View RSS Feed

XP@

1. 2009 Grand Challenge

Friday afternoon 3pm
    Bloody Rusties... "See you on Saturday" they said. "No" I said. But then I thought about it and well, I did promise myself a treat for the 200km / day commute.
    With my bike gear soaked after the ride in to work and a new set of wets to test out the inner turmoil reaches fever pitch. Realising I don't have a phone number for any of the Rusties at the GC I call the motor camp somehow the phone goes to the kitchen, a good place to start!

Friday 8:30pm ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Pilgramage to the 'naki

Tomorrow I'm taking young Shaydon up to Waitara to meet a guy called Phil, a moderator from the Yahoo! James Motorcycle Forum. Who has a restored James of the same year. Really looking forward to be able to see what I will be aiming for.

I am also the proud owner of a spoke key. Exactly how I am supposed to use it I am not sure yet... time to go and see if WebBikeWorld has a put me in the right direction.
  3. 1936 - a good year?

I have eventually got round to looking up the frame number to find out what year the bike is. It seems they started numbering their frames in 1929 with a prefix of "A", they changed this every year to B in 1930. My frame is a "H" therefore it was born in 1936, 63 years older than me! The ending is still a 1931 (or before), but as things didn't change much in those days, it fits and would work without a problem.
  4. Wirebrush, crc and my Nuts

A few evenings in the garage with a wire brush and a big container of CRC (the one with the pump bottle attached to the side) and most of the bike is clean.

The engine and gear box cleaned up nicely, I've also cleaned up the front end. The quality of the parts is really good, much better than the other "older" (or newer) bikes I have worked on.

5. Dismantle

So I've got The James in the garage, what now?
    It fits in the wheely table I've used for other projects like the CBR Ressurection and EleXTrical XT400, that's handy.

I was having a few problems starting it so I thought i would do the usual checks and found...
    • Kick start not turning engine over - chain from gearbox to engine is in a soild mass in the chain cover.
    • Fuel
  6. The Famous James

When I was about 10 my Mum and Dad dragged me around a local classic car & steam engine show. I wasn't really interested in much, but then my Dad says look at this...
    Yes, and...?
    Look closer...
    Ah! Its a James!

So for the last 30 years I have secretly wanted to own a "James".

Not too long ago I was riding around the block. And spied some really old motorbike tyres in a garage, being a self respecting biker I take a second look and wander over ...