• Most Active Threads

onearmedbandit

MotoGP 2024

Thread Starter: onearmedbandit

With only 2 days until the new year, and just over 2 months until the season starts it's time for a new thread. Who's your money on? Will Bagnia do the triple? Will Marc return to former glory and bring us a season in which he dominates? Will Martin secure his dream to win a championship?...

Last Post By: onearmedbandit Today, 09:10 Go to last post
    rastuscat

Psychology of road safety

Thread Starter: rastuscat

For those who have too much time on their hands. Interesting thoughts on road safety. And the arguments as to why driver education isn't the golden egg it's made out to be. Pete

Last Post By: F5 Dave Today, 17:39 Go to last post
    SaferRides

Unopened brake fluid shelf life?

Thread Starter: SaferRides

Pretty much what the thread title says. There is a variety of opinions for opened containers, but little info on how long you should keep unopened fluid. I have some that was made in 10/2017 and am hesitant to use it.

Last Post By: F5 Dave Today, 17:44 Go to last post
  • 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

This event is coming to you from The NZ Distance Riders and is a rebranded and expanded event from what was the C1KC (Capital 1,000Km Cruise). We have a website here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/ and Facebook page: NZ Distance Riders.

We are now introducing a northern event out of Hamilton on the same day and that has freed us up to set routes that are more focused on the enjoying the roads on offer in either the Upper Middle or Lower Nth Island, so this year, like all good hobbits from Middle Earth, we are venturing back into the east. (More on that in the thread below)

The 1KC is an informal ride for all riders from hardened endurance riding veterans to those barely off restricted. For North Islanders that thought the North Island 1600 might be fun but want something a bit easier first, or the Iron Butts that just want a decent daylight ride....and it's all for a good cause, Muscular Dystrophy.

We try to choose flowy routes that are a blend of easy riding with some of our favourite wee fangs. This year's offerings should provide another pleasant wee pootle, hopefully with maybe a couple of new roads to some.

The $20 is required at time of registration please and we have to order the badges, so these can’t be guaranteed for entries received after 20/10/14. Account details will be supplied on application.

As per previous years, Ride Instructions and a Briefing will be emailed the week before the event.

PS: The money raised for the MDA goes towards a fund that is used to buy presents for children with muscular dystrophy. Many thanks to all those riders that have tried the ride, and if you don’t want to ride, feel free to donate anyway.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise started by KoroJ View original post
    Comments 335 Comments
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
      Knowing my luck, I'd be behind a convoy going one way, and it would be pissing down coming back.
      long range forecast is for rain in the Gisborne area but fine everywhere else so that's 1 out of the 2 for you Arthur
      eldog -
      Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
      long range forecast is for rain in the Gisborne area but fine everywhere else so that's 1 out of the 2 for you Arthur
      If we find out which way Awa if going then we go the opposite we should be fine..... see what i did there?

Looking at the instructions, I am bound to get lost on this one.
      awa355 -
      I'm doing the ride the same way as everyone else. I don't mind rain at all, but would prefer not to have it right from the start.

You wont get lost, if in any doubts about the Wharepapa sth roads, just stick to the main Arapuni- Kihikihi road then follow sh3 to Oto. Wont be any less k's and can't get lost.
      eldog -
      I'm doing the ride the same way as everyone else. I don't mind rain at all, but would prefer not to have it right from the start.
      very true. rain would put a damper on it. hopefully its a light cloud cover and warm.

back to getting the route organised.
      awa355 -
      I phoned Waihau Bay store this morning. Yes they have gas and guess what? The pump should be fixed by Saturday.

Te Puia Springs, yes they have plenty of fuel and will be open.

Mayfair store at Tokomaru Bay has fuel and there is a 2nd set of pumps just down the road. 234k from Opotiki, just past the main tank range of my 250.

Methinks, some spare fuel may be a wise choice.

Update, Friday afternoon, the Waihau bay store fuel pumps are operating, have 91 and diesel (for the Hardleys).
      awa355 -
      Muscular Distrophy.

Had a sobering experience yesterday morning. I turned into a street about 8.30am. A young lad turned to watch the bike and fell over as he stepped onto a driveway apron. He had special boots on and a steel type frame supporting both legs. I pulled up as he got back on his feet. He was unhurt and on his way to school. He wanted to be able to walk to school so his mother didn't have to take him all the time.

It really hit home how lucky I have been to have had a full lifetime able to jump, run walk without thinking about it. I caught him falling on the gopro camera which was on at the time. I don't know who the lad is, but I choked a wee bit watching his fall and getting himself back up, on film later. He had red hair just like my grandson.

After the ride tomorrow some of us will grizzle about a being stiff and sore. If only one such day was all these kids had to put up with, I think they would happily do it.
      Moi -
      There but for the grace of God go I...

+1 on just how lucky we are...
      s1l3ntworld -
      To those that stopped at SH5 accident scene, and checked if the other rider and I were doing okay and gave your comfort, I wanted to express my tremendous gratitude.
      insomnia01 -
      Quote Originally Posted by s1l3ntworld View Post
      To those that stopped at SH5 accident scene, and checked if the other rider and I were doing okay and gave your comfort, I wanted to express my tremendous gratitude.
      Hope all is well
      s1l3ntworld -
      Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
      Hope all is well
      A fatality, sadly.
      awa355 -
      Tragic about the fatality from the Wellington end. I certainly hope the ones involved with being there are okay.

As for my first 1,000k ride, I got home not being as knackered as I'd thought I would be. The little 250 went like a rocket. I will write something up later and post as a blog.
      Hitcher -
      Please, no ghoulish speculation about yesterday's accident or posting rider details until after the Police have made those public. The usual Kiwi Biker protocols about biker deaths apply.
      awa355 -
      A few photos of Saturday's ride, taken from the GoPro camera except the first.

Looking back towards Opotiki.

Heading down to one of the bridge crossings.

The coastline up around Waihau Bay, I think?.

The last of the Mohican's.

Being chased outa town.

The late afternoon sun in the Waioeka Gorge.
      eldog -
      As for my first 1,000k ride, I got home not being as knackered as I'd thought I would be. The little 250 went like a rocket. I will write something up later and post as a blog.
      your first? I did one a couple of weeks ago as a practise for this. A few less corners though.

I wasn't as knackered as I thought either. Only real problem was sunstrike-whiteout in the early evening, couldn't see a thing.

rocket - that's an understatement you sure that bike isn't supercharged?

great ride, great weather, perfect. even if the TEC had trouble keeping up.

check out AWAs ride report in the Waikato Rides Blog http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130919953
      The Baron -
      I had a great 1k ride. Went on roads I hadn't been on before. Got lost twice. Took seven check point photo's. Had at least one photo taken of me. (it should arrive in the next 10 days). Found a nail in the rear tyre at the 700km mark. Just about ran out of fuel while still in the outback of Taupo. Got home feeling great, well until the next day, moving a bit slow on Sunday. Over all a good day out.

So what happen on your ride? Please share.

I was saddened to learn of the loss of one of our riders. My thoughts are with his friends and family at this sad time.
      ntst8 -
      I had a great run too, Hamilton loop.
      I signed up with 2 others, who both withdrew and apologised before the event, so did the ride solo.
      Off at 6.40am, out through Scotsmans Valley to avoid SH1 (bit longer but prob not much slower), did the photo-stops plus stopped for fuel at Opotiki, a pie at Te Araroa (and a chat with the Triumph owners on their memorial run), fuel at Gisborne and Putaruru. Felt a bit tired/sore around Waihau Bay but second wind after that and felt better as the day went on.
      Back at base by 7.35pm, an hour earlier than planned, with 1032km on the GPS.
      Home before 8.00pm, just in time for my wallet to cook dinner - conned into taking the family for a curry.
      Toymotor -
      May the one we lost ride in peace.

Put together a time lapse of the nth 1KC. Played with the gopro at the kiwifruit to check it was on, only to find out later I had stopped recorded, should've left the damn thing alone

Big Dog -
      Muscular Distrophy.

Had a sobering experience yesterday morning. I turned into a street about 8.30am. A young lad turned to watch the bike and fell over as he stepped onto a driveway apron. He had special boots on and a steel type frame supporting both legs. I pulled up as he got back on his feet. He was unhurt and on his way to school. He wanted to be able to walk to school so his mother didn't have to take him all the time.

It really hit home how lucky I have been to have had a full lifetime able to jump, run walk without thinking about it. I caught him falling on the gopro camera which was on at the time. I don't know who the lad is, but I choked a wee bit watching his fall and getting himself back up, on film later. He had red hair just like my grandson.

After the ride tomorrow some of us will grizzle about a being stiff and sore. If only one such day was all these kids had to put up with, I think they would happily do it.
      My mother had four children. I am the only one unaffected by this curse.
      My brothers and sisters envy many things I take for granted.
      A full head of hair.
      Being able to answer the door without a walking frame.
      Being able to sleep without an oxygen pump.
      Being able to have a bedroom bigger than a prison cell because it takes to long to cross the floor in an emergency.
      Being able to have a job.
      Being able to go camping.
      Being able to ride a bike.
      Being able to choose clothes by what I want to wear rather than what I can do up by myself.
      Being able to open a jar without tools or a can without power tools.

I have many challenges in life, but they pale in comparison.

To top it all off neither brother will see 50. My sister is unlikely to see 65.

Sent via tapatalk.
      awa355 -
      Aside from the loss of the young man on the Wellington ride, one disappointment for me, was none of us who chat on this forum came up and introduced ourselves in person while at the start or at any of the stops. Well, no one intro'd themselves to me (maybe that should be telling myself something about me ).

My 37 seconds worth, camera mount was a wee bit loose.
      Toymotor -
      Aside from the loss of the young man on the Wellington ride, one disappointment for me, was none of us who chat on this forum came up and introduced ourselves in person while at the start or at any of the stops. Well, no one intro'd themselves to me (maybe that should be telling myself something about me ).

At the start of the ride, I was wanting to get on the road as fast as possible, I didn't stick around. Met a few people along the way and back at the club, whether they were KB members or not never came up though. I don't recall seeing any cruisers or recognizing any bikes at the stops, as I surely would have approached. One guy I kept bumping into and ended up following after Toku and again in Putaruru used to own an M50, good chap but i'm shit with names.
  • Todays Events

No events scheduled in
    the next days.

Upcoming Events