• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: F5 Dave Yesterday, 19:09 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: pritch Yesterday, 21:25 Go to last post
    dangerous

older riders surviving badly

Thread Starter: dangerous

... this has been on my mind a bit of late, more so the last week with the 2nd funeral of a friend on Saturday, earlier in the year was a very dear friend at 49yrs old, hers was avery freak acco... last week a van turned in front of a friend... 48yrs... Now Im 50 and I know I have passed my "best...

Last Post By: SPman Yesterday, 15:59 Go to last post
    SaferRides

Unopened brake fluid shelf life?

Thread Starter: SaferRides

Pretty much what the thread title says. There is a variety of opinions for opened containers, but little info on how long you should keep unopened fluid. I have some that was made in 10/2017 and am hesitant to use it.

Last Post By: SaferRides Yesterday, 06:31 Go to last post
    rastuscat

Psychology of road safety

Thread Starter: rastuscat

For those who have too much time on their hands. Interesting thoughts on road safety. And the arguments as to why driver education isn't the golden egg it's made out to be. Pete

Last Post By: jellywrestler Yesterday, 20:31 Go to last post
  • IAM Free Observed Rides Chch

Hi All,

Following on the heels of our last successful meet, the Institute of Advanced Motorists are offering further free observed rides or drives to anyone who would like to know more about the IAM and 'Roadcraft' System of vehicle control Based on the UK Police Driving System. This is proven around the world to reduce risk when driving making those who use it safer drivers/riders.

You can go out with a trained observer for a ride or drive for about an hour and get constructive feedback on ways you may be able to improve your riding or driving. This is informal and not any kind of test!

Meet us at Coffee Culture at the Beckenham shops at 140 Columbo Street Chch from 9am to 12 noon for a coffee, chat and / or a drive/ride on Sunday 3rd March.

If you want to ensure an observed run then contact us back on this email address canterburyiam@gmail.com asap

Regards
    Duncan Seed
    Chairman IAM Canterbury
    021 734 484
    This article was originally published in forum thread: IAM Free Observed Rides Chch started by stormerUK View original post
    Comments 21 Comments
      Subike -
      Pity it is that weekend Duncan
      Most of the riders who might benefit from this will be at the March Hare Rally that weekend.
      Mushu -
      Will you be holding any future rides?

Whats your opinion on bigger bikes for those without the appropriate license, I am on my 6L and ride an R6 (I also have a DR650 as a legal bike but feel I would stand to learn more on the R6) but would like some input from some qualified riders.

Sent from my XT535 using Tapatalk 2
      stormerUK -
      Yes will be Mushu...
      Mushu -
      Quote Originally Posted by stormerUK View Post
      Yes will be Mushu...
      Good to hear, any further information?

Blackbird -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mushu View Post
      Will you be holding any future rides?

Whats your opinion on bigger bikes for those without the appropriate license, I am on my 6L and ride an R6 (I also have a DR650 as a legal bike but feel I would stand to learn more on the R6) but would like some input from some qualified riders.

Admire your honesty but I think you'll get sent home if you turn up on an R6 with a 6L! It puts the Observer (as well as you) in an untenable position. The same would apply to no rego or warrant. At a recent Auckland IAM meeting, a rider who wanted to be assessed turned up with no rego. Not a good look and he didn't ride.

BTW, one of the guys I mentor has a DR650 and it's no disadvantage whatsoever.
      bosslady -
      Not that I'm coming to Chch or anything but do you do this for newbies? just curious cause the Auckland IAM doesn't let green riders along.
      Blackbird -
      Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
      Not that I'm coming to Chch or anything but do you do this for newbies? just curious cause the Auckland IAM doesn't let green riders along.
      I'm not aware whether this is a formal assessment or simply a local Canterbury initiative to raise interest in good riding techniques.
      Mushu -
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
      Admire your honesty but I think you'll get sent home if you turn up on an R6 with a 6L! It puts the Observer (as well as you) in an untenable position. The same would apply to no rego or warrant. At a recent Auckland IAM meeting, a rider who wanted to be assessed turned up with no rego. Not a good look and he didn't ride.

BTW, one of the guys I mentor has a DR650 and it's no disadvantage whatsoever.
      I figured that would be the case but I thought I'd try my luck as they're two very different machines and due to the the fact I ride the DR more because of the legal aspect combined with the off-road experience I had before getting my license I feel I would benefit more from this kind of thing on the R6 and as blackbird posted above, I'm really not sure whether this is 'official' or just experienced riders willing to pass on some of their knowledge to newer riders, although I am still interested in doing one of these rides on the DR which is why I mentioned it in the first place (both my bikes are warranted, registered and well maintained)

stormerUK -
      No sorry Bosslady but the IAM (Institute for ADVANCED Motorists/Motorcyclists) is all about taking already full licence peeps up to a higher level of safe riding......
      2DriveSafe -
      So firstly to clarify the original post has my name at the bottom for contact as I currently am Canterbury IAM chairman volunteering my time along with every member to help and encourage fully licenced road users ( Motorcycle, car and truck) to continue their driving education after they have progressed through the system. One of our members posted on my behalf as I can't and don't want to do everything.

IAM looks to promote safer road use through its "Skills for Life" ongoing mentoring programme working towards the advanced Driving/ riding test. We are a non profit making charity.

To do what we do we have certain rules to uphold road safety. One is that if someone wants to go out with one of our people then that someone needs to be riding / driving a road worthy machine that meets all legal requirements. They must hold a licence to legally ride/ drive said vehicle.

IAM is not a commercial driving/riding school (though some of our members, observers and examiners are NZTA qualified instructors). As a charity we have always had the requirement of a full licence and some experience to become an associate member .

Someone who has progressed through the NZ graduated licencing system would hopefully had some training from a professional instructor at their learner ( where u learn) and restricted ( where u are restricted when and what u ride) before taking the relevant licence tests. During those phases a rider would hopefully get to grips with fundamental aspects of riding or driving.

IAM can then take that rider over a period of ongoing mentoring to another level of safety and enjoyment in their road riding.

The last thing we want is to take someone out who is riding illegally (which has been admitted to on here) and then have something go wrong . It would not I'm sure you would agree be very responsible!

So to reiterate we welcome any fully licenced rider or driver on /in a road legal vehicle to come along and discuss and sample our "skills for life" programme over a coffee and short run followed by some constructive feedback based on 'roadcraft system'.

If u don't like to be told anything good or bad about your performance then IAM is probably not for you. We are not know it alls and are not elitist, we are however volunteers who have ourselves undergone the same mentoring, changed our thoughts and habits to become safe and fun loving road users, passed the advanced tests then decided to give back of our time and the experiences we have learned

I know on this forum that everyone has their opinions, however IAM is out to help those we can within the boundaries of our charity charter.

We volunteer our time to help those we can and who want our help. Please take it or leave it but don't be offended by it.

Next 'taster' opportunity is this sunday 10am-12noon coffee culture , columbo st. Beckenham look for the flags by the car park.

Unfortunately I wont be there as I have a munted back :-(

Kind regards
      D
      Mushu -
      Quote Originally Posted by 2DriveSafe View Post
      The last thing we want is to take someone out who is riding illegally (which has been admitted to on here) and then have something go wrong . It would not I'm sure you would agree be very responsible!
      The person you are referring to is me, I would like to point out that while I would like direction in my riding on the R6 (which I am completely capable of riding) I fully disclosed my level of license and that I also have a legal bike (DR650) which I would also be willing to ride for the assessment (my preference being the R6 but willing to use the other for legal reasons). My problem was with the fact you never offered the information that you must have a full license to be assessed until the last couple of days (this includes on your website) as I was looking forward to free training at what I assumed would be of a pretty high level and with the assumption you would train those that need it (less experienced riders) you can imagine my disappointment. As I also said I no longer want your training (due to having to wait around for a simple reply and other factors) and am happy to get my own hands on the publications used as the basis for your course and seek training with a well known accredited instructor.

stormerUK -
      Mushu,
      I am sorry for any inconvenience you have had to suffer during your delayed response. You appear to have the want to improve your safe riding on two wheels, for that I wish you well and many k's of safe riding. Any mindset that motivates a rider to want to improve his/her safety on the road has to be the correct one. My failing on understanding your predicament is down simply to my lacking of NZ terminology, time will correct that. The IAM Observers give their time on a voluntary basis to "put back in" what they have been lucky to have gleaned from others. The payback to them is not monetary but the knowledge that they have improved the safety level of someones son, father or husband, daughter, mother or wife............
      bosslady -
      I think part of what mushu is getting at, and I may be wrong is possibly the perception of IAM being the ambulance at the bottom of the hill. This is not a criticism, this is a voluntary org which a lot of people clearly hold in high regard. But it's frustrating for people like myself who want to learn the right things from the get go, not half way down the track and then have to unlearn bad habits. JMTCW. Like I said, not a criticism ..
      2DriveSafe -
      Hey Mushu, I was trying to make this as clear as i could and didnt realise you had waited so long for an answer - apologies extended.

As previously mentioned, we all do what we do voluntarily and whilst everyones best intention is to help it doesnt always work out. Eg i cannot attend tomorrow as i have this stupid munted back. Which is also the only reason I have time right now to be on here doing this. Another eg is the delayed response.

You are however quite right it was not originally mentioned and should of been.Also thanks for pointing out about the national website . we can pass that info back to national .

Anyone can get hold of the ' roadcraft' books and we can gladly sell u a copy at cost (we sell them to inform not for profit).

The skills for life programme is just that a programme not a 1 off course. It's an opportunity to work your way through 'roadcraft' alongside and being encouraged and cheered on by someone who already has and still does ride that way. For some this may take a few months for others it could be year or more of regular sessions with a mentor( we call them assessors, an assessor has then undergone further training to ride along with someone and give them feedback).

We would be pleased to see you at one of our meeting times.

Here's hoping you keep safe and shiny side up.

P.s. i hate communicating this way as so much can easily be interpreted in an unbecoming way. That is why we put out the invitation , to avoid confusion and see that we are real people with a genuine passion to help others be safe on our roads.
      Mushu -
      Quote Originally Posted by 2DriveSafe View Post
      Hey Mushu, I was trying to make this as clear as i could and didnt realise you had waited so long for an answer - apologies extended.

As previously mentioned, we all do what we do voluntarily and whilst everyones best intention is to help it doesnt always work out. Eg i cannot attend tomorrow as i have this stupid munted back. Which is also the only reason I have time right now to be on here doing this. Another eg is the delayed response.

You are however quite right it was not originally mentioned and should of been.Also thanks for pointing out about the national website . we can pass that info back to national .

Anyone can get hold of the ' roadcraft' books and we can gladly sell u a copy at cost (we sell them to inform not for profit).

The skills for life programme is just that a programme not a 1 off course. It's an opportunity to work your way through 'roadcraft' alongside and being encouraged and cheered on by someone who already has and still does ride that way. For some this may take a few months for others it could be year or more of regular sessions with a mentor( we call them assessors, an assessor has then undergone further training to ride along with someone and give them feedback).

We would be pleased to see you at one of our meeting times.

Here's hoping you keep safe and shiny side up.

P.s. i hate communicating this way as so much can easily be interpreted in an unbecoming way. That is why we put out the invitation , to avoid confusion and see that we are real people with a genuine passion to help others be safe on our roads.
      I would be happy to purchase a copy of the manual as I am sure there is plenty of good info in there, hence my wanting to participate in the assessment, can you please PM me the price and some details, perhaps your phone number so I can call to organize pickup of the manual.

BMWST? -
      I think part of what mushu is getting at, and I may be wrong is possibly the perception of IAM being the ambulance at the bottom of the hill. This is not a criticism, this is a voluntary org which a lot of people clearly hold in high regard. But it's frustrating for people like myself who want to learn the right things from the get go, not half way down the track and then have to unlearn bad habits. JMTCW. Like I said, not a criticism ..

there are other courses more appropriate for your requirements.You dont jump straight into 3rd levels studies when you are a 1st year student...IAM stands for institute of advanced motorists
      bosslady -
      Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
      there are other courses more appropriate for your requirements.You dont jump straight into 3rd levels studies when you are a 1st year student...IAM stands for institute of advanced motorists
      Yup expensive courses, hundreds of dollars, that only last one day. Any reasonable person would realise you can't go from zero to hero but what I said up above, still stands.
      BMWST? -
      Yup expensive courses, hundreds of dollars, that only last one day. Any reasonable person would realise you can't go from zero to hero but what I said up above, still stands.
      Yes fair enough the original post does not state any "conditions".
      Ratti -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mushu View Post
      My problem was with the fact you never offered the information that you must have a full license to be assessed until the last couple of days (this includes on your website) as I was looking forward to free training at what I assumed would be of a pretty high level and with the assumption you would train those that need it (less experienced riders) you can imagine my disappointment. As I also said I no longer want your training (due to having to wait around for a simple reply and other factors) and am happy to get my own hands on the publications used as the basis for your course and seek training with a well known accredited instructor.

Actually, what these folk do is NOT TRAINING. They demonstrate a way of riding, tell you how you might like to change your way of riding and leave you to make the choice. What you want is INSTRUCTION, and you can get that from "a well known accredited instructor" for which time and experience you will have to , rightly imho, pay your hard earned dollars. The two things are very different, and I suspect you will not be able to take the rather extensive correction the VOLUNTEERS will be offering.

just saying
      Mushu -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ratti View Post
      Actually, what these folk do is NOT TRAINING. They demonstrate a way of riding, tell you how you might like to change your way of riding and leave you to make the choice. What you want is INSTRUCTION, and you can get that from "a well known accredited instructor" for which time and experience you will have to , rightly imho, pay your hard earned dollars. The two things are very different, and I suspect you will not be able to take the rather extensive correction the VOLUNTEERS will be offering.

just saying
      I was looking for instruction in roadcraft more so than actual riding technique and I thought a bit of free critiquing wouldn't go amiss, I have since meet with Duncan who was great, got me a copy of the police riders handbook (from which their course is based) and offered to follow me on a quick ride to give me a few pointers, which is pretty much exactly what I was after. I'm currently reading and practicing the book before I take him up on his offer of that ride.