View RSS Feed

awa355

1. My First 1,000k Cruise.

I did not have the best of sleeps on the Friday night. The clock was reading 23:48 last time I remember looking at it, and 03:40 when I woke, knowing that was it for me. Got up and changed my mind once again about what I would wear, ignored all the advice from the pro’s and went with what I always end up wearing. I did swap the coffee for water tho’.
    I arrived at the start to find one other couple there. Over the next 30 minutes the rest rolled in. I was eyeing all these late model 1,000+cc ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Coast to Coast Part Three.

Here we go again.

Coast to Coast Part Three.

After visiting where Mokai used to exist, I was on Poihipi road. This is ‘ big bike ‘ country. Most riders take this route through to the Western Bay Access road, then up to Whakamaru. I turned off into Kaahu road. This fairly much runs parallel with the Western Bay road. It is a slower road which climbs and goes around hills more so than the better known route. This had been resealed recently and was in good condition. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Coast to Coast Part 2.

Coast to Coast part two.

As I left West Bank road I crossed the bridge and turned into East Bank road. Fuelling up at Edgecumbe, I was asked about the scooter. When I told the lady where I had come from and done she looked at me and said “ Fuck man, you must be fuckin crazy”. She was obviously educated in Edgecumbe.

My original plan had been to head off down through Murupara and back up to the Waititi valley. By this time I had been 24 hours without any sleep to ...

Updated 16th November 2013 at 07:11 by awa355 (spelling correction)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. My Coast to Coast ride.

My Coast to Coast.

This was going to be a ride to photograph the sunrise off the east coast, then photograph the sun setting off the west coast at the end of the day. The end didn’t work out quite that way for reasons I’ll explain later.
    I had wanted to do a night ride on the scooter, and as I had to be on the east coast before dawn this worked out for me.
    At midnight I pushed Buggsy out the front gate and we were off. First the back road to Lemmington, then up Maungatautari ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Kawhia to Raglan.

Kawhia to Raglan.

I had been thinking about a ride a bit more challenging than the usual roads. The coastal roads from Kawhia to Raglan were roads that I had not travelled at all. Riding them on a scooter would be an interesting angle.

So this morning Buggsy and I fueled up, him with gas, me with food and drink. Out past Pirongia we took a right at the Ngutunui school and climbed up Pekanui road. Since my last blast up this road, there have been a number of corners ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kawhia 1 (1824 x 1368).jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	709.0 KB 
ID:	289797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aotea harbour (2964 x 815).jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	415.8 KB 
ID:	289798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kawhia 2 (1824 x 1368).jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	488.8 KB 
ID:	289799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kawhia 4 (1824 x 1368).jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	317.4 KB 
ID:	289800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coast 1 (3091 x 758).jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	406.9 KB 
ID:	289801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020489 (1824 x 1368).jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	296.3 KB 
ID:	289802  
  6. Waikato scooter rides?

Took a couple of hours yesterday afternoon to have a quiet ride around a few of the side roads on the Te Pahu side on Mt Pirongia. First pic is from Bell road looking towards Mt Pirongia. As I said in an earlier post, sometimes photos just dont bring out the sharp crisp colours of Autumn. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020035 Stitch.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	530.8 KB 
ID:	283455

The roads were all in good order and ideal for leisurely riding. The lookout at the forest park end of Greys road is now getting overgrown and although I tried for ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. A Three Day ride Around Taranaki.

I set off on Monday Morning on a 3 day quest to Taranaki to find some family history. Just out of Te A, I got above the fog blanket and stopped to admire the view of the sun shining onto the hills and trees standing above the fog. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ph 1 (1824 x 1368).jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	352.6 KB 
ID:	282839

Photos just dont do justice to natures beauty sometimes. From there, it was back into the fog right through to Awakino, when the sun finally took over. A friend had said that Buggsy would struggle up Mt Messenger, but the little ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Waikato Scooter rides.

Finished looking around the classic car show at the Te A racecourse by 11.30, so decided to take the scooter for a run. I took the back road through to Otorohanga, skirted around the township and headed up the Waitomo valley road. Lots of tight corners, a few short strips of re sealing gravel. The country south of Oto certainly needs a lot of rain.

At Waitomo it was left then right into Fullerton road. Thankfully the two tourists cars in front of me were turning off just a few k's ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast