• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: jellywrestler Today, 16:05 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: iYRe Today, 10:56 Go to last post
    R650R

A bright idea

Thread Starter: R650R

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13264235/Ministers-launch-review-drivers-dazzled-headlights-survey-reveals-nearly-nine-ten-think-bright.html

Last Post By: Gremlin Yesterday, 22:00 Go to last post
    Brian d marge

Brian d marge has retired and returned

Thread Starter: Brian d marge

Yup tis me I missed Oscar So I decided to resume the nonsense Still riding me 500 Enfield Retired from professional bike stuff, however, I do still keep in touch I was at Japan Superbikes Sunday, I have a small workshop now where I build bikes current bike is a chopper for the...

Last Post By: pete376403 Today, 07:45 Go to last post
  • North Island 1,600 -- 11 & 12 October 2014

North Island 1,600 - 11 & 12 October 2014

Are you a rider who enjoys riding long distances? Do you love riding through the night? Would you like to see some of the North Island's more obscure sealed by-ways? Enjoy the company of others afflicted by the same disease?

The you should open your calendars and mark 11 & 12 October 2014.

The North Island 1,600 is on its way!

It's not a race. It's an endurance ride, intended to capture the spirit of previous similar North Island events. Yet it's also all new, and will have it's own personality and way of getting things done.

There's more information about this event on the website www.distanceriders.org.nz

We'll need a capable non-riding team for this event to make sure everything runs smoothly, so volunteers for those roles will be highly valued.

There's a lot of work going on getting this organised.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: North Island 1,600 -- 11 & 12 October 2014 started by Hitcher View original post
    Comments 68 Comments
      Hitcher -
      See what all the fuss and excitement in Turangi this evening is all about...

http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/201...land-1600.html
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
      See what all the fuss and excitement in Turangi this evening is all about...

http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/201...land-1600.html
      stop rubbing it in Brett I'm already kicking myself that I'm unable to do the very first NI1600 even the C1KC is looking like it maybe a miss for me this year BUT I'm sure as hell NOT missing out on the TT2000 all the best for those giving it a go PS i'll be watching the lappy for updates as per James
      banditrider -
      Had a great run and the weather was perfect (except for a little rain in the Wairarapa). The guys did a great job organising the route book and all the other little things that were needed to pull things off successfully. One of the highlights for me was the run out to Ngawi as I hadn't been out there before and it was in perfect conditions. Also, after a quick top-up in Bulls I got my act together and really enjoyed the last 800km or so.

Thanks guys, I had a ball!
      GrayWolf -
      Firstly, congrats to the organisers of the event.... it was a simply fantastic ride. A couple of 'last minute' purchases helped ( Venture pack rack & 5 ltr petrol can). There was only really one 'hitch' in the whole ride, completely out of the organisers control.. the bloody eftpos/creditcard servo at Martinboro' decided to 'shit itself'. Only having a 220/230 max (out of gas) range that almost did my ride. I'd have run out somewhere near the top of the Taka's. I was fortunate one of the group I was in had a mate in Marty with a 10ltr fuel can. (thank you, Stretch & Bruce). Yup I was one of the teeny weeny tankers! (note to organisers, it hurts ya know, to be frequently reminded on the route notes you only have a teeny weeny one!)
      Weather apart from a wee rain splatter in the 'Rapa, was fantastic, not too hot, not too cold (unless 1 degree is cold for you) I've not traveled this kind of distance in one hit for many years, and I can assure anyone 1000 miles in a day in Europe is a cake walk (UK to Spain) compared. This is a true 'challenge' on NZ roads, to maintain a good average speed.
      With extra fuel (can) and more frequent stop than my group mates needed (thank you guys for your patience) the MT was a reasonable mount to achieve it on. Gel seat pad is a 'must' That big lazy motor is 'effortless' over the distance, performance was adequate but obviously when you are with some heavy duty uber tourers you may need to work sometimes. The bikes a good size for me and has a nice wide seat for a big fat arse! but, the fuel range was a 'killer' in all honesty. Plus the (errrrr they are standard mufflers occifer) 'fruity'? big V-twin sound is a tad noticeable in the still of the night on quiet roads!
      At first I thought the amount of checkpoints and required photos was a bit overkill, but on discussion after, it's actually a good idea, it DOES get you off the bike for a quick leg stretch and allows quick communication between your group. The manned checkpoints were just about 'spot on' for the distance/time on the road to see if anyone was in real difficulty, obviously experience of distance riding showed through from the organisers.
      Will/Would I do it again? Hell yes, but I would seriously need to have/use a different bike if riding in a similar group in future. The MT-01 made it a 'real challenge' and that was enough of that experience.
      Anyone who really fancies themselves as a 'distance rider' (if you consider a 4-500km ride a Sunday jaunt) look for next years event, it's given me the long distance bug again!!
      banditrider -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
      Firstly, congrats to the organisers of the event.... it was a simply fantastic ride. A couple of 'last minute' purchases helped ( Venture pack rack & 5 ltr petrol can). There was only really one 'hitch' in the whole ride, completely out of the organisers control.. the bloody eftpos/creditcard servo at Martinboro' decided to 'shit itself'. Only having a 220/230 max (out of gas) range that almost did my ride. I'd have run out somewhere near the top of the Taka's. I was fortunate one of the group I was in had a mate in Marty with a 10ltr fuel can. (thank you, Stretch & Bruce). Yup I was one of the teeny weeny tankers! (note to organisers, it hurts ya know, to be frequently reminded on the route notes you only have a teeny weeny one!)
      Weather apart from a wee rain splatter in the 'Rapa, was fantastic, not too hot, not too cold (unless 1 degree is cold for you) I've not traveled this kind of distance in one hit for many years, and I can assure anyone 1000 miles in a day in Europe is a cake walk (UK to Spain) compared. This is a true 'challenge' on NZ roads, to maintain a good average speed.
      With extra fuel (can) and more frequent stop than my group mates needed (thank you guys for your patience) the MT was a reasonable mount to achieve it on. Gel seat pad is a 'must' That big lazy motor is 'effortless' over the distance, performance was adequate but obviously when you are with some heavy duty uber tourers you may need to work sometimes. The bikes a good size for me and has a nice wide seat for a big fat arse! but, the fuel range was a 'killer' in all honesty. Plus the (errrrr they are standard mufflers occifer) 'fruity'? big V-twin sound is a tad noticeable in the still of the night on quiet roads!
      At first I thought the amount of checkpoints and required photos was a bit overkill, but on discussion after, it's actually a good idea, it DOES get you off the bike for a quick leg stretch and allows quick communication between your group. The manned checkpoints were just about 'spot on' for the distance/time on the road to see if anyone was in real difficulty, obviously experience of distance riding showed through from the organisers.
      Will/Would I do it again? Hell yes, but I would seriously need to have/use a different bike if riding in a similar group in future. The MT-01 made it a 'real challenge' and that was enough of that experience.
      Anyone who really fancies themselves as a 'distance rider' (if you consider a 4-500km ride a Sunday jaunt) look for next years event, it's given me the long distance bug again!!
      Good onya - a small tank definitely makes thing a bit more interesting. BTW: I thought she sounded fantastic!
      banditrider -
      Here's the linky to my write-up: http://banditrider.weebly.com/2014-ni1600.html
      Gremlin -
      I have no idea what you buggers are complaining about? Can't everyone do 600km on a tank?
      Wiki Drifter -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
      There was only really one 'hitch' in the whole ride, completely out of the organisers control.. the bloody eftpos/creditcard servo at Martinboro' decided to 'shit itself'. Only having a 220/230 max (out of gas) range that almost did my ride. I'd have run out somewhere near the top of the Taka's. I was fortunate one of the group I was in had a mate in Marty with a 10ltr fuel can.
      That Martinborough BP threw a spanner in the works for me also. Filled up at Ngawi using my 5 liter can with a sense of dread and was completely out of fuel just before the Brown Owl. Luckily I had enough momentum to roll into the station with a dead engine. Then I ran out fuel the second time a few hundred meters from Z Turangi, but that was due to my miscalculation.

Big thanks to the organisers, it was a fantastic ride.
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
      Here's the linky to my write-up: http://banditrider.weebly.com/2014-ni1600.html
      great write up Andrew seriously liking/considering getting a Connie for future touring
      banditrider -
      Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
      great write up Andrew seriously liking/considering getting a Connie for future touring
      Thanks! Everyone needs a Connie!
      MarkH -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
      I have no idea what you buggers are complaining about? Can't everyone do 600km on a tank?
      Hell no!
      I have to take it easy to get a measly 500kms!
      Gremlin -
      Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
      I have to take it easy to get a measly 500kms!
      Oh, if we're taking it easy, I've done 750km (with a little left)... 600km is what I can get most of the time, even getting a shifty on
      GrayWolf -
      Oh, if we're taking it easy, I've done 750km (with a little left)... 600km is what I can get most of the time, even getting a shifty on
      Sometimes, you can REALLY go off people!!!
      Shadowrider -
      [QUOTE=GrayWolf;1130780982]Firstly, congrats to the organisers of the event.... it was a simply fantastic ride. A couple of 'last minute' purchases helped ( Venture pack rack & 5 ltr petrol can). There was only really one 'hitch' in the whole ride, completely out of the organisers control.. the bloody eftpos/creditcard servo at Martinboro' decided to 'shit itself'. Only having a 220/230 max (out of gas) range that almost did my ride. I'd have run out somewhere near the top of the Taka's.

I was also a 'teeny-tanker' to some degree, as it was me & riding buddy who KoroJ tooted at in Hastings for missing Highway 50 turn-off as we shot into Omahu Caltex for gas. BUT the HUGE lifesaver for me was a 'punter' coming out of Ngawi Community Centre who chatted with us for a few mins & I jokingly said to him, "You wouldn't have 5lts of gas in your shed?", thinking he was a local. As it turned out he was part of an inter-club fishing comp, but was more than willing to help me out. Absolute lifesaver whoever he was. I paid a small premium for it but well worth it. Goes to show it still helps to carry bit of cash too eh!
      Well done team, look forward to catching up with everyone next year.
      Zapf -
      Quote Originally Posted by Wiki Drifter View Post
      That Martinborough BP threw a spanner in the works for me also. Filled up at Ngawi using my 5 liter can with a sense of dread and was completely out of fuel just before the Brown Owl. Luckily I had enough momentum to roll into the station with a dead engine. Then I ran out fuel the second time a few hundred meters from Z Turangi, but that was due to my miscalculation.

Big thanks to the organisers, it was a fantastic ride.
      Well done Wiki, its your first 1600 finish make sure you come back for more.
      awa355 -
      I have sent in an online entry for this years 1000k cruise. I also sent a 2nd email via the website asking about the timeframe over which the 1k cruise is run. I received a bbc copy to my gmail acc, so not sure if my sent email went to the distance riders website or just back to my acc. Can one of the ringleaders confirm the time allowed to do the 1000k cruise? Thank you.
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
      I have sent in an online entry for this years 1000k cruise. I also sent a 2nd email via the website asking about the timeframe over which the 1k cruise is run. I received a bbc copy to my gmail acc, so not sure if my sent email went to the distance riders website or just back to my acc. Can one of the ringleaders confirm the time allowed to do the 1000k cruise? Thank you.
      most will complete the C1KC in @ 12-13hrs although some have taken slightly longer to complete the loop, generally speaking if you stick to the speed limit & keep an eye on your breaks, re-fuelling times etc anywhere from 12-14hrs is the norm..........
      awa355 -
      most will complete the C1KC in @ 12-13hrs although some have taken slightly longer to complete the loop, generally speaking if you stick to the speed limit & keep an eye on your breaks, re-fuelling times etc anywhere from 12-14hrs is the norm..........
      Thanks, I wasn't sure whether we had a set time or not. What has been the start time on previous runs?.
      Gremlin -
      Thanks, I wasn't sure whether we had a set time or not. What has been the start time on previous runs?.
      Start time on previous runs was 0630-0700 from memory?
      KoroJ -
      I have sent in an online entry for this years 1000k cruise. I also sent a 2nd email via the website asking about the timeframe over which the 1k cruise is run. .........
      Start time on previous runs was 0630-0700 from memory?
      Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep.

Hitcher receives the correspondence and he is away at the moment so might be a delay on the response from the website approach.

11-15hrs is probably the window, but majority are in within 14hrs. Numbers will determine how the Northern start is run but they would normally get away at 0630. We try to keep the 1KC routes fairly flowy and some riders stop for big feeds, but a steady pace with minimal stops should achieve 13hours without too much stress.
  • POTM Winner

Congratulations to Southern scratcher
    Winner of Picture Of The Month
    Low res (2)
    Low res (2)
    Vote for next months winner
    Winner thread
  • Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events

• Poll Widget

LED headlamps and foglamps (Votes: 13)

1. I have no problems with others lights (Votes: 0)

2. I’m constantly blinded by bright lights and hate night driving (Votes: 2)

3. Some newer vehicles are too high intensity lighting (Votes: 5)

4. Just hate poorly adjusted lights (Votes: 8)

5. I’m too busy looking at phone to notice (Votes: 0)

6. I’ve illegally modified my lights and dont care (Votes: 0)

7. I ride around on full beam not caring that people can’t see my indicators (Votes: 0)

8. I’m a bat and just use sonar (Votes: 0)