Blog Comments

Nice pic, Bike looks good too.
    I am sorry it was just before Christmas 2012 that we stared thinking about our trip. We drove the "Ice Fields Parkway" between Jasper an Banaff It was spectacular.
    We also liked Whistler. Ended up in Calgary from where we flew back to Vancouver and then to Auckland.
    Thanks mate, see you at Round 6!!
    Nice race report Shane, and great racing. Neil.
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty
    Good write up Mate, excellent panoramas too
    Thanks mate
    Good write up Mate, excellent panoramas too
    I'm confused.... you must have been thinking about the trip in Christmas 2012 no?

Good to hear you enjoyed your ride on the Island. I have yet to make it to the Canadian Pacific coast, I need to. Furthest I have been is interior B.C. Speaking of which, how did you like Jasper? Did you do the trip between Jasper and Banff? Not exactly stellar riding roads, but the scenery is good.

If you guys ever make it to Calgary, let me know. BTW - if you ever come to Calgary in the 2nd week of July, it is Stampede Week.... very fun times.
    I had a lay day on Vancouver Island during my USA-Canada trip in 2011, thought oh sweet, I'll run up the island and back... then I realised it was around 1000km. It looked like a little island

Instead, I went out to Tofino and back, which was also stunning, and even found a couple of gravel roads on the return trip, so it was a very enjoyable day!

On the whole though, I found things like food more expensive in Canada than the USA..
    Thanks for the heads-up We're off to Canada and Alaska in August/Sept and staying on Vancouver Idland at my wife's cousin's place in Cowichan Bay for a few days halfway through the trip.

Much appreciated!

Geoff
    Nice one! I was really glad that I missed the hail by about 15 mins. Congrats on doing it hard by doing the North Island and South Island - that was always going to make it harder. In my planning I was struggling to get enough kms in the North (and hit the ferry on time) too.
    Cor Blimey! You like to make it hard eh?

Your Boddytown pic is definitely a bit suss...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    I tend to check the CPs extremely carefully during planning, tweak them as accurate as I can, .......... Also, the more in the group, the slower you're going to travel, as you stop/ride/refuel at the slowest pace every time....
    Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep! Did all that but not sure how I missed the error on Dungeon-ville? We've all ridden together and done 1000Km C1KC's, but that switch to GC Mode is a big leap psychologically and I guess I just didn't allow for that......plus I can't help myself when it comes to making a hard ride just a little bit harder!?
    I remember what happened the last time you were heading to ChurChur in hail aye? Least it wasn't a repeat!

Sounds like your typical adventure endurance riding brings... but crikey, you sure made it hard on yourself

I tend to check the CPs extremely carefully during planning, tweak them as accurate as I can, so I can trust them when knackered. Also, the more in the group, the slower you're going to travel, as you stop/ride/refuel at the slowest pace every time... Learnt that in my first GC.
    Loved the stuffed animals comment.

You make retiring something to look forward too. Just got 20 years to get the boss lady used to the idea of touring on the bike.

Keep it up and carry on!
    Quote Originally Posted by felixx
    Looked like a good day out.Well done on doing it by yourself. How many Thompson's Tracks and Goat tracks are there in NZ?

Mostly in the South Island but enough to keep busy in the North.

http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz is a good resource, but there are plenty more to find
    Looked like a good day out.Well done on doing it by yourself. How many Thompson's Tracks and Goat tracks are there in NZ?
    Was great to see you too mate. Caught up with a few people I hadn't seen for a while. Paeroa is good like that.
    Another epic race report! Great to catch up with you Shane.
    Ah is that what it was, thanks for that.
    You were sent back to the pits as the track hadn't been signed off yet... Not quite sure how that all happened