• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: F5 Dave Yesterday, 19:09 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: onearmedbandit Today, 09:10 Go to last post
    dangerous

older riders surviving badly

Thread Starter: dangerous

... this has been on my mind a bit of late, more so the last week with the 2nd funeral of a friend on Saturday, earlier in the year was a very dear friend at 49yrs old, hers was avery freak acco... last week a van turned in front of a friend... 48yrs... Now Im 50 and I know I have passed my "best...

Last Post By: SPman Yesterday, 15:59 Go to last post
    rastuscat

Psychology of road safety

Thread Starter: rastuscat

For those who have too much time on their hands. Interesting thoughts on road safety. And the arguments as to why driver education isn't the golden egg it's made out to be. Pete

Last Post By: pritch Today, 09:22 Go to last post
  • 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

This event is coming to you from The NZ Distance Riders and is a rebranded and expanded event from what was the C1KC (Capital 1,000Km Cruise). We have a website here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/ and Facebook page: NZ Distance Riders.

We are now introducing a northern event out of Hamilton on the same day and that has freed us up to set routes that are more focused on the enjoying the roads on offer in either the Upper Middle or Lower Nth Island, so this year, like all good hobbits from Middle Earth, we are venturing back into the east. (More on that in the thread below)

The 1KC is an informal ride for all riders from hardened endurance riding veterans to those barely off restricted. For North Islanders that thought the North Island 1600 might be fun but want something a bit easier first, or the Iron Butts that just want a decent daylight ride....and it's all for a good cause, Muscular Dystrophy.

We try to choose flowy routes that are a blend of easy riding with some of our favourite wee fangs. This year's offerings should provide another pleasant wee pootle, hopefully with maybe a couple of new roads to some.

The $20 is required at time of registration please and we have to order the badges, so these can’t be guaranteed for entries received after 20/10/14. Account details will be supplied on application.

As per previous years, Ride Instructions and a Briefing will be emailed the week before the event.

PS: The money raised for the MDA goes towards a fund that is used to buy presents for children with muscular dystrophy. Many thanks to all those riders that have tried the ride, and if you don’t want to ride, feel free to donate anyway.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise started by KoroJ View original post
    Comments 335 Comments
      insomnia01 -
      Registered & paid Bring it on
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
      Registered & paid Bring it on
      me 2

started conditioning rides last night woohoo
      insomnia01 -
      My aim is to finish the ride this year, got to Wgtn checkpoint last year to have stator/regulator & battery fail on me first DNF for me
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
      We usually get route maps posted up from the info given, but oddly enough, I've yet to see anyone get it right.
      Route is ≈1,015km via: (* denotes digital pic required)
      Hamilton - Tauranga – Kiwi360* - Whakatane - Te Araroa - Tokomaru Bay* - Gisborne - Ormond* - Opotiki - Tane Atua - Lake Rotoehu* - Putararu - Te Kawa - Otorohanga* - Commerce Club

TANEATUA 1 word just saying John
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
      Possibly the most expensive fuel in NZ but when you need it you'll pay for it.
      There use to be fuel at Te Puia springs.
      When we did the SCRR in 2011 the servo @ Te araroa had changed to self serve Eft pos instead of pre-pay, Waihau Bay petrol was expensive the last time I was there but if you need it you will pay whatever but either of these 2 are a gamble in the sense that either A) their open or B) they have petrol. G.A.S @ Te Puia Springs, Tokomaru Bay or Tolaga Bay would be more likely if required & your range allows this
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
      started conditioning rides last night woohoo
      Going on a run Saturday, most likely the Tron to Opotiki & back leg as I need to check fuel range seeing has I haven't ridden Blue much since last years C1KC DNF episode I'm off down South Isld next month with Blue so should be well conditioned by the 7/11
      awa355 -
      My sign on name should be Moses, everywhere I rode today, (Putaruru,Tirau, Whitechapel) the waters parted in front of me. Well the black clouds did. Rained while I was inside my sisters having a cuppa, rained while inside Hickies house having a cuppa, rained at Tirau while inside having a cuppa at my mates workshop. Bloody near rained inside me trousers after all those drinks but made it to the Karapiro loo just in time.

One thing I will do with the Virago before this ride is to fabricate a back rest. I made one for the XVS650 and it made a hell of a difference. At the mo' I find I am pulling on the bars quite a bit to fight against the wind pushing on my chest. Okay for my usual rides but would would wear me out over a 12 hour ride. I'd love to get a windshield but need other things first.
      I have a small plywood tray made up to hold a 4L fuel can above the tail light. Looks tidy. The weekend of the 12/13th, I will get out and do a decent 6-700k run.
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
      One thing I will do with the Virago before this ride is to fabricate a back rest. I made one for the XVS650 and it made a hell of a difference. At the mo' I find I am pulling on the bars quite a bit to fight against the wind pushing on my chest. Okay for my usual rides but would would wear me out over a 12 hour ride. I'd love to get a windshield but need other things first.
      I have a small plywood tray made up to hold a 4L fuel can above the tail light. Looks tidy. The weekend of the 12/13th, I will get out and do a decent 6-700k run.
      Leathel has a back rest how about one like that?
      I didn't need a back rest, I shudda stopped and taken a photo at Cambridge Hall, only place worth while that night and I coulda stretched my little leggies - I paid for that decision a little later.
      I used to think the best way was to ride in a group so I could get some tips about what to take, do when to stop, what roads blah blah blah.
      Apart from riding technique and a few things on here and other web sites, almost all the things I need to know become obvious when I actually do get out and ride out of my comfort zone.
      Like what happens when you don't have any rain gear and its raining and there is hours of riding to go.
      When you are in an unfamiliar place and there's no light to show any location - all great learning curves.
      When you become hungry and there's nothing open and you don't have anything to drink or eat. Just means concentrate more on riding - zone in.

Yep I am enjoying this solo riding - taking responsibility myself and not relying on others is confidence building.
      I am planning to slowly work my way up to that distance - way harder in the dark/rain/wind/lightning and unfamiliar roads - at least I didn't get lost because I didn't know where I was.It was good fun
      yeah I know, wherever I go there I am.
      KoroJ -
      Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
      Route is ≈1,015km via: (* denotes digital pic required)
      Hamilton - Tauranga – Kiwi360* - Whakatane - Te Araroa - Tokomaru Bay* - Gisborne - Ormond* - Opotiki - Tane Atua - Lake Rotoehu* - Putararu - Te Kawa - Otorohanga* - Commerce Club

TANEATUA 1 word just saying John
      Like I said, "I've yet to see anyone get it right"
      oldguy -
      I need to get out do some riding, get some bike fitness, been a while since Ive ridden 300k's, trying to do 1000 maybe a big ask. and more so being I would be riding my Buell.
      Looks interesting though, never know put it on my watch list.
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
      I need to get out do some riding, get some bike fitness, been a while since Ive ridden 300k's, trying to do 1000 maybe a big ask. and more so being I would be riding my Buell.
      I have only done a few big rides in the past, plenty of breaks etc, so this will be a challenge for me.
      The bike is setup much better now, I am more confident in myself AND I am doing some bike fitness rides, learning about navigation, fuel, pitstops, what to(and not) take etc.

It looks to me like a reasonable challenge for every one. Me I am the slow rider- I just need to do more planning
      I cant afford to do lots of riding, but I plan to do at least 1 ride every couple of weeks to extend my 1 day range again.

Come on give it a go.
      nzspokes -
      Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
      Most I have done recently would be 300ks. Got a ride coming up with a group of 1200ishks over 3 days which should get me back into it.

Probably sort some risers for the old Bandit, not getting any younger. Try to remember to drop some compression off the rear shock as not riding 2 up much anymore.
      FJRider -
      Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
      Most I have done recently would be 300ks. Got a ride coming up with a group of 1200ishks over 3 days which should get me back into it.

Probably sort some risers for the old Bandit, not getting any younger. Try to remember to drop some compression off the rear shock as not riding 2 up much anymore.
      Going the longer distance on rides ... you only need to be thinking about two things.

1. Where you'll get your next tank of gas.

2. Everything on (or near) the road 100 metres ahead of you.

Do not think too far ahead. It does the mind in ... and you lose the plot.

300 km's is less than two tanks of gas ... even learner riders can do that in a day.
      nzspokes -
      Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
      Going the longer distance on rides ... you only need to be thinking about two things.

1. Where you'll get your next tank of gas.

2. Everything on (or near) the road 100 metres ahead of you.

Do not think too far ahead. It does the mind in ... and you lose the plot.

300 km's is less than two tanks of gas ... even learner riders can do that in a day.
      Thats 1 tank. Ive done 900 in a day but that was a couple of years back.
      yod -
      can't make it this year

but luckily, i'm doing about 800km tomorrow
      FJRider -
      Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
      Thats 1 tank. Ive done 900 in a day but that was a couple of years back.
      When you've completed the 1000 km's ... think about doing a 1000 miler. Only 2 MORE tanks of gas ...
      eldog -
      When you've completed the 1000 km's ... think about doing a 1000 miler. Only 2 MORE tanks of gas ...
      Then when you've completed the 1000 miler ... think about doing a 2000 km. Only 2 MORE tanks of gas ...
      nzspokes -
      We are on a small island. 1600ks would mean riding to many roads i know. Boring.
      haydes55 -
      Would you use a camel pack for hydration? Would one last the ride or need filling up?

Could pack a bunch of muesli bars, sandwiches and fruit in your tank bag that you can eat one handed on the road.
      FJRider -
      Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
      Then when you've completed the 1000 miler ... think about doing a 2000 km. Only 2 MORE tanks of gas ...
      I did 1800 km's in a 24 hour period once.

Quite far enough that day ...
  • Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events