Blog Comments

I have KBC , But looking at the Sharp Rating it only got a 2.
    I was off around the Coro loop the next day, so decided to invest in a 4-5 rated helmet.
    I wandered all over Hamilton bike shops, back and forward finally found an AGV at Waikato Yamaha, rated 4 , felt great , had it 6 months now, & love it, Quiet, Light, Resin.
    It got a bit of flash Rossi design on it, but keeps an ol bugger like me young.
    Good article and well written. I have only recently become interested in the Sharp rating system since gaining a new sponsor 'CABERG helmets.' These all have 5 star ratings, even the 'flip top' helmet they have. I wear one on the track racing and find the fit to be great for my head shape. Previously I wore a Shoei XR1000 which I loved too. Incidentally, although a 'big brand,' the XR1000 helmet only got a 3 star SHARP rating which surprised me!
    Great work, to be honest I didn't give much thought to the helmet at the time other than fit and cost, probably common to new riders.
    Your article is food for thought, Thanks!
    A useful reference - thanks for the effort.
    Total Kms traveled was just over 1500. And for a 20 year old bike, I think that's a bit of an achievement, considering she never missed a beat!
    When you are moving forward, the effective wind (think summing of vectors of wind from vehicle speed and wind speed) is angled more from the front (in a direction that your bike is more aerodamically suited to handle).

I have pondered this a few times going over the AHB, wondering if I should slow down, or speed up for better stability.
    I had it done when the cutting was still with a blade and the rest with a laser.

The day after when I woke up, HELL my eyes were sensitive to light. I swear I was sitting with my head under my duvet and I could still see the bright sunshine outside.

The first few days I was long sighted. Apparently they over coorrect, and then as it heals, it goes a bit more shortsighted again and returns to (close to) perfect. I felt like a freaking eagle with my longsightedness. I could read licence plates hundreds of meters away! I loved it! I was almost a bt disappointed when it when back to normal...
    My whole world opened up from a relatively shorts sighted bubble to a real world.

I do howevre, recommend to any students that they complete their studies before having this done. The long nights and much reading just stuffs with your sight again.
    Great article! Blings in the post.

I do wonder though, how many secondary or even primary injuries are caused by heavy helmets wrenching spinal columns and necks?

Just going by my own commonsense, it seems to me that weight MUST play an important factor in rider safety. After all, hitting a pole/kerb at 80km/hr will cause quite abit of whiplash to the neck.

Also, the Laser super skin seems to highlight differenttypes of injuries caused by a part of the helmet getting caught against whatever ithits, and the rotation caused by this friction apperas to be major contributor to brain damage (although I am not sure what the major causes of head injury are).

It would be an interesting excercse to do some research on this.

l
    Excellent wright up. Very much enjoyed reading it.
    Good on you mate !! Rain sucks but you have experienced an awesome ride & had a great time doing it what was the total km's travelled ??
    Very good reading and should bode well with some readers. While a heavy helmet I love my N103 Ncom.
    SKYTE!
    Hey bro, good to see the good times rolling again, take care mate.
    Thanks Iain,
    A good length for my first ride I think. I doubt I will be passing you any time soon!

Greg
    I am pleased to report that teh internets was restored by 4am and only one GN mud guard was destroyed in the withdrawal rage that set in once we returned from our walk. Mallet in destructive mode = 0rSm!
    Creative writing on a biker site. You're either misplaced or brave. Either should be applauded.
    TL;DR

Nice fella........look forward to seeing both of ya out on the track!
    LOl Sym service manual, hmm does show you where the indicators are
    the rain is a bitch alright !!! What I take with me on tour now a days is a heavy duty Pvc pants & jacket ( learnt this on GC 24hr rides ) that are large enough to throw over my riding gear, have tried proper bike ones but swear Pvc is better 2 weeks & my tour begins YEAH BABY !! Look forward to your next report
    Good on you dude, sounds like you're having a ball despite the weather. Make sure you head over Paekakariki hill road on your way out if the weather is ok, the view alone is worth it not to mention the twisties! Also recommend Feilding through Rangiwahia rd to Mangaweka if you want some interesting scenery on your way back north. Alternatively Vinegar Hill SH54 but if you've spent time 'round Welly you might know this way already. Have a good rest of trip and I look forward to reading more of your adventures. Take care!