• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: F5 Dave Today, 19:09 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: pritch Today, 21:25 Go to last post
    dangerous

older riders surviving badly

Thread Starter: dangerous

... this has been on my mind a bit of late, more so the last week with the 2nd funeral of a friend on Saturday, earlier in the year was a very dear friend at 49yrs old, hers was avery freak acco... last week a van turned in front of a friend... 48yrs... Now Im 50 and I know I have passed my "best...

Last Post By: SPman Today, 15:59 Go to last post
    SaferRides

Unopened brake fluid shelf life?

Thread Starter: SaferRides

Pretty much what the thread title says. There is a variety of opinions for opened containers, but little info on how long you should keep unopened fluid. I have some that was made in 10/2017 and am hesitant to use it.

Last Post By: SaferRides Today, 06:31 Go to last post
    rastuscat

Psychology of road safety

Thread Starter: rastuscat

For those who have too much time on their hands. Interesting thoughts on road safety. And the arguments as to why driver education isn't the golden egg it's made out to be. Pete

Last Post By: jellywrestler Today, 20:31 Go to last post
  • Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists.

Hi All,

The Institute of Advanced Motorists are offering free observed rides or drives to anyone who would like to know more about the IAM and 'Roadcraft' System of vehicle control Based on the UK Police Driving System. This is proven around the world to reduce risk when driving making those who use it safer drivers/riders.

You can go out with a trained observer for a ride or drive for about an hour and get constructive feedback on ways you may be able to improve your riding or driving. This is informal and not any kind of test!

Meet us at Hampton Motorcycles at 20 Carmen Road from 9am to 12 noon for a coffee, chat and / or a drive/ride on Saturday 26th January.

If you want to ensure an observed run then contact us back on this email address canterburyiam@gmail.com asap

regards
    Duncan Seed
    Chairman IAM Canterbury
    021 734 484
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists. started by onearmedbandit View original post
    Comments 17 Comments
      imdying -
      Sounds like an awesome way to spend a day.
      Maki -
      I already know I ride like a moron, no need to observe it.
      p.dath -
      What a bummer. When I initially read this I saw "Hampton" and thought you were meeting at Hampton Downs, not in Christchurch.
      Blackbird -
      Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
      What a bummer. When I initially read this I saw "Hampton" and thought you were meeting at Hampton Downs, not in Christchurch.
      There's a great IAM group in Auckland!
      kforbes -
      Hi, Anything in Wellington?
      Bald Eagle -
      Quote Originally Posted by kforbes View Post
      Hi, Anything in Wellington?
      Poor response in Wgtn, registered on their website early December still waiting for any sort of response/comms.
      Blackbird -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
      Poor response in Wgtn, registered on their website early December still waiting for any sort of response/comms.
      Andrew and Lynne Templeton are the IAM Examiners in Wellington and there are a handful of members from that area but with their Roadsafe motorcycle training business, I'm not sure at present how active they are in IAM. Guess you could ring them directly. Canterbury and Auckland regions are extremely active. I travel from Coromandel to Auckland for their month-end training rides and to mentor members at other times. A great bunch of people.
      HenryDorsetCase -
      What does "Advanced" mean in this context? serious question.
      Blackbird -
      In this context, there's a difference between an "experienced" rider who may have spent many years riding, but perpetuates the same bad habits (me, until I joined IAM ). An advanced rider is one who is taught to a system and we're talking about advanced roadcraft, not track-based training. IAM was founded in the UK and uses the UK Police training system as its basis with formal measuring of ability (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-R.../dp/011341143X).

There's obviously a lot more involved with how it works, but this is your short answer! It's not everyone's cup of tea (pretty hard, but there again, anything worthwhile is) but I joined to safely extend my riding career and get rid of my ingrained faults (I'm now 65), but we have the full spectrum of ages represented. It's had a huge impact on my riding. The on-going nature of it prevents a slide in standards, which is bound to happen in due course with a one-off training event.
      HenryDorsetCase -
      interesting. I am not sure if I want my formal (in)ability on a bike tested......... besides I have been riding for YEARS, I must be a good rider, right?

not really
      Blackbird -
      Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
      interesting. I am not sure if I want my formal (in)ability on a bike tested......... besides I have been riding for YEARS, I must be a good rider, right?

not really
      Hahahaha - you sound just like I did 20 months ago The first assessment caused major ego damage but that was because of my shame - the examiner was tremendously supportive. However, it showed me enough to want to continue and get progressively better.
      HenryDorsetCase -
      I will try and schedule a follow up: Saturdays are bad for me so I couldnt attend this saturday's one (though I did sneak over to Avon City to pay for my Dave Moss thing).

Cheers for the headsup.
      Blackbird -
      Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
      I will try and schedule a follow up: Saturdays are bad for me so I couldnt attend this saturday's one (though I did sneak over to Avon City to pay for my Dave Moss thing).

Cheers for the headsup.
      Not an issue - will send you a PM shortly.
      p.dath -
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
      There's a great IAM group in Auckland!
      I went along the Sunday just gone to have a look (in Auckland). What a great turn out. It looks great to me.
      Blackbird -
      Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
      I went along the Sunday just gone to have a look (in Auckland). What a great turn out. It looks great to me.
      Ha - got it now! Philip on the Movistar.

Sorry we didn't have the opportunity to talk for longer

Geoff
      p.dath -
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
      Ha - got it now! Philip on the Movistar.
      That's me! I hope to be able to come along more often. I just have to juggle a few family commitments, and be extra nice to my wife.
      avgas -
      Most bins wins?