• Most Active Threads

    TZ350

    ESE's works engine tuner

    Thread Starter: TZ350

    . This is Thomas a Vietnamese race mechanic, you know that place where they have all those hot 50's and 125's are big bikes. Thomas, ESE's Race Team's Tuner is fettling number 9. adjusting the port timing for Taupo. Its hard to see but he has taped a degree wheel to the magneto flywheel...

    Last Post By: flyonly Yesterday, 20:32 Go to last post
    Yow Ling

    The Bucket Foundry

    Thread Starter: Yow Ling

    The foundry or metal casting stuff thats been going on the the ESE thread really inspired me to get on with having a go at this stuff. If you can cast metal theres really not much you cant do. I dont think its going to be easy, most of it has been a bit of 2 steps forward 1 step back so far. Im...

    Last Post By: WilDun Yesterday, 09:19 Go to last post
    dangerous

    older riders surviving badly

    Thread Starter: dangerous

    ... this has been on my mind a bit of late, more so the last week with the 2nd funeral of a friend on Saturday, earlier in the year was a very dear friend at 49yrs old, hers was avery freak acco... last week a van turned in front of a friend... 48yrs... Now Im 50 and I know I have passed my "best...

    Last Post By: russd7 Yesterday, 19:30 Go to last post
    bkker

    Motorcycle freight companies/Getting a motorbike couriered

    Thread Starter: bkker

    What companies do a good job of transporting bikes around New Zealand? I've used Biketranz before and they were good, and looking up some old threads on here I found CycleMove, Motorcycle Transporter services, and Jeffs do them. Apparently though some people have sent it through main frieght as...

    Last Post By: Scubbo Yesterday, 09:00 Go to last post
    jellywrestler

    soemthing to do with floowing too close maybe?

    Thread Starter: jellywrestler

    not a nice scenario but one wonders how close they were following each other to kill seven riders and pillions... https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12243134

    Last Post By: dangerous Yesterday, 17:23 Go to last post
    Southern scratcher

    Ryco oil filters

    Thread Starter: Southern scratcher

    Anyone heard of any issues regarding use of Ryco oil filters in bike engines? A guy in Aussie with damage to his engine heads was told by his dealer that Kawasaki wouldn't support his warranty because the damage was due to oil starvation due to lower oil pressure from the aftermarket Ryco Z436 oil...

    Last Post By: Owl Yesterday, 05:52 Go to last post
    HEsch

    Helmet lifespan?

    Thread Starter: HEsch

    How long would you anticipate a helmet to last, sans crashes or impact? Do you replace on a time schedule (ie, every 5 years), or kms travelled (I don't know, but, maybe 25 or 50,000kms?). Or use some other form of measurement to determine a new one is needed?

    Last Post By: pritch Yesterday, 11:52 Go to last post
    rastuscat

    Brakes Locking Up

    Thread Starter: rastuscat

    Apparently brakes lock up on their own. Or at least according to the person who wrote this complaint to the local council. "There is a very dangerous amount of gravel build up on a few of the intersections on this road, I've nearly come off my motorcycle due to the brakes locking up on it. It's...

    Last Post By: BMWGSER Yesterday, 22:00 Go to last post
    Ngunguru massive

    Fxdf rear tyres

    Thread Starter: Ngunguru massive

    2009 Fat bob and eats rear tyres for breakfast had the dunlop the metzeler me880 and me888 , the metzelers only lasting a few thousand kms. Don't get me wrong I'm after performance over longevity but these are ridiculous, anyone got suggestions (other than slowing down), I'm thinking of trying the...

    Last Post By: sidecar bob Yesterday, 07:57 Go to last post
    Temporary-Kiwi

    motorcyclists to be removed from the roads ?- predictable result of zero vision plan

    Thread Starter: Temporary-Kiwi

    I've been reading miss agenters "zero vision" road safety plan, its apparent its basis is to make driving on public roads a safe place to"crash", which on its own will eventually make motorcycle riding more dangerous, leading to them banning motorcycles from the roading network - as there's no safe...

    Last Post By: Katman Yesterday, 09:17 Go to last post
  • 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

    This event is coming to you from The NZ Distance Riders and is a rebranded and expanded event from what was the C1KC (Capital 1,000Km Cruise). We have a website here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/ and Facebook page: NZ Distance Riders.

    We are now introducing a northern event out of Hamilton on the same day and that has freed us up to set routes that are more focused on the enjoying the roads on offer in either the Upper Middle or Lower Nth Island, so this year, like all good hobbits from Middle Earth, we are venturing back into the east. (More on that in the thread below)

    The 1KC is an informal ride for all riders from hardened endurance riding veterans to those barely off restricted. For North Islanders that thought the North Island 1600 might be fun but want something a bit easier first, or the Iron Butts that just want a decent daylight ride....and it's all for a good cause, Muscular Dystrophy.

    We try to choose flowy routes that are a blend of easy riding with some of our favourite wee fangs. This year's offerings should provide another pleasant wee pootle, hopefully with maybe a couple of new roads to some.

    The $20 is required at time of registration please and we have to order the badges, so these canít be guaranteed for entries received after 20/10/14. Account details will be supplied on application.

    As per previous years, Ride Instructions and a Briefing will be emailed the week before the event.


    PS: The money raised for the MDA goes towards a fund that is used to buy presents for children with muscular dystrophy. Many thanks to all those riders that have tried the ride, and if you donít want to ride, feel free to donate anyway.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise started by KoroJ View original post
    Comments 298 Comments
    1. release_the_bees's Avatar
      release_the_bees -
      Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
      At least the weather seems reasonable.


      Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
      I'll take that back. The weather is fantastic.!

      Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    1. release_the_bees's Avatar
      release_the_bees -
      I just got home. What a day! So, last week my bike went in for a 40k service. Today, it turned out that when they put the bike back together the fuel tank vent hose got pinched under the fuel tank creating a vacuum. The bike seemed to run normally, but when I stopped at the gas station, I couldn't open the filler cap due to the force of the vacuum.

      It took a bit of faffing about to get the issue resolved. The end result is that I rocked up at the start location an hour or so after everyone else had gone, so I ended up doing the event alone - I didn't see anybody at any of the checkpoints.

      Despite the initial hiccup it was a great day's riding. Nice weather and roads. The only real negative - there seemed to be an endless procession of caravans and camper vans all over the Coromandel. All up I managed 1300km of riding in 22 hours.

      One other thing of note. I nearly witnessed a very bad accident when a rental car pulled out of the National Park T junction right in front of a car that was probably doing 90-100km/h in the 70 zone. Luckily there was nobody coming the other way so the car was able to swerve onto the other side of the road. It was a pretty near miss though.



      Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    1. eldog's Avatar
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
      I just got home. What a day! So, last week my bike went in for a 40k service. Today, it turned out that when they put the bike back together the fuel tank vent hose got pinched under the fuel tank creating a vacuum. The bike seemed to run normally, but when I stopped at the gas station, I couldn't open the filler cap due to the force of the vacuum.

      It took a bit of faffing about to get the issue resolved. The end result is that I rocked up at the start location an hour or so after everyone else had gone, so I ended up doing the event alone - I didn't see anybody at any of the checkpoints.

      Despite the initial hiccup it was a great day's riding. Nice weather and roads. The only real negative - there seemed to be an endless procession of caravans and camper vans all over the Coromandel. All up I managed 1300km of riding in 22 hours.

      One other thing of note. I nearly witnessed a very bad accident when a rental car pulled out of the National Park T junction right in front of a car that was probably doing 90-100km/h in the 70 zone. Luckily there was nobody coming the other way so the car was able to swerve onto the other side of the road. It was a pretty near miss though
      Glad you got to the problem and sorted it, those things always seem to appear just when you don't need them
      You have to remember always be observant.
      I followed a driver who I wanted to pass, but they crossed the centreline so often it wasn't worth the risk.
      Lots of drivers who could have slowed down in appropriate places to let others through, but didn't. Lots of others who did.


      The GPS played up and a couple of times gave me 2 routes for the same intersection LOL
      The bike performed like clockwork.

      However, It was a fantastic day and a great ride, one of the better ones I have done, not much traffic generally which was great.
      Looking forward to next years event another year to wait
    1. insomnia01's Avatar
      insomnia01 -
      Was indeed a great day for a ride, left Eastside Tavern @0650 checked back in @1812 all up 1102km for the day & even managed a @450km ride on Sunday cause the day was still a beaut, partner was in wgtn & not due home till late evening so why not I say........ working on having a different bike for next years 1KC
    1. release_the_bees's Avatar
      release_the_bees -
      After this weekend's endeavours, the 30km ride into the office felt a whole lot quicker than it usually does!

      Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    1. banditrider's Avatar
      banditrider -
      And I failed to wear out my E-07 Dakars...

      http://banditrider.blogspot.com/2018/11/2018-1kc.html
    1. release_the_bees's Avatar
      release_the_bees -
      Out of interest, did anybody see a speed camera or a van in the Waikino Gorge on the weekend of the ride? I've just received an infringement fee for 94 in an 80 Oops.
    1. veldthui's Avatar
      veldthui -
      Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
      Out of interest, did anybody see a speed camera or a van in the Waikino Gorge on the weekend of the ride? I've just received an infringement fee for 94 in an 80 Oops.
      I saw a couple in the 100 zone and one may have got me as I was passing. The first one was south of Thames somewhere on the only bit of straight road with no double yellow. Saw him and realised it was a camera when I saw the tinted windows but was committed to the pass. Did slow a bit. Can only hope the other car was in the frame. Saw another north of Turangi but can't remember where. Definitely saw this one in time. Nothing in the mail yet but they take time sometimes.
    1. eldog's Avatar
      eldog -
      Well I had plenty of time stuck behind maybe 10 cars and a slow light truck who wouldn't pull over even when there where opportunities.
      Down to 40 in some parts or less.
      Saw at least 1 car and 2 fixed cameras.

      No hurry, when your out for a cruise and not familiar with a lot of the roads.

      Good idea doing the Coro loop early
    1. veldthui's Avatar
      veldthui -
      Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
      Out of interest, did anybody see a speed camera or a van in the Waikino Gorge on the weekend of the ride? I've just received an infringement fee for 94 in an 80 Oops.
      Well dam it. I got one from the same location and I did not see any camera there. Got me 91 in an 80. On re-checking my video there is a camera pole there tucked up in the bushes and very hard to see. It is just beside a sign. Time to update the GPS because it doesn't have this on on it.
    1. insomnia01's Avatar
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
      Out of interest, did anybody see a speed camera or a van in the Waikino Gorge on the weekend of the ride? I've just received an infringement fee for 94 in an 80 Oops.
      Quote Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
      Well dam it. I got one from the same location and I did not see any camera there. Got me 91 in an 80. On re-checking my video there is a camera pole there tucked up in the bushes and very hard to see. It is just beside a sign. Time to update the GPS because it doesn't have this on on it.
      yep me as well!! 92km in a 80km zone certainly didn't see it........
    1. Euro2018's Avatar
      Euro2018 -
      1KC 2019 is announced for 9 Nov this year.

      My first attempt in 2017 saw me failing to finish, but still achieved 850km.

      This time around I have a better bike, slightly more talent and some proper wet weather gear.

      Anyone else going to have a crack at this ?

      TT2000 is set for 28 Feb 2020, so this years 1KC will determine if I enter the TT.
    1. banditrider's Avatar
      banditrider -
      Be doing both as usual
    1. Owl's Avatar
      Owl -
      Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
      Be doing both as usual
      You distance slut you.
    1. veldthui's Avatar
      veldthui -
      Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
      Be doing both as usual
      Me too plus the NI800. Couldn't get the extra day off required for the 1600.
    1. insomnia01's Avatar
      insomnia01 -
      I'll be there with a BIG FAT ZG this time around
    1. banditrider's Avatar
      banditrider -
      Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
      I'll be there with a BIG FAT ZG this time around
      Nice...........
    1. insomnia01's Avatar
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Euro2018 View Post
      1KC 2019 is announced for 9 Nov this year.

      My first attempt in 2017 saw me failing to finish, but still achieved 850km.

      This time around I have a better bike, slightly more talent and some proper wet weather gear.

      Anyone else going to have a crack at this ?
      TT2000 is set for 28 Feb 2020, so this years 1KC will determine if I enter the TT.
      Entered PAID REady !!