• Most Active Threads

Rcktfsh

Optimistic sellers

Thread Starter: Rcktfsh

This trader must be pretty hard to outdo as far as optimism goes. Bike has been on the market for a year now, wonder when the penny will drop he''s dreaming at that price. You'd have thought after a year he might have got round to the little bit of tlc required to get running. ...

Last Post By: F5 Dave Yesterday, 19:09 Go to last post
    onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: Autech Today, 06:03 Go to last post
    dangerous

older riders surviving badly

Thread Starter: dangerous

... this has been on my mind a bit of late, more so the last week with the 2nd funeral of a friend on Saturday, earlier in the year was a very dear friend at 49yrs old, hers was avery freak acco... last week a van turned in front of a friend... 48yrs... Now Im 50 and I know I have passed my "best...

Last Post By: SPman Yesterday, 15:59 Go to last post
    SaferRides

Unopened brake fluid shelf life?

Thread Starter: SaferRides

Pretty much what the thread title says. There is a variety of opinions for opened containers, but little info on how long you should keep unopened fluid. I have some that was made in 10/2017 and am hesitant to use it.

Last Post By: SaferRides Yesterday, 06:31 Go to last post
    rastuscat

Psychology of road safety

Thread Starter: rastuscat

For those who have too much time on their hands. Interesting thoughts on road safety. And the arguments as to why driver education isn't the golden egg it's made out to be. Pete

Last Post By: jellywrestler Yesterday, 20:31 Go to last post
  • 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

This event is coming to you from The NZ Distance Riders and is a rebranded and expanded event from what was the C1KC (Capital 1,000Km Cruise). We have a website here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/ and Facebook page: NZ Distance Riders.

We are now introducing a northern event out of Hamilton on the same day and that has freed us up to set routes that are more focused on the enjoying the roads on offer in either the Upper Middle or Lower Nth Island, so this year, like all good hobbits from Middle Earth, we are venturing back into the east. (More on that in the thread below)

The 1KC is an informal ride for all riders from hardened endurance riding veterans to those barely off restricted. For North Islanders that thought the North Island 1600 might be fun but want something a bit easier first, or the Iron Butts that just want a decent daylight ride....and it's all for a good cause, Muscular Dystrophy.

We try to choose flowy routes that are a blend of easy riding with some of our favourite wee fangs. This year's offerings should provide another pleasant wee pootle, hopefully with maybe a couple of new roads to some.

The $20 is required at time of registration please and we have to order the badges, so these can’t be guaranteed for entries received after 20/10/14. Account details will be supplied on application.

As per previous years, Ride Instructions and a Briefing will be emailed the week before the event.

PS: The money raised for the MDA goes towards a fund that is used to buy presents for children with muscular dystrophy. Many thanks to all those riders that have tried the ride, and if you don’t want to ride, feel free to donate anyway.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise started by KoroJ View original post
    Comments 335 Comments
      eldog -
      Anyone else see Long John pacing like a Lion in his cage. Mbike at the ready?
      Euro2018 -
      Well, I tried and failed. Didn't manage to complete the 1KC, but came close.

By the time I reached Taupo (about 700km from the start) a family problem was emerging at home that needed me to be there, but I was also coming to the realisation that if I continued through to the finish I'd be dangerously fatigued and riding in the dark. Mostly brought on by getting soaked wet in the first two hours and then being wet & cold for the rest of the day.

Lessons learned :

Leather riding gear might save your skin sliding down the road, but it won't keep you dry in the rain.
      Fewer gadgets on your bike lets you concentrate on the riding
      (I had put a couple of GoPros and a GPS speedo on, but they were distracting)
      My throttle grip (supplied by Fast Bike Gear) provided welcome relief for my right hand (not the sort of right handed relief you're thinking)

Thanks to eldog for accompanying me on the trip.

On a positive note, my bike worked fine, and I did manage to clock up around 850km over 12 hours under difficult circumstances.

So I'm still keen on trying for the TT2000. Being in February the days will be longer, warmer and I'll be better prepared.
      The two longest legs of the TT2000 are about the same distance, so as long as I stay dry it's probably achievable.
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by Euro2018 View Post
      Well, I tried and failed. Didn't manage to complete the 1KC, but came close.

By the time I reached Taupo (about 700km from the start) a family problem was emerging at home that needed me to be there, but I was also coming to the realisation that if I continued through to the finish I'd be dangerously fatigued and riding in the dark. Mostly brought on by getting soaked wet in the first two hours and then being wet & cold for the rest of the day.

Lessons learned :

Leather riding gear might save your skin sliding down the road, but it won't keep you dry in the rain.
      Fewer gadgets on your bike lets you concentrate on the riding
      (I had put a couple of GoPros and a GPS speedo on, but they were distracting)
      My throttle grip (supplied by Fast Bike Gear) provided welcome relief for my right hand (not the sort of right handed relief you're thinking)

Thanks to eldog for accompanying me on the trip.

On a positive note, my bike worked fine, and I did manage to clock up around 850km over 12 hours under difficult circumstances.

So I'm still keen on trying for the TT2000. Being in February the days will be longer, warmer and I'll be better prepared.
      The two longest legs of the TT2000 are about the same distance, so as long as I stay dry it's probably achievable.
      You gave it a good go
      I did wonder how you were, since you were soaking/dripping wet at the first CP - the leathers aren't that water proof
      The cold can suck the energy from you on long rides.

No worries - nice to have someone along for the ride

I think you will need a fuel tanker......
      and a spare battery

and if you need someone else along for the ride drop me a line, you never know I might be free.
      caspernz -
      Entries are open for the 2018 version of 1KC...

My entry is in, leave is booked, now for the offerings to the weather gods
      release_the_bees -
      Form downloaded. I will fill it in at lunchtime.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
      eldog -
      The form is out. Good to hear.

1KC & NI 800 paid and booked

now need to get some riding in.

not long to wait.....

its the route planning for the NI800 I find slow.
      insomnia01 -
      entry form sent, fee paid now we have to wait how many months ?????
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
      entry form sent, fee paid now we have to wait how many months ?????
      Just 1 now.

after NI 800 practice ride, to get some ride time(rain, rain, rain has been usual this year), should be a good one, looking forward to it. Bring on the 5th for instructions.
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
      Just 1 now.

after NI 800 practice ride, to get some ride time(rain, rain, rain has been usual this year), should be a good one, looking forward to it. Bring on the 5th for instructions.
      I have already done a couple of 1000km rides over the past few months & planning on doing something similar over labour weekend
      eldog -
      I have already done a couple of 1000km rides over the past few months & planning on doing something similar over labour weekend

too much
      I am getting better at using the GPS(I would like to think so) but I think the software has just improved to look after people like me.
      my arse is just recovering from the last 800 ride Still don't know how I managed to do 2 gravel sections.
      Still looking forward to it though. Going to have to check out the starting point maybe this weekend(always get lost in the Tron)
      insomnia01 -
      too much
      I am getting better at using the GPS(I would like to think so) but I think the software has just improved to look after people like me.
      my arse is just recovering from the last 800 ride Still don't know how I managed to do 2 gravel sections.
      Still looking forward to it though. Going to have to check out the starting point maybe this weekend(always get lost in the Tron)

pre-ride done 867kms in just over 10hrs ready to go !!!
      eldog -
      pre-ride done 867kms in just over 10hrs ready to go !!!
      and i would be still riding 2+ hrs later, still with a silly grin on my face
      or is that a grimace from the pain?

good on you for getting out in the great weather we have been having
      insomnia01 -
      and i would be still riding 2+ hrs later, still with a silly grin on my face
      or is that pain?

good on you for getting out in the great weather we have been having
      roll on the 10th Nov
      release_the_bees -
      Instructions and check points have just been received.

Bike goes in for a 40k service on Monday.

I'm looking forward to the 10th.

eldog -
      Thanks for the heads up about mail out.Was waiting till 5th.Part way through trip planning so far.I think I might wear out the inidicator switch, on the 1/4 to 2/4 of the ride.Going to have to be careful about Fuel stops in the middle, may do extra stop just to make sure.And of course the Hamilton maze at the end.
      insomnia01 -
      route looks cool !! although the first leg will be slow going & I haven't done a "Coro Loop" for awhile with the rest being nice & easy with the odd bit that could be swapped out for alternative stretch of road
      veldthui -
      Looks like it might be a wet cruise for the Hamilton side looking at the long range forecast.
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
      Looks like it might be a wet cruise for the Hamilton side looking at the long range forecast.
      just like the past few years ay John!
      eldog -
      Just got the GPS to play ball, well almost.
      Went and found the start.
      Only a few more hours
      Off for some well needed kip.
      release_the_bees -
      Off for some well needed kip.
      Lucky bugger!

I'm about to head to Hamilton. I've only managed to get 3-4 hours sleep. It's going to be a long and interesting day.

At least the weather seems reasonable.

• Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events