• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: F5 Dave Today, 19:09 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: pritch Today, 21:25 Go to last post
    dangerous

older riders surviving badly

Thread Starter: dangerous

... this has been on my mind a bit of late, more so the last week with the 2nd funeral of a friend on Saturday, earlier in the year was a very dear friend at 49yrs old, hers was avery freak acco... last week a van turned in front of a friend... 48yrs... Now Im 50 and I know I have passed my "best...

Last Post By: SPman Today, 15:59 Go to last post
    SaferRides

Unopened brake fluid shelf life?

Thread Starter: SaferRides

Pretty much what the thread title says. There is a variety of opinions for opened containers, but little info on how long you should keep unopened fluid. I have some that was made in 10/2017 and am hesitant to use it.

Last Post By: SaferRides Today, 06:31 Go to last post
    rastuscat

Psychology of road safety

Thread Starter: rastuscat

For those who have too much time on their hands. Interesting thoughts on road safety. And the arguments as to why driver education isn't the golden egg it's made out to be. Pete

Last Post By: jellywrestler Today, 20:31 Go to last post
  • 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

This event is coming to you from The NZ Distance Riders and is a rebranded and expanded event from what was the C1KC (Capital 1,000Km Cruise). We have a website here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/ and Facebook page: NZ Distance Riders.

We are now introducing a northern event out of Hamilton on the same day and that has freed us up to set routes that are more focused on the enjoying the roads on offer in either the Upper Middle or Lower Nth Island, so this year, like all good hobbits from Middle Earth, we are venturing back into the east. (More on that in the thread below)

The 1KC is an informal ride for all riders from hardened endurance riding veterans to those barely off restricted. For North Islanders that thought the North Island 1600 might be fun but want something a bit easier first, or the Iron Butts that just want a decent daylight ride....and it's all for a good cause, Muscular Dystrophy.

We try to choose flowy routes that are a blend of easy riding with some of our favourite wee fangs. This year's offerings should provide another pleasant wee pootle, hopefully with maybe a couple of new roads to some.

The $20 is required at time of registration please and we have to order the badges, so these can’t be guaranteed for entries received after 20/10/14. Account details will be supplied on application.

As per previous years, Ride Instructions and a Briefing will be emailed the week before the event.

PS: The money raised for the MDA goes towards a fund that is used to buy presents for children with muscular dystrophy. Many thanks to all those riders that have tried the ride, and if you don’t want to ride, feel free to donate anyway.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise started by KoroJ View original post
    Comments 335 Comments
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by STJim View Post
      I sent my registration in today for this ride starting in Hamilton.I'm hoping for a really good turnout this year. It should be a great day.
      should be a cracker day Jim bikes feeling good
      STJim -
      I understand that there is about 22 registered for the Northern Start
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by STJim View Post
      I understand that there is about 22 registered for the Northern Start
      that would have to be the highest turnout so far for all the starts I've done outside of Wellywood the future of these rides starting from the Tron look good..........
      KoroJ -
      Panic Stations People: Roll-up, Roll-up! For those of you who are intending to do this ride and haven't entered or haven't paid yet, due to time frames with the badge makers, we need to get our order in tomorrow to get the badges in time for the event.

You can still enter after tomorrow but you won't be guaranteed a badge! (But as it is a fund raising ride, the $20 entry fee will still apply)

Current entries across the two rides are now heading towards 60 and I am optimistic that we could well go over 70.

Refer to the NZ Distance Riders website http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/the...e-the-1kc.html for entry forms and bank account details.
      awa355 -
      I paid last week after getting my leave confirmed, but haven't heard back as to whether my entry has been received. Hope I sent it to the right account.
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
      I paid last week after getting my leave confirmed, but haven't heard back as to whether my entry has been received. Hope I sent it to the right account.
      Well, I checked, you didn't put any money into my account, its going down faster than the Titanic.

That's mbikes for ya - always something.....

tyres, controls, lights, oil, Kickstand and fuel/gear/munchies/rego

Munchies - suggestions of what to take for rider fuel on a longer ride, or just buy a pie at the shop on the way ?????
      Gremlin -
      Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
      Munchies - suggestions of what to take for rider fuel on a longer ride, or just buy a pie at the shop on the way ?????
      Slow burn stuff is better, nuts etc. Muesli bars ok, but depends on which ones. Pie not that healthy, but sometimes, after a sub zero ride through Desert Rd it's welcome

Stay away from caffeine, energy drinks etc unless you're <2 hrs from home. They pick you up, but drop you lower than you were...
      nzspokes -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

Stay away from caffeine
      Thats just crazy talk.
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
      Slow burn stuff is better, nuts etc. Muesli bars ok, but depends on which ones. Pie not that healthy, but sometimes, after a sub zero ride through Desert Rd it's welcome

Stay away from caffeine, energy drinks etc unless you're <2 hrs from home. They pick you up, but drop you lower than you were...
      It will have to remove the Mocha/Lattes making machine off the bike..... bugger
      Toymotor -
      Should be a good experience, will be the longest Ive traveled by bike in one day. Got a South Island trip 2 weeks after that so this is like prep work Will head down from Auckland sometime Fri and stay somewhere close Fri/Sat night. Any thoughts on good cheap accommodation, or where to steer clear, or somewhere bike safe? Tudor lodge is under a hundy a night and right next door, so can park up bike and have a few drinks and a yarn at cc
      awa355 -
      1,000k hmmm! might need to pack TWO peanut butter sandwiches.
      Toymotor -
      Make that marmite and chippy sammies. Can knock out 5-600 without issue, might order a gel seat cover for the butt just in case though. If i manage this fine in good time I'll be more confident in knocking out Auckland-Picton in a day.
      awa355 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Toymotor View Post
      Make that marmite and chippy sammies. Can knock out 5-600 without issue, might order a gel seat cover for the butt just in case though. If i manage this fine in good time I'll be more confident in knocking out Auckland-Picton in a day.
      You will need decent wet weather gear for the last stretch of that ride.
      Toymotor -
      You will need decent wet weather gear for the last stretch of that ride.
      I thought about jerry-rigging a prop to the shaft drive.. but then I realized i don't have a life jacket here or enough pvc pipe fittings to make a snorkel mod.. might just have to cough up for the boat trip
      eldog -
      1,000k hmmm! might need to pack TWO peanut butter sandwiches.
      1200 for me so it will be the old peanut butter and stawberry jam for me, with a few health/museli bars thrown in and a sports drink/water for dehydration
      will be fun, planning and then riding, finishing will be
      Toymotor -
      Peanut Butter Jelly!

eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by Toymotor View Post
      Peanut Butter Jelly!
      add some chippies for that extra crunch S&V for me.

Now we have offended the Vege and Marmite bridage

Less than 2 weeks away
      awa355 -
      Spent half the morning fabricating my homemade back rest (MK111 version). Oil change next days off. Gave the tyres a decent kick yesterday, they are about the right pressure (foot hurts).
      eldog -
      Spent half the morning fabricating my homemade back rest (MK111 version). Oil change next days off. Gave the tyres a decent kick yesterday, they are about the right pressure (foot hurts).
      Did a wee pootle down country in prep for 1KC and found I have to make mods to fix pannier frame and pannier attachment - I took too much food in them.
      getting that sorted during the week.

Rest of Bike completely serviced last week, need to check tyre pressure just before I leave

Tyres were cold during a recent trip in the rain, so it was slow and cautious, not a lot of traction, the bike fishtailed up hills without much effort (which was a first for me), then when it fined up, traction and tyre temp rose and the speed increased soon had the bike behaving like a very different animal. So much better.

Tyre pressure test with left foot front, right foot rear. see if they are balanced.

Nows a good time to get the bike all checked BEFORE the last minute rush to get it sorted at the start.
      eldog -
      At least with this ride we will get to see a lot of the country in the daylight unlike the 1600

Wonder what sort of photos we have to take?
      are there some instructions of what required?
      Do we have to arrive with a memory card at the end for the officials to check?
      Just thinking do I take a camera or just use a smartphone
  • Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events