• Three Strikes Protest Run, 5 May

Support the three strikes demonstration ride
    Thursday 5th May 12 noon

The government has struck out at us three times now. We will not tolerate this any longer, and it is time we showed them!

What they have done:

1) Used bikers as a smokescreen to mask the introduction of risk based levies, and massive levy increases.
    2) Attempted to justify the hike with misleading statistics and unjustified financial model changes.
    3) Ramped up roadside 'safety' checks - in reality poorly disguised rego and WOF checks - and now the introduction of demerits for unlicensed vehicles.
    What they deliberately overlook:

They tout the risk based system as being fairer for everyone, by arbitrarily creating different road user groups and charging based on the likely treatment cost. Well many of us own multiple vehicles, so appear in those groups and pay more than once. How is it fair we pay multiple levies yet are only eligible for a single treatment? How can they justify a minimum three month on hold period, when that makes it so expensive to be law abiding with infrequently ridden bikes? And to assume all drivers in each class have the same level of risk is at the very least idiotic, if not irresponsible; with the implication that safer vehicles are more important than safer drivers. The myriad of different variables needed to create a truly fair risk based system would create massive administrative overheads to process. This is a system that is not required, not wanted and moves ACC yet further away from the Woodhouse principles towards private insurance.

What we demand they do:

1) Remove the vehicle-based levies, to be replaced with a fuel-based levy collection system as a first step, ultimately returning to the Woodhouse Principles.
    2) The minimum on-hold period of three months to be removed.
    3) All political parties make their stance known about ACC: whether they are in favour of the no-fault Woodhouse system, if they agree with the move to full future funding, where they stand on risk-based levies and if they would agree to private insurers in the system.

What can you do?

Support the three strikes demonstration ride; this will take place on Thursday 5th May 12 noon. The idea is that you meet up with other protesters, ride together to the local ACC offices, then ride to the National party offices (because we all know who is really behind this crap). At both locations you will arrange yourselves to present a smokescreen of motorcycles: we’ll let them see us and hear us! There will be a letter to noisily deliver to each location stating our grievances and demands. Meeting points to be announced when finalised.

Currently we have ride coordinators for Auckland, Wellington and Tauranga if you would like to organise one in your region let us know!
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Three Strikes Protest Run, 5 May started by MAG-NZ Inc View original post
    Comments 273 Comments
      Maha -
      Quote Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket View Post
      Your handbag looks like a banjo??
      Stoney has enough fingers to play dueling bango's.........solo.
      Waxxa -
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG-NZ Inc View Post
      What they have done:

1) Used bikers as a smokescreen to mask the introduction of risk based levies, and massive levy increases.
      2) Attempted to justify the hike with misleading statistics and unjustified financial model changes.
      3) Ramped up roadside 'safety' checks - in reality poorly disguised rego and WOF checks - and now the introduction of demerits for unlicensed vehicles.
      What they deliberately overlook:

What we demand they do:

1) Remove the vehicle-based levies, to be replaced with a fuel-based levy collection system as a first step, ultimately returning to the Woodhouse Principles.
      2) The minimum on-hold period of three months to be removed.
      3) All political parties make their stance known about ACC: whether they are in favour of the no-fault Woodhouse system, if they agree with the move to full future funding, where they stand on risk-based levies and if they would agree to private insurers in the system.
      There is too much on the agenda to accomplish anything here!

What is the 'fight'? ACC? then protest about that!

fines, demerit points...these measures can be put into effect at any time to 'control' our behaviour...but you will never win against these.

So, what is your protest ultimately about?
      Maha -
      Pointless making a noise outside an ACC office/building, would have the same effect as badgering forecourt attendants because of the price of fuel...nah fuck all that shit, go straight to the top. And you wont have any luck at John Key's office, tried that once before, the cops were called (they were very nice about it all) but the office lady wouldn't even open the door. Was such a lovely day too, what a waste.
      Str8 Jacket -
      Quote Originally Posted by Waxxa View Post

fines, demerit points...these measures can be put into effect at any time to 'control' our behaviour...but you will never win against these.

I agree and I asked this question (in a less roundabout kind of way) quite early on in the thread. Still waiting for a response...
      bogan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Waxxa View Post

Ultimately it's about the ACC levies, the increases were unjustified, paying multiple times for multiple vehicles is bollocks, the other bits all relate back to that, why not have a go from a number of different angles? I don't think that is too much on the agenda.

There are still plenty of opportunities to try other approaches, and it certainly won't hurt to turn up to this one anyway.
      StoneY -
      Quote Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket View Post
      Your handbag looks like a banjo??
      nah my Banjo looks like a handbag (Steve left it at my place a while back)

Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
      Stoney has enough fingers to play dueling bango's.........solo.

Dang boy, you sure got a purty mouth...................

While I support the protest, (as I do all protests against these issues) I agree with the point that its too many issue's in one event to get a solid message accross :/
      Takes the focus away

Again, I say make it about the demerits, and the surrendering plates if you want any chance of wider public support

ACC's been done to death and they didnt listen to 9,500 of us in '09.... well, not like we wanted them to. They still hiked it up
      Maha -
      Quote Originally Posted by StoneY View Post
      ACC's been done to death and they didnt listen to 9,500 of us in '09.... well, not like we wanted them to. They still hiked it up
      I for one repeated that so many times while on the MAG committee but it always feel on deaf ears. Time and effort would be much better spent on other issues, current issues? ACC levy shit is done and dusted and the laugh-o-meter on the topic is at an all time high. The T Shirts could now be changed from Whos Next to Who Cares.
      Gearup -
      All the infighting etc would make the politicians happy.

MAG has shown some leadership, and good on them, but where to from here?
      Spearfish -
      at least 10 characters.
      Hitcher -
      Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
      Ultimately it's about the ACC levies, the increases were unjustified, paying multiple times for multiple vehicles is bollocks, the other bits all relate back to that, why not have a go from a number of different angles? I don't think that is too much on the agenda.
      Practice your seven-second sound bite for the rare opportunity you may get to do a TV interview and you should soon understand what "too much on the agenda" means.

This is the world of Twitter. If you can't say something in 140 characters it can't be said.
      BoristheBiter -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
      Practice your seven-second sound bite for the rare opportunity you may get to do a TV interview and you should soon understand what "too much on the agenda" means.

This is the world of Twitter. If you can't say something in 140 characters it can't be said.
      That's a lot of emoticons.
      flyingcrocodile46 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Spearfish View Post
      Are bikers getting just a little paranoid or developing a persecution complex?

Are bikers inadvertently aligning themselves with the lesser socially responsible element of NZ road users?
      That's how I see it. The approach being promoted (as presented in the announcement) doesn't engender support. It gives the appearance that supporters are a bunch of whiney arses that can't present a credible argument to justify all the pouting. Stoney was right when he inferred that the waters are muddied when tackling too many issues at once.

There is only one aspect of the debate that I see as worthy of my time and effort to protest (for a multitude of reasons) and that is the grossly unfair double,triple/quadruple dipping by way of applying levies on multiple vehicles (bikes or cars).

If potential supporters disagree with one or more of many issues that are promoted as being protested then they are unlikely to provide support by attending the one or two issues that actually warrant all the fuss.

User pays, higher risk = higher premium. No point in crying about it. HTFU

My 2 cents.
      Hitcher -
      "Protest rides" have been done to death too. For many they're just another poker run. Get a patch, go to the pub and have a beer.
      Muppet -
      I don't mind demerits for rego, because I'm sick of the crims who drive without rego's. They don't pay fines so they need a pro-active response ie: no reg you get demerits; 100 demerits you lose your licence; drive without a licence you get forbiiden to do so; drive while forbidden you lose your car-simple. What I don't agree with is demerits for rego when traffic light offences carry none! Stop and Give Way sign offenes have 20 demerit points. Even not displaying an "L" plate gets you 25, 5 more than a mobile phone ticket.
      skid -
      Forget the 3 month on hold period, continuous licencing has to go full stop. It's unfair and has no justification what so ever.

If I choose not to take my bike on the road for a period I should not have to pay the reg as I am not using it on the road.
      Pixie -
      Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post
      When are some of you going to realise that driving in NZ is not a right.
      As in most countries that derive their laws from English law,every New Zealander has the right to use the Queen's highway,unimpeded.
      Pixie -
      Quote Originally Posted by flyingcrocodile46 View Post
      That's how I see it. The approach being promoted (as presented in the announcement) doesn't engender support. It gives the appearance that supporters are a bunch of whiney arses that can't present a credible argument to justify all the pouting. Stoney was right when he inferred that the waters are muddied when tackling too many issues at once.

There is only one aspect of the debate that I see as worthy of my time and effort to protest (for a multitude of reasons) and that is the grossly unfair double,triple/quadruple dipping by way of applying levies on multiple vehicles (bikes or cars).

If potential supporters disagree with one or more of many issues that are promoted as being protested then they are unlikely to provide support by attending the one or two issues that actually warrant all the fuss.

User pays, higher risk = higher premium. No point in crying about it. HTFU

My 2 cents.
      If you want to see whiney arses,go to KB where you'll find plenty that'll give you every reason to not stand up for themselves so they can rationalise their gutless attitudes
      Bald Eagle -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
      As in most countries that derive their laws from English law,every New Zealander has the right to use the Queen's highway,unimpeded.
      .. and the Queens Highwaymen have the right to collect taxes unimpeded.
      BoristheBiter -
      yep, but to drive on it is going to cost you money.
      flyingcrocodile46 -
      If you want to see whiney arses,go to KB where you'll find plenty that'll give you every reason to not stand up for themselves so they can rationalise their gutless attitudes
      Are you sure you aren't confusing them with people who have made a conscious decision that they are not sheep to be manipulated by barking dogs?

Isn't it wonderfully convenient that people who openly voice their disagreement with the stance of the ignorant, are adjudged by the ignorant as too scared to speak their mind. Not it ain't a question, it's an observation of facts.