• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: F5 Dave Yesterday, 19:09 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: onearmedbandit Today, 09:10 Go to last post
    dangerous

older riders surviving badly

Thread Starter: dangerous

... this has been on my mind a bit of late, more so the last week with the 2nd funeral of a friend on Saturday, earlier in the year was a very dear friend at 49yrs old, hers was avery freak acco... last week a van turned in front of a friend... 48yrs... Now Im 50 and I know I have passed my "best...

Last Post By: SPman Yesterday, 15:59 Go to last post
    rastuscat

Psychology of road safety

Thread Starter: rastuscat

For those who have too much time on their hands. Interesting thoughts on road safety. And the arguments as to why driver education isn't the golden egg it's made out to be. Pete

Last Post By: pritch Today, 09:22 Go to last post
  • 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

This event is coming to you from The NZ Distance Riders and is a rebranded and expanded event from what was the C1KC (Capital 1,000Km Cruise). We have a website here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/ and Facebook page: NZ Distance Riders.

We are now introducing a northern event out of Hamilton on the same day and that has freed us up to set routes that are more focused on the enjoying the roads on offer in either the Upper Middle or Lower Nth Island, so this year, like all good hobbits from Middle Earth, we are venturing back into the east. (More on that in the thread below)

The 1KC is an informal ride for all riders from hardened endurance riding veterans to those barely off restricted. For North Islanders that thought the North Island 1600 might be fun but want something a bit easier first, or the Iron Butts that just want a decent daylight ride....and it's all for a good cause, Muscular Dystrophy.

We try to choose flowy routes that are a blend of easy riding with some of our favourite wee fangs. This year's offerings should provide another pleasant wee pootle, hopefully with maybe a couple of new roads to some.

The $20 is required at time of registration please and we have to order the badges, so these can’t be guaranteed for entries received after 20/10/14. Account details will be supplied on application.

As per previous years, Ride Instructions and a Briefing will be emailed the week before the event.

PS: The money raised for the MDA goes towards a fund that is used to buy presents for children with muscular dystrophy. Many thanks to all those riders that have tried the ride, and if you don’t want to ride, feel free to donate anyway.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise started by KoroJ View original post
    Comments 335 Comments
      KoroJ -
      The 1KC South(1000K Cruise)
      Saturday 07 November

Departs: Caltex Rimutaka, Upper Hutt.
      Check-in opens 0630 - 0700. Depart when you're ready
      Organised Start also from Masterton and the Manawatu Riders start early to restart from Welly then finish back at Palmy. Details TBA.

Route is ≈1,016km via: (* denotes digital pic required)
      Rimutakas - Masterton - Alfredton* - Pahiatua - Gorge - Rangiwahia* - Tihoi* - Taupo -Puketapu*- * - Elsthorpe - Waipuk’ - * - Wimbledon - Woodville* - Parrot ‘n Jigger
      Refreshments & Meals available at P’nJ to enjoy over the trading of lies.

Entry Fee: $20 (Covers Badge plus proceeds to Muscular Dystrophy)
      To guarantee a Year Bar, entry must be in by 20/10/14

Badges & Certificates awarded on sighting Check-Point evidence at completion of the ride.

As an informal ride, you and your bike are your responsibility to ensure both are capable of completing the course. There is no recovery vehicle organised.
      A register of riders will be kept to ensure everyone returns.
      There are Spot Prizes funded by Protecta Insurance, who have also made a generous donation to the Muscular Dystrophy coffers.
      It is not a race and should be easily doable at a sedate pace with stops…enjoy the ride.

The ride will go ahead rain, hail or shine….probably....or pending the Wed/Thurs forecast.

Enquiries & Registrations here:–
      http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/the...e-the-1kc.html
      KoroJ -
      The 1KC North(1000K Cruise)
      Saturday 07 November

Departs: Waikato Commerce Club, Collingwood St, Hamilton.
      Check-in opens 0630 - 0700. Depart when you're ready

Route is ≈1,015km via: (* denotes digital pic required)
      Hamilton - Tauranga – Kiwi360* - Whakatane - Te Araroa - Tokomaru Bay* - Gisborne - Ormond* - Opotiki - Tane Atua - Lake Rotoehu* - Putararu - Te Kawa - Otorohanga* - Commerce Club
      Refreshments & Meals available at Commerce Club to enjoy over the trading of lies.

Entry Fee: $20 (Covers Badge &/or Year Bar plus proceeds to Muscular Dystrophy)
      To guarantee a Year Bar, entry must be in by 20/10/14

Badges & Certificates awarded on sighting Check-Point evidence at completion of the ride.

As an informal ride, you and your bike are your responsibility to ensure both are capable of completing the course. There is no recovery vehicle organised.
      A register of riders will be kept to ensure everyone returns.
      There are Spot Prizes funded by Protecta Insurance, who have also made a generous donation to the Muscular Dystrophy coffers.
      It is not a race and should be easily doable at a sedate pace with stops…enjoy the ride.

The ride will go ahead rain, hail or shine….probably....or pending the Wed/Thurs forecast.

Enquiries & Registrations here:–
      http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/the...e-the-1kc.html
      banditrider -
      Route looks good!
      awa355 -
      Bummer! I thought we weren't getting told the route until a week before. (maybe I have the wrong ride). Does it have to be ridden in that sequence? or can it be ridden anticlockwise?.

Should be a good run.
      KoroJ -
      Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
      Bummer! I thought we weren't getting told the route until a week before. (maybe I have the wrong ride). Does it have to be ridden in that sequence? or can it be ridden anticlockwise?.

Should be a good run.
      The briefng, sample checkpoint photos and route instructions are sent to registered riders a week before the event in order to plan their ride and fuel stops. We usually get route maps posted up from the info given, but oddly enough, I've yet to see anyone get it right.

This event being somewhat easier than the NI1600 and aimed at a wider segment of riders, we give more details so that those trying this type of event for the first time have more info to tempt them and don't find the prospect too daunting.
      nzspokes -
      Hmm, could be into this if dates work out.
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post

Should be a good run.
      Intrigued about your comments
      I guess you can ride anyway you want as long as you hit the checkpoints.
      The other points are for fuel? etc and a suggested route?

Are you thinking of sunstrike, riding along the coast on the edge? or because the roads are better near the end of the ride in that direction(as tired riders near the end).

Nice, that the sort of route is posted gives me a better idea of what it is about and if I should even remotely think about it.
      I haven't ridden any of those roads so I have no idea of what they are like or fuel/pitstop access etc, so I am open to suggestions.

Awa what where you thinking - you must have had something in mind.
      awa355 -
      Eldog, Don't have any particular reason for wondering about which way round. The only advantage to me doing it in reverse would mean I don't ride past home (Te Awamutu) with still another 30k to go to the finish back in Hamilton, then have to turn around and ride home. But that's no biggie.

I am hoping a work mate will be coming as well as a regular KB riding mate. I will only be on my 250 cruiser, without the luxury of heated grips, windshield etc. Did a similar ride way back along almost the same route. My 13yr son on the back of the XZ400, we clocked up 890k that day and it didn't feel like an 'epic' ride (then). I'm a wee tad older these days tho'.
      caspernz -
      Yep, will bring my GN250 along for this trip around the block.
      nzspokes -
      Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
      Yep, will bring my GN250 along for this trip around the block.
      I will watch out for you when you come past on the Ginny.

Will have to make up my mind If I stay in Hamilton or ride to the start.
      caspernz -
      Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
      I will watch out for you when you come past on the Ginny.

Will have to make up my mind If I stay in Hamilton or ride to the start.
      Oh c'mon now, I'm just a slow coach on two wheels...nothing to prove

Yeah not sure about the overnighting bit myself, be a good hour from where I live to the start/end.
      nzspokes -
      Oh c'mon now, I'm just a slow coach on two wheels...nothing to prove

Yeah not sure about the overnighting bit myself, be a good hour from where I live to the start/end.
      Yes will be cruise pace. Will work myself out a rolling average and stick to that I guess.

Hour and a half for me so will work on that one.

Next year would like to do the 1000 mile one.
      KoroJ -
      Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
      Intrigued about your comments
      .......The other points are for fuel? etc and a suggested route?

.........I haven't ridden any of those roads so I have no idea of what they are like or fuel/pitstop access etc, so I am open to suggestions.

There should be fuel at Te Araroa Store and Mayfair store in Tokomaru Bay (and Tologa Bay and Te Puia Springs....but I'm not too sure about them). If I were doing that route, I might get to Gisborne....but I'd have to be too gentle and that wouldn't be much fun. I could do Mayfair, but then I'd probably need to gas in Otorohanga or there-about, so for a two stop plan I'd probably gas in Opotiki and Gisborne? If you can't make it that far....well that's just a shame and planning will be required....and maybe even carrying some gas. I'm sure Caspernz will be.

I haven't been around East Cape since the 2011 GC so I can't comment on the state of the roads, but it's usually a good ride
      nzspokes -
      Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
      There should be fuel at Te Araroa Store and Mayfair store in Tokomaru Bay (and Tologa Bay and Te Puia Springs....but I'm not too sure about them). If I were doing that route, I might get to Gisborne....but I'd have to be too gentle and that wouldn't be much fun. I could do Mayfair, but then I'd probably need to gas in Otorohanga or there-about, so for a two stop plan I'd probably gas in Opotiki and Gisborne? If you can't make it that far....well that's just a shame and planning will be required....and maybe even carrying some gas. I'm sure Caspernz will be.

I haven't been around East Cape since the 2011 GC so I can't comment on the state of the roads, but it's usually a good ride
      I will have to go 3 stops, you know old man bladder and all.
      awa355 -
      Will be a spare bed at our place for the Fri/Sat nights.

Taxi driver Google shows pumps at Waihau bay, 100k from Opotiki. Waihau bay to Gisborne, 225k.
      All up Opotiki to Gisborne approx 326k.
      FJRider -
      I will have to go 3 stops, you know old man bladder and all.
      Google maps show G.A.S. stations at Te Puia Springs, Tolaga Bay ... and Tokomaru Bay ...
      caspernz -
      Yes will be cruise pace. Will work myself out a rolling average and stick to that I guess.

Hour and a half for me so will work on that one.

Next year would like to do the 1000 mile one.
      Pace isn't a big deal, just keep stops to a minimum and brief, no need to hussle too much to clock the 1000 clicks in under 12 hours.

My better half is turning it into a weekend with overnights before and after, she's gonna be disappointed when she goes to the High St in Hamilton for a shopping expedition while I go for a ride

Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post

John, just FYI, BP Opotiki to Pak'N'Save Gizzy fuel stop the Busa did earlier this year without hassle. Mildly restrained pace, around 320 on the odo. Road conditions at the time about average, anyone wanna add to that?

Will debate whether to haul a gallon of dinosaur juice just to be sure...
      nzspokes -
      Pace isn't a big deal, just keep stops to a minimum and brief, no need to hussle too much to clock the 1000 clicks in under 12 hours.

My better half is turning it into a weekend with overnights before and after, she's gonna be disappointed when she goes to the High St in Hamilton for a shopping expedition while I go for a ride

John, just FYI, BP Opotiki to Pak'N'Save Gizzy fuel stop the Busa did earlier this year without hassle. Mildly restrained pace, around 320 on the odo. Road conditions at the time about average, anyone wanna add to that?

Will debate whether to haul a gallon of dinosaur juice just to be sure...
      What do you carry the spare gas in? Im normally 300 to reserve but knowing my luck....
      caspernz -
      What do you carry the spare gas in? Im normally 300 to reserve but knowing my luck....
      Got a tailbag (for the pillion seat) that fits a 5 ltr plastic fuel container. Funnily enough I prefer toting 40,000 plus litres in the truck...
      nzspokes -
      Got a tailbag (for the pillion seat) that fits a 5 ltr plastic fuel container. Funnily enough I prefer toting 40,000 plus litres in the truck...
      Yeah, not sure I would be keen.
  • Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events