• Most Active Threads

    TZ350

    ESE's works engine tuner

    Thread Starter: TZ350

    . This is Thomas a Vietnamese race mechanic, you know that place where they have all those hot 50's and 125's are big bikes. Thomas, ESE's Race Team's Tuner is fettling number 9. adjusting the port timing for Taupo. Its hard to see but he has taped a degree wheel to the magneto flywheel...

    Last Post By: jonny quest Today, 08:55 Go to last post
    Rcktfsh

    Optimistic sellers

    Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

    This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

    Last Post By: HenryDorsetCase Today, 08:55 Go to last post
    cotswold

    Race chassis

    Thread Starter: cotswold

    I just thought I would post these pictures of a couple of bikes I raced back when I was faster. The Waddon chassis was very basic but worked very well and I think would make a fantastic bucket frame. It was light and the bike handled well, the one I had was bought from Ian Young who had finished...

    Last Post By: Manu24 Yesterday, 22:45 Go to last post
    geoffm

    Lotsa manuals online

    Thread Starter: geoffm

    Some workshop manual links which may be of use. By no means exhaustive - I really need to have a tidy and sort out of the bookmarks! I also have the K1100RS scan on the archives, and (somewhere) TZ350 and TZ750 ones - just in case I see one in a skip somewhere one day... If anyone has a GSXR400...

    Last Post By: puddlehopper2 Today, 05:15 Go to last post
    carver

    The hand-me-down thread

    Thread Starter: carver

    Ok, this is the thread where if you have old bike gear lying around, you can donate it so someone who can use it on here, some who is a beginner or a student. I have a pair of revit monster gloves, pretty worn, but they are ok for around town stuff. pm me for details

    Last Post By: awa355 Yesterday, 11:53 Go to last post
    speights_bud

    MotoGP 2017

    Thread Starter: speights_bud

    2017 season starting soon, KTM entering MotoGP, Lorenzo to Ducati and Vinales to Yamaha. Should be another cracker season. Provisional 2017 Entry list: http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2016/11/09/2017-motogp-provisional-entry-list/215493 Also, by participating in this thread you swear...

    Last Post By: Crasherfromwayback Yesterday, 21:48 Go to last post
    5ive

    Why are some truck drivers so angry? A little road rage this morning...

    Thread Starter: 5ive

    I've had a few cars try and block me on the on-ramps, and Bogan Westies on the North Western Motorway, but never a truck, and never once on the Southern Motorway. As I approached, everything seemed fine, and the truck was in the middle of the lane. Then as I passed, I thought that maybe...

    Last Post By: Akzle Yesterday, 20:21 Go to last post
    rastuscat

    Your Thoughts On This Story

    Thread Starter: rastuscat

    http://www.tenone.police.govt.nz/tenone/February2017News3.htm

    Last Post By: rastuscat Yesterday, 21:14 Go to last post
    SuperRetard

    Will Standing on Pegs earn me a fine in town?

    Thread Starter: SuperRetard

    Hi Guys, I have a BMWF800 which is obviously a suitable bike for standing on the pegs. I recently was returning from Duedin to Nelson on a long urgent ride with little in the way of stopping. Through towns in 50kmph areas I was standing on the pegs to rest my ample, but not bike conditioned...

    Last Post By: Old Steve Today, 08:07 Go to last post
    Black Knight

    BOTS Paeroa 2017

    Thread Starter: Black Knight

    The forecast for Paeroa looks a bit dickey-depending of course on your source of the forecast-This recent Easterly weather pattern is likely to cause some problems for several days.At best it looks like the odd light shower for Sunday,would this be enough to cancel the meeting?-I ask as I have a...

    Last Post By: Bass Today, 08:55 Go to last post
  • IAM free observed rides, Christchurch

    Hi All,

    Following on the heels of our series of successful meet ups, the Institute of Advanced Motorists are offering further free observed rides or drives to anyone who would like to know more about the IAM and 'Roadcraft' System of vehicle control Based on the UK Police Driving System. This is proven around the world to reduce risk when driving making those who use it safer drivers/riders.

    You can go out with a trained observer for a ride or drive for about 30-40 minutes and get constructive feedback on ways you may be able to improve your riding or driving. This is informal and not any kind of test!
    We are also available to pop along to your local club meets to give a brief overview of our methods.

    Meet us at Coffee Culture at the Beckenham shops at 140 Columbo Street Chch , or Hampton Motorcycles SH1 from 10am to 12 noon
    Sunday 28th April……..Coffee Culture
    Saturday 25th May……Hampton Motorcycles
    Sunday 30th June……..Coffee Culture
    Saturday 27th July……..Hampton Motorcycles.

    If you want to ensure an observed run then contact us back on this email address canterburyiam@gmail.com

    Please turn up in or on a road legal vehicle that you a licenced to drive/ride other wise we are sorry but we can't take you out.


    Regards
    Duncan Seed
    Chairman IAM Canterbury
    021 734 484
    This article was originally published in forum thread: IAM free observed rides, Christchurch started by stormerUK View original post
    Comments 16 Comments
    1. stormerUK's Avatar
      stormerUK -
      Just for clarity....a full driving licence is required not learner, preferably with 1-2 years experience on a full ticket.
      Please turn up in or on a road legal vehicle that you a licenced to drive/ride other wise we are sorry but we can't take you out.
    1. Mushu's Avatar
      Mushu -
      Could have replied to my questions on the previous thread rather than starting a new one.

      What is the point in that, there would be far more learner and restricted riders that would gain from this, sure some experience may be necessary but the amount of actual experience needed for a full license is far less than the experience I already have, is it not possible to get your license and not ride again until your tests? How many ride year round, or even during weekdays?
      To base experience on an arbitrary qualification is bullshit.
      I no longer want your advice for the same reason I didn't wait the required 2 years before I bought and ride a supersport (and well over 6months/10000k later I'm still alive and the bike is undamaged) I'm sure I can download the UK police roadcraft manual from PirateBay, and I'll give a proper training school a call, thanks for wasting my time waiting over a month for your reply. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...s-Christchurch)
    1. Mushu's Avatar
      Mushu -
      oops, double post
    1. SVboy's Avatar
      SVboy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mushu View Post
      Could have replied to my questions on the previous thread rather than starting a new one.

      What is the point in that, there would be far more learner and restricted riders that would gain from this, sure some experience may be necessary but the amount of actual experience needed for a full license is far less than the experience I already have, is it not possible to get your license and not ride again until your tests? How many ride year round, or even during weekdays?
      To base experience on an arbitrary qualification is bullshit.
      I no longer want your advice for the same reason I didn't wait the required 2 years before I bought and ride a supersport (and well over 6months/10000k later I'm still alive and the bike is undamaged) I'm sure I can download the UK police roadcraft manual from PirateBay, and I'll give a proper training school a call, thanks for wasting my time waiting over a month for your reply. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...s-Christchurch)
      Well there is the openminded approach that is really going to help you learn as a rider. Myself, I will be there weather permitting. Free advice from people that know, sounds like a deal to me!
    1. bikemike's Avatar
      bikemike -
      Forecast looking good, see you there.

      Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
      Well there is the openminded approach that is really going to help you learn as a rider. Myself, I will be there weather permitting. Free advice from people that know, sounds like a deal to me!
    1. SVboy's Avatar
      SVboy -
      Cant be there tomorrow after all: however my experiences with Duncan mean I will try for next time.
    1. thepom's Avatar
      thepom -
      Well worth a ride with duncan...your never too old to learn stuff...apart from mushu who obviously knows everything about riding.....
    1. Mushu's Avatar
      Mushu -
      Quote Originally Posted by thepom View Post
      Well worth a ride with duncan...your never too old to learn stuff...apart from mushu who obviously knows everything about riding.....
      I'm sorry, do you know me? Have you even read this thread? (and the other one I linked to above with the exact same subject).

      My problem was with a miscommunication with stormeruk (not Duncan) over the fact I wanted to do the training but wasn't provided the information I needed to do with license requirements and so on. I have met with Duncan and bought a copy of Police roadcraft handbook (not having a full license I can't do the free training).

      Maybe you have a comprehension problem... where in my above posts do I say anything about being too good for training, why would I have been looking at this thread, much less posting in it if I thought I was too good for training?

      Sent from my XT535 using Tapatalk 2
    1. SPman's Avatar
      SPman -
      If only they had this in Perth. Any observers over here?
    1. HenryDorsetCase's Avatar
      HenryDorsetCase -
      Doh. That must have been you guys on Sunday. I do intend to do this at some point.
    1. Blackbird's Avatar
      Blackbird -
      Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
      If only they had this in Perth. Any observers over here?
      You're not the only one in Perth asking that - I've had several people from there contact me. The answer is sorry, no IAM Australia at all. UK, NZ and Ireland are the strong ones. There are some others but no idea what they're up to. Interestingly, some of the top riding gurus in the USA are looking at it because of their generally crap rider training.
    1. HenryDorsetCase's Avatar
      HenryDorsetCase -
      Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
      You're not the only one in Perth asking that - I've had several people from there contact me. The answer is sorry, no IAM Australia at all. UK, NZ and Ireland are the strong ones. There are some others but no idea what they're up to. Interestingly, some of the top riding gurus in the USA are looking at it because of their generally crap rider training.
      interesting because if you frequent any US based motorcycle forums they rave on about getting a/doing a MSF course. And buying a GSXR1000 as a first bike..
    1. Blackbird's Avatar
      Blackbird -
      Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
      interesting because if you frequent any US based motorcycle forums they rave on about getting a/doing a MSF course. And buying a GSXR1000 as a first bike..
      Indeed they do! I have some contact with US motorcycle safety author David Hough and both he and others are scathing about MSF which is highly influenced by bike dealers and manufacturers. More to do with bums on seats than quality training and that's why David, Pat Hahn, Keith Code and others are looking at high quality roadcraft programmes. They have several working groups looking at the issue right now.
    1. stormerUK's Avatar
      stormerUK -
      Hi All,

      Following on from our series of successful meet ups, the Institute of Advanced Motorists are offering further free observed rides or drives to anyone who would like to know more about the IAM and 'Roadcraft' System of vehicle control Based on the UK Police Driving System. This is proven around the world to reduce risk when driving making those who use it safer drivers/riders.

      You can go out with a trained observer for a ride or drive for about 30-40 minutes and get constructive feedback on ways you may be able to improve your riding or driving. This is informal and not any kind of test!
      We are also available to pop along to your local club meets to give a brief overview of our methods.

      Meet us at Coffee Culture at the Beckenham shops at 140 Columbo Street Chch , or Hampton Motorcycles SH1 from 9am to 11am.
      Sunday 25th August……..Coffee Culture
      Saturday 21st September……Hampton Motorcycles
      Sunday 27th October……..Coffee Culture

      If you want to ensure an observed run then contact us back on this email address canterburyiam@gmail.com

      Please turn up in or on a road legal vehicle that you a licenced to drive/ride other wise we are sorry but we can't take you out.

      Regards
      Duncan Seed
      Chairman IAM Canterbury
      021 734 484
    1. stormerUK's Avatar
      stormerUK -
      Quote Originally Posted by stormerUK View Post
      Hi All,

      Following on from our series of successful meet ups, the Institute of Advanced Motorists are offering further free observed rides or drives to anyone who would like to know more about the IAM and 'Roadcraft' System of vehicle control Based on the UK Police Driving System. This is proven around the world to reduce risk when driving making those who use it safer drivers/riders.

      You can go out with a trained observer for a ride or drive for about 30-40 minutes and get constructive feedback on ways you may be able to improve your riding or driving. This is informal and not any kind of test!
      We are also available to pop along to your local club meets to give a brief overview of our methods.

      Meet us at Coffee Culture at the Beckenham shops at 140 Columbo Street Chch , or Hampton Motorcycles SH1 from 9am to 11am.
      Sunday 25th August……..Coffee Culture
      Saturday 21st September……Hampton Motorcycles
      Sunday 27th October……..Coffee Culture

      If you want to ensure an observed run then contact us back on this email address canterburyiam@gmail.com

      Please turn up in or on a road legal vehicle that you a licenced to drive/ride other wise we are sorry but we can't take you out.

      Regards
      Duncan Seed
      Chairman IAM Canterbury
      021 734 484
      Sunday 27th October meet at Coffee Culture will not take place and is cancelled...Observer training commitments.Sorry.
    1. stormerUK's Avatar
      stormerUK -
      Quote Originally Posted by stormerUK View Post
      Sunday 27th October meet at Coffee Culture will not take place and is cancelled...Observer training commitments.Sorry.
      Next taster date is Saturday 30th November 10.00am-12.00noon at Hampton Motorcycles.