Blog Comments

Man... kudos to you all, that is an impressive effort. good riding skills and stamina. well done
    Check out www.shorai.co.nz
    Pushing? Ooh ooh - park on a hill?
    You make that all sound far to easy John.

Did my second long condition ride today . Was going to get up around 1 am but overslept till 3.30.
    Out of house just before 4 am. Headed from Kapiti to New Plymouth then thought I would head towards Taupo.
    This is where I learnt a valuable lesson when my sat nav took me up some goat track that eventually turned into a gravel road. wasted about 40 mins .
    Back on the road mt messenger and the Awakino Gorge I had never been on before that was a mint road.
    Made my way to Taupo off to Napier then home basically just under 1100kms and totally knackered god know what 1600kms is going to feel like !!
    Know exactly how you felt... good write up of a frustrating day. tks
    The world will be a much poorer place without you Mike. Good to meet you and become "platinum customers".
    Ride On !!!!
    Took the bike in for the tyre repair today after waiting to have a new Z8 on standby, just in case.

I was very lucky to get home as the hole turned out to be a 8mm slit! ....so my dog turds are most excellent.

I now have a new Z8 and the rear and another mortgage on the house. I might have to try a T30 next time.
    does BMW make airless tyres?

nice writeup KoroJ.

i have had 2 flats so far in tubed tyres, now i am on tubeless i hope that at 2 in the morning i aint fixing one.
    you made me get my tyre fix kit out and check out how it works, havent had to use it so far.
    maybe compressor needs a drop of oil. make sure electrical connections tight otherwise the smoke escapes and you stuffed
    I've put 20 odd psi into a tyre before (and compressor got too hot to hold)... looks like you need a nice solid BMW that can deliver the goods
    I use the pump regularly to ensure it's good to go when I need it. A bit of a check yesterday revealed it was still going despite the damage to the plug. Turns out the failure was due to letting it run for a minute or so (usually only putting 1-2psi in so 30 secs tops). I think the highish current draw melted the plastic in the fuse holder causing it to seep between the fuse and the contact!!! Sheesh, I used a 10A fuse and holder and it should have been 15A.

I think I need to trade down.
    Well you did heaps of conditioning... of the bike! Wiring to be fixed, tyres to be replaced and so forth

Well I guess I'll get the trusty BMW out instead to get you some pics aye?
    HI john

What a day you have had

As a thought I have a compressor I got from super cheap for $20. I stripped off all the plastic casing so just left with the motor and pump that fits easily into the tail of my bike. Have it about 5 years used it about 5 times ( always for other people)

Intend to get some KM conditioning rides done myself over the next few weeks .
    Haven't been there in a while (live in Aucjland) but I think the old man went for a hoon a few weeks back. Will ask him and let you know .
    Twisting Throttle,
    Its my inspiration to travel around NZ and abroad. Everytime i open it to plan my next trip i laugh. The writing is so witty and fun. Often i will reread the same page and chuckle. Informative and often offbeat never a dull moment.

A tragic loss. There arent many with that sort of humour. Each time i ride one of your routes i will think of you and your comments. RIDE ON.
    I'd suggest you save up the discounts and use them for the full 50L in cars, more savings in your pocket than claiming on 25L or something...
    Read His books and conversed by email, sad news. Prayers go out to his family at this difficult time
    Very sad news. Never met Mike but had several email contacts. I couldn't make my first TT2000 in 2014 after a major accident 3 weeks before the start. Advised Mike of my withdrawal and he cheerfully refunded my entry fee and gave me a t-shirt anyway. My friend managed to get his autograph for me on a copy of Twisting Throttle NZ which rounded out the 3 book set for me. Had hoped to meet Mike this year when I finally completed a TT2000 but he was incapacitated as you all know. And now he is gone. Ironic to think that after all the miles he did it was the big C that took him out. Will be sorely missed by many riders all over the world. RIP Mike. Cheers and Thanks.
    Terrible news! Thank you for your books and organising some fantastic rides Mike! You'll be missed by many of us!

Mike, your spirit lives on....I was so fortunate to buy your bike from you last December. I will treasure it and the three books I have to read at every rest stop...
    It is indeed sad and I wish to convey my thoughts and prayers to the family on this sad occasion.
    Ride on, your words and sense of humour is with me every time I sit on the saddle....
    Mark....Waihou Thumper

was a good ride in my humble opinion
Page 6 of 138 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast