• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: F5 Dave Yesterday, 19:09 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: pritch Yesterday, 21:25 Go to last post
    dangerous

older riders surviving badly

Thread Starter: dangerous

... this has been on my mind a bit of late, more so the last week with the 2nd funeral of a friend on Saturday, earlier in the year was a very dear friend at 49yrs old, hers was avery freak acco... last week a van turned in front of a friend... 48yrs... Now Im 50 and I know I have passed my "best...

Last Post By: SPman Yesterday, 15:59 Go to last post
    SaferRides

Unopened brake fluid shelf life?

Thread Starter: SaferRides

Pretty much what the thread title says. There is a variety of opinions for opened containers, but little info on how long you should keep unopened fluid. I have some that was made in 10/2017 and am hesitant to use it.

Last Post By: SaferRides Yesterday, 06:31 Go to last post
    rastuscat

Psychology of road safety

Thread Starter: rastuscat

For those who have too much time on their hands. Interesting thoughts on road safety. And the arguments as to why driver education isn't the golden egg it's made out to be. Pete

Last Post By: jellywrestler Yesterday, 20:31 Go to last post
  • 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

This event is coming to you from The NZ Distance Riders and is a rebranded and expanded event from what was the C1KC (Capital 1,000Km Cruise). We have a website here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/ and Facebook page: NZ Distance Riders.

We are now introducing a northern event out of Hamilton on the same day and that has freed us up to set routes that are more focused on the enjoying the roads on offer in either the Upper Middle or Lower Nth Island, so this year, like all good hobbits from Middle Earth, we are venturing back into the east. (More on that in the thread below)

The 1KC is an informal ride for all riders from hardened endurance riding veterans to those barely off restricted. For North Islanders that thought the North Island 1600 might be fun but want something a bit easier first, or the Iron Butts that just want a decent daylight ride....and it's all for a good cause, Muscular Dystrophy.

We try to choose flowy routes that are a blend of easy riding with some of our favourite wee fangs. This year's offerings should provide another pleasant wee pootle, hopefully with maybe a couple of new roads to some.

The $20 is required at time of registration please and we have to order the badges, so these can’t be guaranteed for entries received after 20/10/14. Account details will be supplied on application.

As per previous years, Ride Instructions and a Briefing will be emailed the week before the event.

PS: The money raised for the MDA goes towards a fund that is used to buy presents for children with muscular dystrophy. Many thanks to all those riders that have tried the ride, and if you don’t want to ride, feel free to donate anyway.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise started by KoroJ View original post
    Comments 335 Comments
      veldthui -
      I got in at 17:04 according to my GPS. It appears to think daylight savings is not here at present. I also lost the GPS signal about 40 times at various points. Software updated when I got home but no change. I think there was a satellite update and it may have upset my Garmin NAV V as I see someone else also had the same issue in Australia. Anyway it was a great ride and the road around the coast was in excellent condition. Could have done it in one fuel stop by pushing it but decided to do 3 stops for comfort. GPS apart from the time and losing signal had me finishing 17:56 when I left and arrive 18:04 so it is accurate as usual in that respect.

I Hyper-Lapsed the whole ride on my Go Pro so will upload that to youtube after a bit of editing. Useless GoPro still have not fixed their Quik software and the time shows UTC time only.

Thanks for another great ride and nice the rain held off (at least on the ride. It hammered down on the way up).
      eldog -
      Looking forward to this event,
      even if it’s just going around in circles

the route looks interesting.

So much for last years, thoughts about being more prepared than last year.
      looks like same prep for NI800, get on bike and ride

need to clean cobwebs off bike

http://www.distanceriders.org.nz
      caseye -
      Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
      Looking forward to this event,
      even if it’s just going around in circles

the route looks interesting.

So much for last years, thoughts about being more prepared than last year.
      looks like same prep for NI800, get on bike and ride

need to clean cobwebs off bike

http://www.distanceriders.org.nz
      What! you've got a bike ?????????? Out tomorroa, practice, practise.
      insomnia01 -
      paid my $$$$ 5 minutes after I got the email fairly chilled ride from what I see, 8 CP in total should be a blast
      Euro2018 -
      They're supposed to have sent out the check point list today.
      Did anyone receive it ?
      I don't have mine.
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by Euro2018 View Post
      They're supposed to have sent out the check point list today.
      Did anyone receive it ?
      I don't have mine.
      I have received mine.

they are looking for 1 person, probably you?

email them
      Euro2018 -
      I emailed the organisers on Sun, but haven't heard back.

Any chance someone here could PM the checkpoints to me please ?
      insomnia01 -
      I have received mine.

they are looking for 1 person, probably you?

email them
      D Moors is who they are looking for, uncertain if the person is departing from Hamilton or Wellington at this stage but has paid entry fee.
      Euro2018 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Euro2018 View Post
      I emailed the organisers on Sun, but haven't heard back.

Any chance someone here could PM the checkpoints to me please ?
      all sorted now. See you tomorrow morning.
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
      What! you've got a bike ?????????? Out tomorroa, practice, practise.
      About time you tried this....
      caseye -
      About time you tried this....
      Yeah, I just might, be a bit of humour.
      Damn ya!
      release_the_bees -
      Have a good ride everyone. I wish I could have made it this year. It looks like a great route.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
      eldog -
      It was a great ride.
      The weather held- well almost the whole way.

The stratford end really suited this rider and machine.

Mostly rode byself but was always given a wave by others on the ride.

The GPS mostly played the game. Although if I had more time I would have put a few more intermediate points in.

There are popup dumplings for sale on western access road, who knew? In the middle of nowhere. It wasn't on the route as the GPS thought it knew better.... lol

on my list of to do again rides
      Euro2018 -
      I completed another 1KC (my third start and second finish).

Good ride. I've never been along the Forgotten Highway so wasn't expecting gravel or the buttock clenching moment as I entered the narrow tunnel and realised a couple of things in quick succession; follow the wheel tracks not the mud between the wheel tracks and not all tunnels are lit like the motorway tunnels in Auckland, so flip up sunshade before entering tunnel.
      Nearly had 300kg of Honda blocking the tunnel, but managed to not drop it.

No cell coverage at the pub checkpoint just past the tunnel, so no navigation on my phone. Just followed someone else. Easily solved.

Arrived back into Hamilton at about 7:30pm, so improved on previous time by about 15 mins.

Not sure that it's the most pleasurable way to spend a day, but certainly a healthy sense of achievement and I get to keep the shiny badge.
      caseye -
      Course ya can boyo!

Wheres ol Eldog then???
  • Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events