity of a brand new scratch-free visor. I remember the first time I experienced one of those. 17 years old, setting off on a three week South Island trip as a pillion. The day before Christmas I realised the visor of the helmet I had been wearing was really not conducive to taking it he panorama ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HJC_CS-R1_Paradox_&#.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	200102  
  5. New to all this....

Well i have recently started riding. My hubby started a couple of years ago and I decided it looked fun and would have a go. So bought a new GN125, decided to start small as my last experience on a motobike left me on crutches for many weeks! Not enjoying the 70km/hr rule, have managed to somehow misplace my 'L' plate, no dramas yet, had a couple of near misses but my GN seems to be very forgiving and looks after me well... although I'm definelty keen to now get something bigger!
    Finding ...
  6. Well I gone and done it now ...

Tonight, I have with some small fanfare and trepidation, have put my reputation and money where my mouth is ... I went and announced to the whole of the KB world that Jeaves and I have opened our own online bike parts store. With quality bike parts sourced from the land of the rising sun.

It was two years ago that over the re-wiring of my lil'ol'hornet's lights (for what seemed like the umpteenth time) that Jeaves and I were doing the classic Kiwi moan. "Why can't we get the cool ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BIKEKO_header.gif 
Views:	117 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	197222  
  7. What would you take for a touring ride - remember to

OK, for those that want to "fill their car" with what I'd recommend as fairly bog std crap for long-ish touring rides (ex the Chch Weds Night Rides thread after I reminded them that a tyre kit wasn't a bad idea and then someone did a clutch cable too & then they got all smart-ass):

Yeah, well I do carry one of those too - don't want the 6-weeks-ex-germany-its-unobtainium-otherwise BS I'd get via Murphys' law if i didn't have one!... But I thought I'd already lectured the obvious too ...
  8. Monday 4th : Failure to spend money on biking gear

Now please I ask for your forbearance and patience in regards to my musings for Monday, in hindsight, which is always perfect and wonderful, I would have done things scantly different. As those who know me, I have a predilection for being able to use any pretext, no matter how flimsy as an excuse to go ride my bike.

I am reminded of an old samurai/ronin apocryphal story where a lone samurai (I shall dispense with the ronin appellation since samurai evokes a much more epic sentiment) ...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast